Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2017 Ridgeline Wheels

75K views 121 replies 47 participants last post by  Skip7071 
#1 · (Edited)
Based on the Pilot release, looks like the new Ridgeline will have wheels compatible with Gen1... was getting interested as we need to buy new snows for the RL and did not want to get only 1 winter out of them, but looks like current wheels and snows might transfer to new RL, or at least to an RL speced with 18s. Anyone else reading it this way?

New Pilot has same tire spec as current RL, and although there is a 20" wheel option, we would look for the 18s... of course have to wait for bolt-pattern and offset, but no reason to suspect a change of bolt pattern and early prognosis is good.

#2 · (Edited)
That's interesting. I have not dug into the new Pilot's tire specs, but if the 18" wheels take the same size tire as current RL, there's a good chance your snows would work on the next gen RL...as long as Honda doesn't bump the RL up to a taller 18" tire for a bit more ground clearance. Regarding the RL wheels, bolt pattern and offset could be issues, but don't forget about disc brake clearances which can also vary. (Of course, I would think the ROC would be a good place to find a buyer for used wheels and tires for Gen1 RLs.)

Over on the other thread, there was some carping about the new RL not getting 20" wheels on higher trim models. I never saw where they got that info, but if it's true, I'm fine with it and you'd benefit too. Otherwise, you might find yourself wanting options on your next gen RL that were only offered with 20" wheels.

#3 ·
Thanks for the cross-section of thoughts. I cannot imagine living with the cost of 20" wheels/tires, so hoping they do stick to the 18s... With the platform sharing with the Pilot and Ody, do not expect to have any issues with swapping wheels between them, even if the RL asks for taller sidewalls and probably +10 width.

I used RL 17s as an upsize for 06 Ody 16s, then as a downsize from the 11 Ody 18s for snow use. On the 11 Ody, needed RL lugs.

Good news is by the time anyone needs snows, the picture should be clearer... snow tires that bridge generations is a pretty big costs savings, wheels even more so... and can't say I ever gained a $$ on the sale of a used vehicle by throwing in the snows.

#76 ·
Worst mistake I ever made on my Gen 1. At 23 I bought 20' wheels/tires (because that's what you do at that age) and sure they looked great, but my 09 RTL was getting about 280 miles per tank. Good think I didn't have a far drive to work.

#4 ·
10-4 on all that. I was also thinking that many Gen1 RL owners may have spare tires and wheels. If Honda used the same wheel/tire specs on the next gen, that could be additional enticement for some Gen1 owners to trade up for the new RL. I've bought Subarus for years and have never been able to swap spare rims or tires after model redesigns -- always a bummer.

#5 ·
Mercedes put 20's on their sport utes and Michelin only makes one tire that fits it and it's a summer tire for most. They must know something.

#6 ·
Just bought new snows for the RL1 that should translate to the RL2 as a winter downsize (based on the Pilot). Bridgestones in 245/65R-17, mounted on a second set of RTX gray 17s I used to use on my Ody. Offset ranges look the same as well 39-48mm (RL1 to Pilot). Pretty big investment so glad they line up.

#7 ·
Keep in mind that no matter what wheel sizes are offered, the tire diameters (height) will be the same - you'll just have less sidewall for a harsher ride on the larger wheels.

#8 ·
Larger wheels are supposed to have less rolling resistance. That, plus their popularity with our current pop culture, is likely why Honda specified them for the Pilot, dragging the Ridgeline crowd kicking and screaming with it.. The tall wheels may have bling, but they lack functionality in the real world. I'd rather have the comfort, off-roadability, cost-effective-ness, and curb protection offered by short wheels and tall sidewalls.

Yep, your 20" wheels will net you 0.01 more MPG! Just don't kiss the curb or you're out $800.

#10 ·
The hyper - miler forums tend to lean toward larger wheels having lower rolling resistance, with some studies to support it, but I don't currently have any links. There were also several anecdotal argument ts against it, but as far as the research went, bigger was better for efficiency. With that being said, I am all for taller sidewalls, regardless of wheel size. I prefer function over bling.

#11 ·
If larger tires improved efficiency, the Toyota Prius and other high-efficiency vehicles would come from the factory with wagon wheels instead of the "spare tires" they are typically equipped with. :)

#12 ·
Ok, did a little reading....overall diameter has little effect on rolling resistance (varies by study)...taller sidewalls have more flex and more rolling resistance than short sidewalls...wider tires have LESS rolling resistance than skinny tires (although skinny tires may have less wind resistance (or possibly more, if they don't fill the wheel well sufficiently))...agressive tread has more rolling resistance (mudders=bad, bald=good).

