Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

superbowl ridgeline ad

20K views 150 replies 70 participants last post by  longboat 
#1 ·
will it reveal the pricing?

#2 ·
Nope, it will show Aaron Rodgers throwing a 80 yard pass into the trunk of a parked Ridgeline in the end-zone and then the bed speakers will come on and announce "Touchdown, Unbelievable!" while fans gather around and have a tailgate party to the music, most likely.

#10 ·
Looks to me like different configuration but not that different in size (if a bit smaller as has been suggested). It's now flat all across, so you gain that space that was a shelf before, but it looks to me maybe to be a bit wider left to right, but maybe slightly shallower & possibly not as "deep" front to back. But about the same overall.
Must my eye speaking.....

#15 ·
The trunk was reconfigured so a 64 quart cooler will fit inside. I was told overall volume is slightly reduced. The tailgate action is carryover, but it has indentations for more comfortable seating and a much larger (and flimsier) plastic lip. I was told that a full size spare "should fit" in the allocated space but I wasn't able to find out if anyone has actually tried to see if it fits, and it sure doesn't look like it will fit to me. The area looked smaller and the tires are bigger.

#19 ·
Last year there were 13.8 MILLION vehicles sold in the US. In one year. People decided to purchase around 200K Ridgelines in TEN YEARS they have been available. It is safe to say, statistically, that very few car buying people know anything about the tailgate or the trunk. It will be new to most everyone watching the Superbowl and they don't care about the history. Also the Ridgeline, for all intents and purposes, is a totally new truck compared to the Gen 1 Ridgeline.

#20 · (Edited)
If they are more successful at selling the same unique features of the gen 1 they are 90% there.

You can't really sell the looks or cosmetics, other that show them with the right camera angle and in the right light (literally).

This is a truck you buy first for functionality. If they worry about flat tires with a full bed and the hassle of getting the spare out, or think the gate looks weird when swinging vs. just a dropdown, forget about it!

The critics are just waiting to put it down, and the uneducated are sheep.

The commercial has to show them how it works and how it is meant to be used by the average Joe or Jane.

Honda has the shovel ready to either dig deeper into the truck market or dig a grave for the truck they have.

#27 ·
HAHAHAHAHA, oh man this commerical is going to be easy fodder for those Ridgeline haters.

I can see it now "Honda is just reinforcing you need to be a complete Sheep to like this truck. It's definitely still a gay truck, as evidence they went with a Freddy Mercury tune..."

oh well, they should be able to sell alot of these in New Zealand though. :grin:

#29 ·
Yes, grew up on a family farm. Towing a John Deere combine header with a John Deere 4 wheel wagon, would be no problem. We had trucks to haul the really heavy stuff. The Ridgeline would fit right in except for traveling out in fresh cut grain fields in the summer without some exhaust mods.

#31 ·
I showed the ad to a couple of people at work, and it got several chuckles.

So I think it'll appeal to people.
But will it sell trucks?

Maybe the goal at this point is to just plant the idea that Honda has a pickup, and they'll follow up with ads that show the features and capability of the Ridgeline in detail.

I'd love a series of semi-comical ads around the theme of "Here's what you can do in a Ridgeline".

Chip H.

#32 · (Edited)
I though it was clever but also a joke and waste of time of a commercial.
No rancher/country boy will look at this truck, maybe his wife?
Once again showing it off pavement, when in reality Not meant for it. Who are we advertising to and what are we showing?
When I first saw the sheep I was thinking it had to do something with separating it self from the sheep following truck crowd.
Nope. Or does it?
Edit
Went back and saw the black sheep... Should be more dominant and should have made more of a point not to follow the sheep.

#34 ·
No specifics that I have found.

However.
2014 RL had 8.2 inch ground clearance
2016 Colorado has 8.1
2016 Tacoma 9.1

The 2016 Pilot is listed at 7.3. Hopefully the new RL will be at least as good as the 2014 on ground clearance.

#35 ·
Quibbles: 2016 Colorado 4WD crewcab shortbed listed at 8.2" GC; 2016 Tacoma 4WD listed at 9.4" GC.

But we all know a single minimum GC measurement doesn't come close to telling the whole story about off-road capability. Where is that low point and how vulnerable is the entire undercarriage to damage from obstacles and debris? To its credit, the G2 RL has a smoother underside and even a skidplate of sorts. I am looking forward to the testers taking the new truck off-road and abusing it.

#39 ·
Well I showed the ad to my wife, and she loved it. I must admit after seeing it again, I kind of like it too. It is pretty funny, and that is a big key to a successful ad. I work in television so I can appreciate the work put into it. Also looking at the comments on it's Youtube page they (when I looked) were all pretty positive. So I think it will be a Super Bowl ad hit. So although I at first was negative about it, I think it will be a success. Oh & btw, Woof, Woof. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.