Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Scoop on towing capacity of the RL??

99K views 454 replies 66 participants last post by  O-Whizz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That makes sense but I was hoping for a little more.
That of course would not stop me from "pushing the envelope" if I ever needed to. Luckily those numbers are more than what I need to tow our Bambi so...

#6 ·
Yes, I take offense to his statement that "you saw it first on the Fast Lane Truck". I suspect they got the idea from me posting that pic at the Ridgeline reveal. Nobody was allowed to crawl underneath the truck, but I did it anyway.

I also posted the first pic of the new "skid plates" that Honda was touting.

I'm not trying to blow my own horn, but when they claim to be the first I take exception to that.

#5 ·
Some people may not even need 5k but I find it to be too low in today's midsize truck market. Correct me if I'm wrong but It has to be lowest rating of all the trucks in its class. 7500lbs on a new Canyon is too much lets get serious here but a true 6k to 6500 max limit would be about right.

People who tow the limit but don't want a full size for everything else will be dissponimted with its 5k Max which lets be honest is really only a 4K Max with gear people etc. On technical terms but could it tow more yes. I do that with my gen1 and the Grady White. I don't like doing it but for small trips it's manageable and I don't pack the kids with me.

The tounge weight slipped back a hundred lbs from last version.

Towing overall a disappointment. Again Honda could careless about this.

#8 · (Edited)
OK, so I went back to your Dropbox link and looked again at the underbody photos, Joe. There are some protective coverings on some of the components, but the oil pan area and bottom of the engine itself don't look like they have the optional skid plate protection. I'm looking for something similar to what I assumed was the skidplate shown in the display picture of RL exterior accessories in the other thread. What am I missing? Is there another picture that shows the accessory skid plate?

#9 · (Edited)
Not to go too off topic but those are what Honda is calling skid plates. They're really for aerodynamic improvements (MPG) but the marketing people prefer to use the term skid plate. One is plastic and the other you can bend with your hands. Skid plates. Nothing optional.

I've actually told one of the very top people in AHM that I'm done with them... and I am. This is a clusterfxxck. Nobody listened. Why in the hell did you ask if you didn't listen to any ideas? A $3000 in-bed audio system that sounds worse than a $50 BlueTooth speaker setup from Best Buy. FIRE whoever came up with that.

Launch it with all the problems of the new Pilot and you'll have another disaster on your hands. Is there ANYTHING of the old Honda left alive? I doubt it. Ito ruined the company and there are many better alternatives over most of the product line. Compare an Accord to a new Malibu but forget all the badges. Nobody would buy the Accord. Much less pay thousands extra.

There's a LOT more I wish I could release. I'm not one of Honda's favorites right now and was essentially told to shut up, or else. Screw that. The truth is the truth and it is self evident.

No, TFLT you weren't the first. I was. Don't take credit for other people's work. I did with work. Yes you have a bigger audience but you know where you got the idea and to claim it as your own is WRONG.

Good luck in San Diego.

#13 ·
$3000 doesn't sound right. They're just speaker coils, some wire and a touchscreen interface. Probably less than $100 in parts, another $100 labor for installation on the assembly line, $100 Honda markup to pay for R&D/Overhead, then $200 markup at the dealer.....should put it as a $500 option.

I wouldn't pay $500 for it, or even $250. I have a waterproof $20 BT speaker that probably sounds better. If I am serious about sound, I have a couple old ghetto blasters that I can plug into the bed 110AC outlet.

Unfortunately, I can see Honda forcing the bed speakers on us in package style. "You want Bluetooth/Homelink? You need the bed speaker package"...."You want the 540W stereo? You need the bed speaker package"...."You want Android Auto? You need the bed speaker package"...ad nauseum. :(

#14 ·
I second that, while I'm not saying that Joe is wrong I can't see how those parts can remotely add up to 3k, 5 exciters at what $20 a pop? Factory 20 gauge speaker wire ran from the head unit, and a small amp, I don't see where those few accessory parts can cost that much, maybe the bed liner is different and custom molded to fit the exciters? A simple screw in? If the bed liner is different maybe by the time Honda marks up everything 50% it could add up, just 3k seems astronomical for something so simple, and really stupid to boot.

#15 ·
Anyway... my mistake about the scoop.

I didn't see your post about the tongue weight and towing capacity sticker before Joe.

My post wasn't intended to crank you up. :surprise:

And to be honest I don't give a rats ass about towing or tongue weight. I'm buying the RL because it suits my needs and is the right size. Plus I'll be able to get the features I want that aren't available on the GM twins and taco.

#16 ·
If it is still 5,000 lbs then I will probably look elsewhere for my next vehicle. I love my 08 and it does a real nice job towing my boat that with the trailer weighs 4400lbs dry. A little extra capacity would make this a no brainier. I am surprised they would build a medium size truck that has a tow capacity roughly 15-20% below the capacity of everyone else in the industry.

#53 ·
15-20% below? Closest competitors as I see it is the new Colorado at 7700# and the Nissan Frontier at 6300#

When I got my RL in 2005, I looked at both. At that point the RL was in the middle between Chevy (4000) and Nissian (6100). I didn't have any plans to tow so it didn't make much difference.

Now however, I've got a 4950# hybrid travel trailer. The RL's managed it in the year we've had it. But if we want to go down into or over the appalachians...we need more TV.

We don't want a full sized truck. Plus, my wife's due for a new car first. Considering a VW Touareg or Jeep Cherokee. Both of which have towing capacities of around 7600#.

If i was looking at a new truck, a 5000# limit would put the RL out of the running.

#18 ·
No doubt as has already been mentioned, the in bed speakers will be part of a package. It might be called the tech package, or the outdoor package, or the party package. Whatever they call it, it won't be for the frugal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
In bed audio will only be available (from the dealer) on the top 2 trims RTL-E and the black edition. I don't think it would be that difficult to add that on after the factory, providing the wiring is already ran. I bought my Element without speakers and a radio from factory, as I knew I would be putting in my own components, all the wiring was already in place it was just plug and play.

#23 · (Edited)
The in-bed audio system will be on the RTL-E and Black Edition only. The RTL will get the 225-watt audio system (6 speakers and a subwoofer), but only the RTL-E and Black Edition will get the 540-watt system with in-bed audio (6 speakers and subwoofer in the cab plus 6 exciters in the bed).

#25 ·
I seriously doubt that only buyers of the top end models will pay for the R&D for the "exciters". Everyone who purchases an RL will be paying something towards the cost of development. And Joe, thanks for all of your inputs to help keep the hope alive. You provide much feedback to Honda and it appears they intentionally ignored it. Who was the person who released the original teaser photo that claimed to be a Honda rep and then went quiet? I think she was spy with an ax to grind.

#26 ·
Has anyone ever researched the subject?
I did about 10 seconds of looking around and found this...

SolidDrive SolidDrive Sound Transducers | Sound without Speakers

I do believe that there are development costs associated with the "sound system" of any new vehicle. I don't believe that there are any new frontiers being discovered here. It is simply the application of an existing technology to something where it hasn't been used in the past.
In other words "it is not rocket science"..

I'd be amazed if the "$3000" number is anything like accurate!

None of this has anything to do with the towing capacity of the Gen 2 Ridgeline however....

I was hoping for a 6000 pound towing capacity as designed by Honda. Whatever it is I'm sure it will suffice for my use!

Bruce

#34 ·
I expect right on par with the last generation (5000 lbs) as Joe has stated. Anything past that and you should be using a WDH. This truck is light duty and I imagine using a WDH would add extra stress on a unibody frame (remember not body on frame) components that truly weren't designed to have the weight transferred onto them. Honda is conservative on this and I am ok with what. Other manufactures keep upping their towing numbers without using hard facts anyways (sprinkle on some magic tow dust).

The Ridgeline is primarily focused on ride and comfort and has been beefed up for light truck duty. 5000 Lbs works just fine for a majority of people. I know i have seen somewhere something like 80% of light duty trucks only tow 3-5K on a routine basis anyways.

#35 ·
#39 ·
Where did you find the information that states Honda followed the SAE J2807 standard? Everything I have found from Honda makes no mention of following the J2807 standard with the RL, suggesting they did not use this international standard when determining the RL's 5,000 lbs tow rating. If you can point me to where that official information is, I would love to have it.

#54 ·
Bingo!! That's where I'm at. Don't want to forced out but sort of feel that way. Lack of console is just more icing to the cake I don't want to let go of but will as it won't digest well otherwise. We must not be that much of a minority to be ignored. Probably not the majority but there are others who feel this same way. Honda more or less left the Ridge a little lean in this department.

Would it have hurt them to boost the new cutting edge long awaited RL to tow 6000-6500 like its competitors? And therefore sell more RL's? I have to think no it wouldn't do anything to hurt there new sales, it would only benifit there cause to compete in the midsize segment.

#57 ·
How often do you tow your boat? How much weight do you carry in the truck while towing? With the RL these are the two questions I would want answers for before making that commitment.

I tow a 21' boat that stretches to 24' double axel trailer and it weighs 5k. I have two kids and a wife and I don't load them in while I travel for safety. With me only it's still over and the extra allowance is nothing. Not exactly and ideal good way to tow BUT I only transport it twice a year to the marina where it will stay. I like the other advantages of a midsize on a yearly basis to give the gen1 up for a full size that is better for twice a year towing.

However perfect situation is Honda sets up the gen 2 to handle more towing and keeps me interested in buying again. That way I get my cake and eat it to.

Other option is buy another make of truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.