#17 ·
Bridgestone is a proponent of the "large and narrow" tire.
http://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/news/2013030502.html

They are supplying such a tire for the BMW i3:
"...The Ecopia EP500 ologic was launched in November 2013, with BMW i3. It comes in four size choices including 155/70 R19 84Q and 175/55 R20 85Q, and in two variants for winter. The Blizzak NV ologic winter variant is built from Bridgestone’s Multicell compound that rapidly clears water between the snowy surface and tyre. It hence improves road contact and grip…"

http://www.tyreblog.co.uk/2014/bridgestones-innovative-large-narrow-ep500-tyre-fits-bmw-i3-1793

More about skinny, tall tires:
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/cha...ry/2013/08/the-skinny-on-tall-thin-tires.aspx

"...Are tall, thin tires going to be the next big trend in the tire industry?

That’s what we asked the five largest tire manufacturers in the world: Bridgestone Corp., Continental AG, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Groupe Michelin and Pirelli & Cie SpA.

Some were forthcoming with details and information; others, not so much…"

#20 ·
The argument on skinny tires is generally that they have less wind resistance, and this seems to play out at speeds above 50mph, or so. The counter-argument is if you have large wheel wells, then you get more drag on the vehicle because the tire isn't filling the well and displacing that air pocket. It probably varies quote a bit from vehicle to vehicle.

One thing is for sure...skinny tires give better traction in adverse conditions, worse traction in ideal conditions.

#23 ·
Yeah I run my RL tires at 38 most of the time. That's 6 psi over the recommended. Never had any problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#28 ·
I just looking over some MPG testing at pickuptrucks.com (Texas Truck Showdown 2016: Towing Mileage Test - PickupTrucks.com News) and noticed something interesting.
Ford F-150s come stock with Low Rolling Resistance tires, that's part of the reason they claim better MPG than their competitors.

My question is: will Honda equip the new Ridgeline with LRR tires? If they do, and only marginally beat out GM and Toyota on the MPG specs, it wouldn't really hold water. Most people are going to replace them with non LRR tires when they need new ones, and at that point, the RL may not beat the Taco or GM twins anymore.

I thought of this because my parents replaced the tires on the CR-V several months ago. My dad didn't realize it came stock with LRR, and the tire shop sold him non LRR tires. The result was a drop of about 2 MPG.

#32 ·
For me, those make it look more "urban". I prefer the 18's with a bit fatter tire section. I do like their 5 spoke design but would like a bolder 5 spoke design like those on my G1 Sport even more. All depends on what one likes. I believe Gen2 will have a slightly larger tire (265 vs 245?) so maybe that would look better on those wheels.

#34 · (Edited)
...I believe Gen2 will have a slightly larger tire (265 vs 245?) so maybe that would look better on those wheels.
Yes, those 265X18s did look better, but we were deceived (not ranting, just stating fact).

I too was curious about the 5-spoke wheel designs for the Gen2, and I noticed that the accessorized RL at the Chicago Auto Show had custom 5-spokes. So that styled wheel in chrome or all black may be what they're offering.

#35 ·
Putting a huge 20" wheel and low profile tires on a pickup makes no sense, unless you prefer form over function. Low profile tires will increase the likelihood of wheel damage on our poorly maintained roads and lower the ride quality.
20" tires will also be considerably more expensive that 17s or 18s.

#36 ·
Sure.

Other form over function Pickup things . . .

Lifting for looks
Larger diameter tire / wider tire for looks
More aggressive tire for looks
In general buying a pickup / Jeep etc for the look.

This is not to say that the above don't have uses but PLENTY of pickup owners make have zero need but want "the look"

#40 · (Edited)
Info from Honda's press kit:

The 2017 Ridgeline comes standard with 8.0 x 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels, one size up from the previous Ridgeline's 17-inch wheels.

Five unique 5-and 6-spoke wheel designs are offered:

RT: Painted (Silver) 5-spoke

RTS: Machine Finish paired 5-spoke

Sport: Shark Gray paired 5-spoke

RTL: Machine Finish 6-spoke

RTL-T: Machine Finish 6-spoke

RTL-E: Machine Finish 6-spoke

Black Edition: Berlina Black finish 6-spoke

All Ridgeline trims come standard with 245/60 R18 light truck all-season tires [Firestone Destination LE2], which were exclusively designed to help the Ridgeline provide the best handling and performance in all weather conditions.

All 2017 Ridgeline models include a T165/90R17 temporary spare tire on a 4.0 x 17-inch steel wheel that is stored in the trunk under the bed.

#48 ·
RT: Painted 5-spoke
Trying to find a pic. Are they black painted?

All Ridgeline trims come standard with 245/60 R18 light truck all-season tires [Firestone Destination LE], which were exclusively designed to help the Ridgeline provide the best handling and performance in all weather conditions.
Oh boy. Anyone want to buy my stock tires if I get a ridgeline? I just looked up those tires.

#41 ·
I'm willing to gamble that the 5 spoke are the Pilot wheels. The LX are painted silver, the EX and above are the same wheel with a machined front face with silver painted inner spokes. The accessory wheels we saw on the G2 in San Antonio on the night of the intro are the Pilot accessory wheels. The optional wheels shown in Chicago are unique to the the G2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.