Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Dear Honda, Your 2017 Ridgeline is a...

48K views 211 replies 82 participants last post by  TommyDeVito 
#1 · (Edited)
Major disappointment...and its breathtakingly ugly. A completely compromised design..

Only truck with speakers in the bed???? Are you kidding me, who gives a s%$t about that??? What a joke.

I was a loyal Honda owner, there are currently 4 in the family including two Ridgelines. Because I did not trust your build quality on the new Pilot, I traded my 2011 Pilot for a 2015 Highlander.

Because I very much dislike your Gen 2 Ridgeline, soon I will trade for a Tacoma.

You are squandering years of strong product quality and innovation at a rapid pace.

Good luck and good bye.

#5 · (Edited)
OP, can we count on you to no longer post in the 2G section?

Here is a different take. I didn't particular like the 1G RL. The 2G has my interest enough to forgo purchasing a Tacoma. I want to check out the new RL first hand. From what I am seeing it will better meet my needs.

Good luck on the 2016 Tacoma. It has some issues many owners are reporting.
- slipping transmission due to inadequate fluid fill at the factory.
- transmission hunts gears,
- cruise control is terrible.
- trip reset for no reason
- noise at moderate speed.
- vibration at 1500 - 2500 rpm
- u joints improperly serviced.
- no seat height adjustments, (manual or electric)
- some with the OR having issues locking the rear end
- Time will tell if Toyota has corrected the frame rust issue the 2G had.

I owned a 2006 Tacoma 4x4. Recently sold it. I was going to buy another Tacoma until I started seeing all the issues on the new 16.

imo, the Honda is no worse in quality nor better than Toyota.

PS: Dear Honda, I like the looks of the new RL. Can't wait to test drive one.

#25 ·
OP, can we count on you to no longer post in the 2G section?

It's his thread and has the right to post this. I'm with him but not as bad. Will I buy Gen 2 RL? Eventually maybe. Tacoma will never be in the picture for me. I will get a Tundra before any Taco.

Reactions: NYStyle
#16 ·
Finally someone I can agree with. I have worked out of the back of my RL more than I have out of my lifted F-350. Its great reaching and seeing the bottom of the toolbox.

Reactions: Rondo and converted
#7 ·
Major disappointment...and its breathtakingly ugly. A true wuss design.

Only truck with speakers in the bed???? Are you kidding me, who gives a s%$t about that??? What a joke.

I was a loyal Honda owner, there are currently 4 in the family including two Ridgelines. Because I did not trust your build quality on the new Pilot, I traded my 2011 Pilot for a 2015 Highlander.

Because I very much dislike your Gen 2 Ridgeline, soon I will trade for a Tacoma.

You are squandering years of strong product quality and innovation at a rapid pace.

Good luck and good bye.
I am not a fan of the new RL either,,,,, but man lighten up. Before you get to drive your new Tacoma,,,,,you are going to be making a trip to the ER for a quadruple bypass.

#10 ·
I've gone back and forth between a Taco or Colorado and a Gen2 RL. The reason I purchased a RL in the first place is because I wanted more of an SUV interior with the convenience of a truck bed where I could haul my mountain bikes, adventure racing gear, and the occasional big box store large item purchase. Really, the only "off-roading" I do is dirt roads to the trailhead. If I needed a truck to do more heavy duty off-roading, I would probably get the Taco or a full-sized 4x4. I don't, so I'll be seriously considering the Gen2 RL.

I'm not crazy about the front end, but it is growing on me. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person before making a final decision.

#13 ·
Cant argue that point, I expected more advancements in the power train its look overall and even more utility with innovation.

Its true it could have been a whole lot more truck considering the time off they had to produce it. In the end they took the low budget route but put the money into the design of the Pilot, Honda's biggest acheivement was to flatten the bed rails and add a bluetooth audio speaker system BUT only for the high end models.

Its not like its nasty bad NO its just very safe and simple soft looking, but it will once again limit truck buyers. Personally I don't think Honda could care about that anyway. I think what bugs me the most is I can't differentiate enough from a Pilot. At least it still kept the back window bed storage and tail gate pretty much a given, but the console and front seat space was a whole lot more practical IMO in the first gen1. I like that you can adjust both front seats in the Gen 2 someone listened in that regard. Like the flat floor over almost any truck out there.

I am a loyal RL owner still love the first one but I will not buy a gen 2 right now too many other choices currently and sure to be more as well in the near future. All trucks seem to be expensive these days but I find Honda's pricing on the Pilot to be rather sickening (CDN) and I expect the RL to be the same or more. Maybe US pricing is more reasonable not sure it depends I guess. I know despite the nasty exchange rate, we pay more anyways about 2-4K on certain models which is a lot and we pay far more tax as well on top. No incentives = tough sell for me anyways. Unless the truck is just downright amazing which its probably not. It will be ok.

#18 ·
For those attracted to the 2017 in-bed audio system, the RL lends itself nicely to the idea. Reason being: removable composite/fiberglass bed walls make excellent surfaces for "exciters" used in all kinds of applications where speakers need to be heard but not seen, and weather or spaces like a truck bed aren't friendly to traditional surface mounted speakers.

I think Honda hit a soft spot with this idea by deploying off-the-shelve solutions to the RL bed design. Gen 1 die hard fans wanting to add a cool 2017 feature to their RL might want to look into surface exciters like these weather proof transducers: Dayton Audio HDN-8 Weatherproof Sound Exciter Transducer

Powering these would require a little work but... other than wiring, a few components and perhaps an (easy) creative way to select cabin/bed speaker rounting, a Gen 1 RL could be adapted for this feature.

On the 2017 RL: not surprisingly, many comments are negative. Styling being personal in nature, it's fascinating to see the hyperbole around this one. Especially in regards to what a truck "should be". Clearly, Honda isn't trying to compete in the traditional truck market. Seems to me they are going after existing and fence sitting truck buyers who don't need mid or 1500 series truck attributes. If that was their goal, they hit the mark square in the head - AGAIN. If someone wants a "badass" truck, they should look elsewhere. Conversely, if someone wants an easy to drive, parkable, reliable, comfortable vehicle with a usable truck bed, excellent on-road manners and good off road capabilities, you've found you ride.

If you want something with a Honda badge that's badass, consider something in their cycle or powersport line up, perhaps one of their unbeatable generators or maybe an Acura NSX would be badass enough.

IMO: the RL fills a unique hole in the truck world and by doing so, it IS badass.

#20 ·
I just sold my 16 taco sport 4x4 crew. Loved the interior and exterior looks. It was much better than older ones and quite interior. Still rough riding and seats after driving or riding(wife) more than an hour was not working at all for us. It was much smaller than my Ridgelines inside. That said I was getting a Colorado diesel 4x4 today but now I saw this add and im not in love with the look but I miss the comfort and stuff I had in Ridgeline. I didn't like Gen 1 looks forever now love the look. As I said I was having dealer bring me a diesel Colorado today because seats and comfort seemed good and I don't want full size. Just need to tow my bass boat is all. So now I may hold off today and wait to drive one of these first. When will they be available? I sold my 16 Tacoma 2 weeks ago. By the way the Tacoma was great on trails and love the size and hope the Ridgeline is good too if I wait and don't just get the diesel but I think I will wait.

#23 ·
Oh to the posted going for a 2016 Taco I can tell you if seats are ok it was a great vehicle and I really liked it. It does ride little rough but much better than older models. I didn't need big back seat and it is less than the Colorado or Ridgeline but that wasn't issue for me. Loved the blind spot mirror. Sun roof. and loved the dash looks and steering wheel. If they could of just changed the seats to adjustable up and down and made it not such a different angle the way it places you. I didn't notice too much on test drive. Wife hated she couldn't see over hood because way front end and seating position is. It was also bad for me on this too.

#24 ·
I went to my local honda dealer and asked to sit in a 2016 Pilot, apparently they are sold out and wont have anymore on the lot for quite a while as they have a lot on order for customers.

This post has been deleted
#28 ·
I assume you are referring to posts over on Tacoma World. I would more accurately say there are a few people complaining. The looks part well that is subjective in my opinion the old saying "beauty is in the eye of beholder". If it was so horrible and falling apart as some claim then why can't dealers keep the new Tacoma in stock and it is a minimum 8 week wait to get one. I just checked with a local Toyota dealer and he said 6-8 weeks for an SR5, the model I would buy if I go with Toyota. I won't make any decisions until the Ridgeline is available for a test drive as I am not in a hurry my '04 Suzuki Vitara at 350K+ mi is still going strong.

For me I would prefer to go with the Ridgeline as I don't need the 4x4 with the low range capability like the Tacoma, but here in Canada the V6 double cab (crew cab) model only comes with 4wd and long bed for SR5 if I go with the Tacoma. To me when I owned the 2010 RL I never liked the grade logic transmission, wish it had a manual select option. I was hoping that they would have paddle shift for the 6 spd auto like in the Acura RDX but no such luck. Again won't discount it until I drive it as I do like the way it looks compared to the 1st Gen RL, and then I will go from there on the decision.
Yes , Tacoma World. Funny how you classify a "few people" complaining. There is more every day. It is also clear from most forums more people will complain than post my truck is perfect. From TW, the new Tacoma does have some transmission issues, noise issues, and dash display issues.

In my area there is more than one dealer that has 10+ Tacoma's in stock. You would have to ask the buyers why the purchased a Tacoma. Most dealers have the higher end models in rather than the basic SR5.

Buy whatever makes you happy. Just saying even Toyota has issues.

#29 ·
I don't think the OP expected a bad ass truck as nobody here did. We all know Honda is not in that business. I think all he was asking for is a little more aggressive look and not as Pilotish looking and maybe a bit more truck worthy options or trims. Would have been easy for Honda to have a different front facia without sacrificing anything else the new Gen can do or offers. I think that's where the OP describes that Honda blew it as he referred to wuss.

#32 · (Edited)
Lighten up Frances.... :act024:
Lol, I'm in a damn good mood. I'm not the one rage quitting the forum because honda didn't make the 2nd gen look mean enough.

"I want the new Ridgeline to be BADASS, when I barrel down on people in traffic I want them to look at the grill in their rear view and get the impression of a snarling pitbull gnashing teeth while I glare at them behind the wheel wearing my sunglasses"

"$&%^ you HONDA, I'm getting a Tacoma! While I pout in the cramped cabin and lower less adjustable seat while I drive to the super market you think about what you did, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DID!"

HaHa

Just a quick history lesson for the OP, if he's still reading. Nobody will ever consider a Honda a badass vehicle. It just isn't happening. I don't care how many Don't Tread on Me, No Fear, and Harley decals you slap on it. It's just not going to work. They've built plenty of cool things, but not badass ******* respecting things.

Honda built their entire empire in the US on making nice pleasant vehicles, don't believe me? That cute little non-threatening Super Cub is still the best selling vehicle, ever.

#33 ·
Major disappointment...and its breathtakingly ugly. A true wuss design.

Good luck and good bye.
I agree. That's why I bought the 2014 Ridgeline. From the information I read the Gen 2 was going to look just like a regular pickup truck. I really see no innovation in the design of the Gen 2 and it's annoying to me that car commercials and advertisement focus on Bluetooth and other in car electronics in instead of performance, comfort, etc.. I wish they would have followed more along the design of the Toyota A-Bat or the Hyundai concept pickup. Just my opinion. The front end looks pretty good though.

#35 · (Edited)
A-Bat & Hyundai are not what everybody wants.
The styling of each is radical Honda played it safe going with looks of Pilot up front. I honestly don't see what some of you see in exterior styling of the trucks. I took pictures of many of them at the DC auto show a week ago. The Ridgeline did not make it but I got the Pilot. The only thing to me in front face styling that looks good GMC Canyon/Sierra truck face. So I still don't get the Wuss/Girly thing on 2nd Gen Ridgeline. I spent the most time checking out the GMC Canyon and Pilot. They had 3 or 4 models of Canyon rear seat was tight. I got picture of Invoice also 2016 CANYON 4WD SLE CREW SHORT BOX Z71 SUSPENSION PKG OFF ROAD pretty much loaded with heated seats except leather. Total price $38,765.00
interior does not look as good as Ridgeline/Pilot.

#34 ·
One things for sure the US of A does not lack for big brawny high-powered pickups.

So just trot down to the nearest Ford dealership or GM or RAM and buy a big broad shouldered long bed great ground clearance massively powered pickup truck.

Good luck getting it in the garage!

#38 ·
I read a lot more than I post. In my reading it seems that the most important single thing in any vehicle, the seat, is very seldom discussed. Believe me as you get older, and we all do, the seat becomes an increasingly important item.

At 6 foot two and with a body that is increasingly difficult to manipulate, having a seat that you can get into and out of easily is very important. Forget all the grill work and all the other assorted things that people seem to be concerned about, you want to be able to comfortably get in and out of your seat.

One thing that has occurred to me is the importance of an electric seat mechanism that is almost infinitely adjustable. One of the problems I have with my 2013 Ridgeline is hitting my head on the door opening and then particularly if I'm wearing a cap brushing the top of the cap against said opening and the roof of the pickup. So why don't they spend a little more time developing a seat that will accommodate people like my wife at 5 foot two and me at 6 foot two?

I like everything else about the pickup, now increased gas mileage is always welcome even at the ridiculously low prices that we are currently enjoying for gasoline. But nobody in their right mind believes that gas prices will stay anywhere near the price that they are today. So yes, give us better gas mileage but everything else is hunky-dory as far as I am concerned.

#39 ·
As a toyota employee,daily do I wanna slap someone cause they wont shut up"tacoma this,tacoma that, toyota failed at this,that" If you don't like it don't buy it. You can complain all you want but a car manufacturer isnt going to make a vehicle for your specific needs. They are going to take the average/majority and work with that.

If I was in the market..I would snatch one up real quick. Camping/adventuring would be awesome be able to fit a normal bed tent on it instead of the avalanche one..only one hitch though.. I would have to be able to have it lifted real quick. And since the interior is super fancy I would need to detail it after every trip and being dirty would drive me crazy until I got my first scratch then I would be like screw it.

#40 · (Edited)
Bought my 07 RL as it was the largest truck that would fit in my garage...the fact it was also the best riding truck was a bonus, as we travel 1200+ miles on trips to see family. Was fortunate enough to get the RL when Honda was offering huge incentives. Would like to keep until at least 200K miles or more...but looking for next truck to be unibody and have IRS---Maybe the new Ford midsize will do the trick. As for as the Gen2 having too many Pilot features---it's about cost savings, design, inventory, suppliers, etc. My mid 90's Explorer and the Ranger was the same...it's business...but I'm an old codger and prefer a truck to feel like a truck from the drivers seat---that's my beef with the Gen2, ...I guess I'll just have to see what's available whenever I'm in the market.

#41 ·
I feel that Honda decided to forego the truck requirements in the name of technology. There was a lot of tech that the G1 Ridgeline was lacking compared to others on the market. Hell, the F150 can park itself, massive sunroof, 360 degree cameras, Bluetooth streaming, etc. It was time for the Ridgeline to finally catch up to their domestic & import counterparts. In doing this they took away all the "truck" and just slapped the Pilot overtop.

Things that Honda took away that I think were a big no no: #1 Heat Dials - Dudes wear gloves or winter gloves, turning those babies were so easy. Now you have these little up and down dials. #2. 3 on the Tree - Well, not 3 but you get the jist. Why put a console in the middle with no walk through? This was awesome for getting out the other side, putting my Mcdonalds tray of drinks so they won't spill and stretching out when you want to have some fun with the misses ;) ;). #3. Storage. Where's my arm rest storage for my toonies, pens, business cards, etc. Where's the 3 pockets in the pass dash for the wife to put her makeup and other womany things. Not 100% sure but I think it's still missing an additional 2 storage bins in the center dash. #4. Towing only 5000LBS?? Yes, if you didn't see on any of the reviews that everyone did on the new Ridgeline at the auto shows, there is a safety sticker with max tow rating of 5000lbs on the back. This is a legal requirement for DOT/TC approved vehicles and the show vehicle was road legal. Interest rates are super low and I got money to spend, why would I buy 2 seadoos when I can afford a large boat!! To me 5K isn't cutting it now a days for a pickup. My QX60 tows that and it fits 7 people. Hopefully I'm wrong on that when official word comes out from Honda.#4. No dials on audio - When I have dirty hands or gloves on that screen is going to be 1 big mess. #5. Throw the F'ing 9 speed in it! #6. Too much exterior plastic - Use some dam paint!! The bumper isn't even painted, it's just hard black plastic. Fender flares, plastic. Roof Rack, black plastic only option. #6. Rear Entertainment - Don't know anything yet, but I'm leaning towards a lack of. Probably no DVD in the headrests / Roof mount. #7. Bed Lighting - Correct me if I'm wrong, from what I've seen only 2 pueny lights in the bed. Old one had 4 and two were positioned to shine in the bed trunk for visibility. #8. Low turn signals - I think they are at the bottom next to the fog light. If they are wait till it hits a Canadian winter and see if they blink. #8. Small grab handles. Where are my huge grab handles that my mom uses to get in and out of the truck cause she's 5'3. #9. Auto running boards. Ford & GM have it. GM took it a step further and it swings back.

Things I like about the new Ridge from what I've seen in the videos. #1. Rear child mirror in the sunglasses holder. Yes my kid sits in the back and I need to look at him from time to time. #2. Tech. Desperately needed, that etch-a-sketch Navigation unit is horrible. Not a big fan of those lane assists and cruise assists but blind spot is good, sensors all around and hopefully it has Honda's right turn camera feature. Great for missing those bicycle people in Downtown Toronto. Push Button start & memory seats..Yeah! Sound, this system better kick ass. #3. Bigger bed & flat in bed trunk...nuff said, bigger is better. Flatter is better. #4. In bed audio - Nice touch for the work site. I work close to my truck. Charging box with AC power is pretty good too. #5. Under seat storage - I couldn't fit my clubs under the seat, nice to have now. #6. LED or HID lights, finally. #7. Black Edition - Like the stitching and hides the exterior plastic well.

Enough of my ranting. I use my Ridge for 30% work related duties, 70% Urban living. Would I get a new one...possibly. Test drives, fooling around with all the tech and testing it out. Maybe the new car smell and fact that I have to change my timing belt and water pump on my current Ridge may force me into a new one?? Who knows.

FYI..this website has some cool pics of current vs new Ridgeline. 2017 Honda Ridgeline vs first-gen Ridgeline - Old vs New

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.