Job/economic climate in America - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2009
Color: Bali Blue Pearl
Re: Job/economic climate in America

Part of the issue is college grads expect to much. They get out of school with little or no experince and want top dollar right away. As a hiring manager I have been trying to fill a couple of positons for months. These postions will require hands on support of manufacturing and its a challenge to find anyone that wants thay type of job. Our Texas operation is doing better but they are going into Mexico to hire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2013
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

For an uninterrupted career the best option I can see is in the government sector. Benefits and job security far better than the private sector. Plug in your skill or ZIP and see what is available at https://www.usajobs.gov/
Many recent grads are being solicited.

25 Year Honda Owner
“The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with." Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RT
Model Year: 2009
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by B43 View Post

I think it's always been more usual for recent college grads to go into an unrelated field at first than to fall right into place within their major. I didn't get into my degree field until 4 yrs after graduation, but gained good work experience along the way. And since then, I've retrained myself to add more versatility to my resume. But even during college, I took alternative courses in other areas that I thought would come in handy, if only in my personal affairs.
Unfortunately, most college students don't even know what they want to do post graduation, much less how to actually accomplish those goals. Financial aid and student loans makes college an easy enough process but that means that almost half of the people attending have no business being there in the first place. If you haven't decided what you want to do by your mid 20s then get out as far as i'm concerned. The days of frat parties and animal house are over and it is just making life more difficult on the people actually attending to make something of themselves.

A piece of paper don't mean jack anymore. What is the point of going to college if what you have been working on for four years only opens the door half way? Practical experience means just as much, if not more than that piece of paper. In large I've always equated that to the fact that most people that currently are graduating didn't learn anything in school and flat out can't produce in the real world. That and they think that they're special and don't have to do anything like what they received is some kind of magic carpet.

Anyway, end soap box. Mike hit it on the head in a lot fewer words than me.

Complete;
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode