GM V8 for Ridgeline. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: RT
Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige
Posts: 36
GM V8 for Ridgeline.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/future/honda/honda.html

It almost happened...

In fact, half of the deal did happen. Saturn Vues are now using Honda 3.5 liter V6s.

I want an LS2 powered Ridgeline!
AccordV6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Green With Envy Moderator
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2006
Color: Amazon Green / Olive
Posts: 2,356
Send a message via AIM to zero
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Very interesting. I wonder why plans for a V8 were shelved.

Or could we see a future Ridgeline with a V8?

When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners. Then we can really learn something.
zero is offline  
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:31 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore
 
1manparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego
Model: *Not a Ridgeline owner
Model Year: 2006
Color: Other
Posts: 152
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Perhaps GM got scared. They don't need anymore competition. Honda is a engine company that also makes cars. They sold some 17 million in 2003, and project 20 million in 2005. So for Honda to sell more engines is great for them, no matter where they are going. But who knows, maybe Honda will use someone else's engine in the cars, but I don't think so.

2004 Accord GP LX
2009 Pilot LX
As long as it is powered by Honda
1manparty is offline  
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 06:58 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: White / Beige
Posts: 32
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

.

Thankfully it was not done .... Honda does not need a gas guzzler V-8 with
poor performance .

The current V-6 layout , with a few " adjustments " will be more than up to
putting the competition away .

Honda has successfully " trashed " 50 years of truck building with their first
venture .... the best is yet to come .

.
H345 is offline  
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:42 AM
ROC Rank: Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Posts: 995
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

If you want GM engine, buy a GM truck. I expect to get a Honda engine in my Honda truck. I'm paying the premium for Honda reliability.
Ridge is offline  
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:34 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 202
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

1manparty,

Based on the way Honda engines are scoring in open wheel racing, my guess is that they can make thier own engine if they need a V8, and continue the V6.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manparty
Perhaps GM got scared. They don't need anymore competition. Honda is a engine company that also makes cars. They sold some 17 million in 2003, and project 20 million in 2005. So for Honda to sell more engines is great for them, no matter where they are going. But who knows, maybe Honda will use someone else's engine in the cars, but I don't think so.
delphi7x10 is offline  
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: RT
Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige
Posts: 36
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H345
.

Thankfully it was not done .... Honda does not need a gas guzzler V-8 with
poor performance .

The current V-6 layout , with a few " adjustments " will be more than up to
putting the competition away .

Honda has successfully " trashed " 50 years of truck building with their first
venture .... the best is yet to come .

.
"Gas guzzler V8 with poor performance?"

Compare the performance AND the fuel economy of the new C6 Corvette to the Acura NSX & the Honda S2000 and then get back to me.

Last edited by AccordV6; 03-13-2005 at 03:20 PM.
AccordV6 is offline  
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: RT
Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige
Posts: 36
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
If you want GM engine, buy a GM truck. I expect to get a Honda engine in my Honda truck. I'm paying the premium for Honda reliability.
So a 300 HP, 325 LB-FT, aluminum block/aluminum head V8 that yielded similar fuel economy to the present V6 would be a bad idea.

Did people who bought "Honda" Passports get Honda anything?
AccordV6 is offline  
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
ROC Rank: Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Posts: 995
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordV6
So a 300 HP, 325 LB-FT, aluminum block/aluminum head V8 that yielded similar fuel economy to the present V6 would be a bad idea.

Did people who bought "Honda" Passports get Honda anything?
It can have great specs, but not great reliability. I'm buying Honda and Toyota for their bullet proof reputation. I don't think GM is know for a similar reputation. If they were, their resale value would reflect it....... and I didn't buy a Passport.
Ridge is offline  
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: RT
Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige
Posts: 36
Re: GM V8 for Ridgeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
It can have great specs, but not great reliability. I'm buying Honda and Toyota for their bullet proof reputation. I don't think GM is know for a similar reputation. If they were, their resale value would reflect it....... and I didn't buy a Passport.
On what set of facts are you basing your ENGINE reliability statements on?

Have you ever been in a vehicle powered by an LS1/LS1 derived engine?

I have. I owned an '99 LS1 powered Z28. The car was lacking in many areas compared to a Honda. The engine was NOT one of those areas. And it's more than just "specs;" it's also seat-of-the-pants. It made my V6 Accord seem slow in comparison while yielding real world fuel mileage that was strikingly comparable.

Ever witness 2,000 RPM @ 92 MPH (in 6th gear) without even having to think about downshifting in order to pass?

Ever see a car pull cleanly in 6th gear with 600 RPM showing on the tach?

GM could learn a lot from Honda.

But Honda could learn a lot from GM about making inexpensive, POWERFUL and fuel efficient V8s.

Last edited by AccordV6; 03-13-2005 at 04:12 PM.
AccordV6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome