How Long Will The OEM Battery Last - Page 5 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2013
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl
Re: How Long Will The OEM Battery Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time. Get enough of it in the system and it can cause rust as well as a problem with the water boiling in the calipers under hard braking.

Many recommendations for ABS brake systems are to replace the fluid between 12 and 24 months. I usually do it when I change the pads/rotors, which is usually between 2-3 years.

And for what it is worth, I agree $60.00 is a good price.
With very low mileage on my 2008, I will be doing one of 2 options this fall; trade for a 2013 or keep the 2008 forever. If I keep the 2008 I will be changeling all fluids, including brake fluid, Battery, and tires. It should last for the rest of my driving life!!

25 Year Honda Owner
“The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with." Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+

Model Year: 2010
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

I can remember when it cost $45 for a brake fluid flush, $60 is reasonable. And its fast.

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5 (out of 5)
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2012
Color: White/Grey

So the consensus among those in the preventative maintenance camp is 3 years for the battery.

Now here's the kicker. Assuming you bought it new, is it three years from when you rolled off the lot, or 3 years from the birth date of the truck on the door placard?
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2008
Color: Billet Silver Metallic

It's not hard and fast like that. I got 4+ years out of my RL OEM battery. The only reason I changed it was that I could tell it was spinning the engine over slower. So I premptively changed it out.

Some have gone far longer and some far shorter. A typical indication of a failing battery is the fright light display... lots of crazy warning lights on the display... or other erratic indication. Which is why you'll see one of the first questions asked is, "How old is your battery?" And, "Have you had it load tested?"

2008 Ridgeline RTS in BSM

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

1999 Civic LX 5 speed manual in flat black
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray

I have an 06 that still has the Factory battery in it. I am planning to change it soon though since im noticing it getting weak and winters here arent kind to bad batteries.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Color: Other

I am still with the original too, it got discharged about 3 or 4 times for having the doors open and the key with the radio on for a while, I recharged it and always works, I have had a 6 channel power amp for several months, sometimes listen to music for 10 min with the engine off and no issues yet. I plan to change it soon, but knowing me, my past and having AAA service I may wait until it takes me by surprise just like it does to most. I guess I am lucky that in my area it never gets way too cold and the last winters have been warm and only very cold for a few days before it is a warm cold weather.
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2007
Color: Aberdeen Green Metallic
Send a message via AIM to 07inny

I just replaced mine last night. Date of birth of the truck was July Of 2006. I took delivery February of 2009 with full warranties. And i got 44 months of it. Guess it could have lasted a little bit longer but we are coming into the cold months now and don't want to have to keep jump starting it...

My Car
2007 Ridge RTS Bought new 02/07/09
Wifes Car
2007 Pilot EX Bought New 11/14/06
My Toy
1986 300 ZX 2+2GLL 54000 Original Miles Fair Weather Car
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model Year: 2009
Color: Bali Blue Pearl
Send a message via AIM to MDVE39

I got 46 months out of the original battery. Dealer replaced it with the Honda 100 month battery for $69.95 installed. Didn't think that was a bad deal.

2009 RTL Bali Blue (mine)
Cargo tray, trunk mat, wheel locks, rear splash guards, pin stripes, Garmin Nuvi 200, Sportwing door moldings

2007 RTL Billet Silver - Totaled

2006 Odyssey EX-L Sage Brush Pearl (wife's)

2005 Kia Optima (kids) Traded

2013 Kia Sorento (Daughter)
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
So the consensus among those in the preventative maintenance camp is 3 years for the battery.

Now here's the kicker. Assuming you bought it new, is it three years from when you rolled off the lot, or 3 years from the birth date of the truck on the door placard?
Three years is very much the consensus on Honda batteries. It's the same view over in my old haunt the Piloteers forum to.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Depends where you live. In AZ where I live you can expect much shorter battery life.

I replaced mine with a Walmart special on Saturday, it failed after 5.5 years and 70k miles. Last 6 months I've been living in AZ, moved from WA state. I suspect if I had stayed in WA, battery would still be OK. But no big deal, $90.00 and 3 year warranty, made by Johnson Controls, so I expect I'll get at least 3 years even in this climate.

Machog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode