LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Honda ASV-3 Safety Info.

Honda Completes Development of ASV-3 Advanced Safety Vehicles
SEPT 12 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has completed development of Honda ASV-3 Advanced Safety Vehicles equipped to exchange positional information with other vehicles using Inter-Vehicle Communication technology. This was a central objective of the five-year (April 2001-March 2006) Advanced Safety Vehicle (ASV) Project led by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.Honda ASV-3 vehicles are equipped with several new advanced safety technologies developed by Honda, including a system that uses cameras and radar to provide drivers with information on approaching vehicles and obstacles in the road; a system that offers driver support through steering and brake assist; and an emergency response system designed to aid in rescue efforts in the event of an accident. Honda plans to conduct further research and development of technologies deployed in the ASV-3 research vehicles with a view to implementing them in mass production vehicles.Honda ASV-3 vehicles represent the culmination of five years of progress since the introduction of the previous generation Honda ASV-2 safety technologies in 2000.
In addition to image recognition technology used to analyze images captured by on-board cameras, and radar technology used to detect obstacles in the road, ASV-3 vehicles use inter-vehicle communication to ascertain the condition and position of automobiles, motorcycles and pedestrians relative to each other - an especially important capability in situations where cameras and radar alone may be insufficient to gather such data. The system supports motorists' decision-making by rapidly relaying information in a clear, easy-to-understand fashion. This includes audio and visual warnings for motorcycle riders and automobile drivers, and simple tactile signals for drivers such as vibrating the brake or accelerator pedal or applying torque to the steering wheel.

- Honda ASV-3: Principal Technologies -Motorcycle and Automobile Communication Technology

< Oncoming Vehicle Information Assistance System > - This system exchanges vehicle information between automobiles and motorcycles, such as position, direction and speed. Motorcycle riders can view information about vehicles near them on a display, and can receive information through an in-helmet audio system. Drivers can view information on the status of motorcycles in their vicinity and receive warnings on their navigation system display.

< Intersection Stop & Go Assistance System >- Motorcycles - - This system analyzes images from the camera mounted on the front of the motorcycle to detect stop signs and either line markings or road markings. If the rider does not slow down when approaching an intersection, a warning appears on the motorcycle's display screen, and an audio warning sounds in the rider's helmet, prompting the rider to decelerate. - In addition, once the motorcycle has come to a stop, the Inter-Vehicle Communication System detects the position of any approaching vehicles, assisting the rider in determining whether it is safe to proceed through the intersection. - Automobiles - - Information on intersections that are without traffic signals is gathered from car navigation system data. Images from the vehicle's cameras are analyzed to detect stop lines and stop signs. Based on the vehicle's speed and distance to the stop line the system determines whether the vehicle is traveling at a speed that will enable it to stop by the time it reaches the stop line. If the vehicle is exceeding the appropriate speed, the system issues an audio warning while signaling the driver to slow down with a sensory warning via the application of gentle, intermittent braking. - Once the automobile has come to a stop, the Inter-Vehicle Communication System detects the position of any approaching vehicles and assists the driver in determining whether it is safe to proceed through the intersection.

Motorcycle Technologies< Rear View Assistance System > - The status of other vehicles approaching from behind is captured by a rear-mounted camera, and presented on the motorcycle's display. The system helps make maneuvers such as changing lanes safer by providing riders with information about vehicles approaching from the rear that are not easily seen in a rear view mirror.

Automobile Technology < Head-on Collision Avoidance Assistance System >- When an approaching vehicle is hidden from view, for example around a blind curve, the system communicates with the oncoming vehicle to ascertain important information such as its position, speed, and steering wheel angle. If the driver begins to change lanes into the path of an oncoming vehicle, the accelerator pedal vibrates and torque is applied to the steering wheel (pulling in the opposite direction from the driver), sending a tactile warning that prompts the driver to return to his or her own lane.

< Cornering Speed Control System > - As a vehicle approaches a curve, this system uses information from the vehicle's navigation system to assess the curvature of the road, and calculates the vehicle's appropriate speed. If the vehicle is traveling above that speed, the system applies the brakes to slow the car to the appropriate speed.- When a vehicle encounters unexpected changes in road conditions, such as a lane closing or road work not reflected in the navigation system data, the system uses information acquired from vehicles ahead traveling in the same direction and oncoming vehicles to determine the appropriate speed for the current road conditions.

< Adaptive Cruise Control System > - If a vehicle one or two vehicles ahead of the car slows down in a place such as a blind curve, where the vehicle can not be detected by radar, the Inter-Vehicle Communication System acquires deceleration data and calculates the appropriate speed for the car. If the car is traveling above the appropriate speed, the system issues an audio warning, and reduces the speed of the car.- If the vehicle directly ahead of the car is detectable by radar, the system uses the radar information to calculate the appropriate speed for the car (as with the existing Intelligent Highway Cruise Control system)

.< Advanced Adaptive Frontal-Lighting System > - Cars traveling at night exchange positional information via the Inter-Vehicle Communication System. As the vehicles approach a point close enough that one of the drivers could be blinded, the system automatically switches the headlights to low beam.- Even when visibility is limited, the system automatically switches the headlights to low beam just before vehicles pass each other to avoid blinding the driver of the oncoming vehicle.

< Pedestrian Detection, Vision-Based Pedestrian Detection System > - This system uses the Inter-Vehicle Communication System in combination with image analysis technology to detect pedestrians hidden from view who previously would suddenly appear on the road. The system issues the driver a warning and displays the pedestrian's location.- The system communicates with a pedestrian's portable transmitter to detect his or her presence in cases where he or she may be blocked from the driver's view, alerts the driver by sounding a warning, and then displays the pedestrian's location on the navigation system screen.- The system recognizes pedestrians by analyzing images captured by on-board cameras. If the pedestrian is located on the road, the system visually alerts the driver by placing a frame around the figure of the pedestrian displayed on the screen. Based on the vehicle's speed and distance to the pedestrian, the system determines if there is a risk of collision and, if so, issues a warning to the driver.

< Forward Obstacle Avoidance Assistance System > - This system provides compensatory steering and braking assist when a driver is slow to take evasive action when unexpectedly confronted with another vehicle or object appearing in the vehicle's path.- The radar system determines if another vehicle is in a driver's path. If the driver takes evasive action such as steering sharply away from the other vehicle, this system assists with steering and brake assists to support the driver.At the start of evasive action: the system provides steering assist to help the driver avoid the obstacle.During evasive action: the system reduces steering input to help prevent the driver from turning too sharply.After evasive action: the system provides steering assist if the driver is slow to return the vehicle to its original course, helping prevent the vehicle from spinning out of control.

< Intersection Collision Mitigation Brake System > - This system uses on-board cameras, and radar to detect when a vehicle suddenly appears from the side, for example at an intersection. If the system determines that a collision may occur, it provides an audio warning and physically alerts the driver by intermittently applying light braking, and gently tightening the seatbelt.- If the system determines that a collision is unavoidable, it prepares to mitigate damage and injuries which may result from impact by applying strong braking and firmly tightening the seatbelts to enhance the proper restraint of passengers.- Honda has commercialized a system designed to mitigate vehicle damage and injuries in rear end collisions, the Collision Mitigation Brake System, which was first available on the 2003 model Inspire in Japan. This experimental Intersection Collision Mitigation Brake System goes further, adding response to potential lateral collisions.

< Advanced Mayday System > - Should an accident occur, this system automatically notifies the Honda Operation Center and transmits an array of data about the accident, including the location, vehicle type, the deployment status of the airbags, and 15 seconds of video taken inside and outside the vehicle just before and after the moment of impact.- Using two-way video and voice transmission, operators at the Operation Center can communicate with the occupants of the vehicle and assess their condition in real time.- On-board body sensors enable the Operation Center to measure the driver's heart rate, respiration rate, and other vital signs.- If an accident occurs out of range of mobile telephone signals, the Inter-Vehicle Communication System may be able to contact the Operation Center by relaying data through other vehicles.Overview of Motorcycle/Automobile, Automobile/Automobile and Vehicle/Pedestrian Communication Systems - The 5.8 GHz communications equipment featured on motorcycles and automobiles enables two-way, wireless transmission of data, such as vehicle type, position, direction, and speed.- Portable communications devices which can be carried by pedestrians can wirelessly transmit the pedestrian's position.

- The system supports communications up to a maximum of 120 vehicles within a distance of up to approximately 200 meters.

Last edited by twinjogger; 09-12-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Model: RTL
Color: White / Beige
Re: Honda ASV-3 Safety Info.

As a certain play by play announcer would say, "Holy Cow!" I'd appreciate a URL on this. Safety issues are always of interest to me. This really takes the cake. Many thanks for posting it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritegeezer
As a certain play by play announcer would say, "Holy Cow!" I'd appreciate a URL on this. Safety issues are always of interest to me. This really takes the cake. Many thanks for posting it.

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050902.html
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige

This sounds great. I hope that it will be available in time fore a trade up to the next generation of Ridgelines.
Attached Images

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:48 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: SPORT
Model Year: 2014
Color: Alabaster Silver Metallic
Send a message via Yahoo to steveberger

Wait a minute! I want to drive the car. I don't want the car to drive me.

The object to life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, with a big smile shouting, "Holy S#*t ...what a ride"!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveberger
Wait a minute! I want to drive the car. I don't want the car to drive me.

Good Point!! Who knows, future - punch in the destination and sit back and relax. I can't help but remember the old Jetsons cartoons right now.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Billet Silver / Gray

Sounds great, but what does the vehicle do when the road is completely white in a snow storm? What pavement markings will it detect then?

Before you know it we will all be F-18 fighter pilots with our heads-up display tracking multiple bogies in our sector.

When you buy quality, you only cry once!
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Regarding what you have just read from nevadagarth: These are just my two cents are are in no way meant to offend or represent expertise in any area. This is just my experience and/or observations and the information previously stated makes sense to me.

January 2006 Ridgeline of the Month
'06 Honda Ridgeline RTL-SR "Special Edition"
'07 Honda Odyssey Touring
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2010
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-HOG View Post
This sounds great. I hope that it will be available in time fore a trade up to the next generation of Ridgelines.
Your picture isn't too far off!
Check out this article about Google self-driving car

http://www.smartplanet.com/technolog...ving-car/5445/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Color: Billet Silver / Gray

[quote=twinjogger;27297]Honda Completes Development of ASV-3 Advanced Safety Vehicles
...quote]

Thank goodness for all of this technology. Now I can text, watch tv on my phone, and needlepoint behind the wheel

2006 Ridgeline RTL, Silver with roofrack.
2000 Accord V6 EX, White no roofrack.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:26 AM
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club

Model Year: 2007
Color: Nimbus Gray Metallic

I'm still holding out for the Honda teleporter (time travel machine)!

Don't buy the GM models it might break down in transport!!!

2007 RTL Leather, Nav. & Moonroof > 245/70 17 Toyo "Open Country" A/T Boots! OEM Steelies 245/70 17 Winter Boots!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode