Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Love my Gen I

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  fraugher 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to shout out on the mountain that I love my Gen I. Why in the Gen II forum? I joined this forum and bought my Gen I to get ready to buy Gen II, make sure it was the vehicle I wanted and needed. I could never foresee that I would buy and stick with the Gen I. I had a lot of faith in Honda (I am in the let down crowd, congrats to those who are not).

Stepped away from this forum for a while, and returned to loving my Gen I... only dissatisfaction come when I read every day about what it doesn't have. Just tripped 170k, and she really almost runs like new. I love driving relaxed, windows down, my dog puts both paws on the arm rest from the back seat and plays passenger the whole time with an occassional driver lick. Sometimes the truck looks awesome, sometimes it looks like an ugly duckling, I love it both situations, serves me great. The underbed trunk just keeps coming up with new ways to be useful. The bed gets abused, the back underseat has become my second garage. As loud as it is by today's standard, the last of the direct-response Honda V6s is awesome, forget all the electronic nannies and cylinder cutting, just do what I am asking. I love cornering like an Accord, doesn't even knock down the dog !

Won't say I will never be in a Gen II, but as long as I am not pursuing my dissatisfactions, but am rather appreciating what I have, there is no reason Gen I should not continue to serve well into the future. It's an awesome vehicle, and wanted to thank her and cheer a little.

See less See more
#2 ·
You nailed it. I have a 2009 Gen I and love it. I currently have a Dodge Quad Cab loaner and now that I am past that sweet Hemi engine, the size and lack of storage are wearing on me!

#3 ·
You guys just need to go add an aftermarket bluetooth stereo to get your vehicle up-to-date with hands-free calling, etc. Should be under $200 if you DIY. I don't think there are any affordable AA/CarPlay aftermarket stereos available yet, but i could be wrong.

Or get the $30 RF/FM BT adapter from GoGroove or whoever (that's what i use on my old Accord) - it lets me stream music from my phone and does hands-free calling.

#4 ·
Have had BT hands free the whole time, but did upgrade the HU from one BT to a newer one, whole audio system sounds awesome and mostly use integrated Pandora between HU and phone (XM receiver is now just gathering dust under the driver's seat). The local sheep love my portable BT speaker (Alesis TransActive) and the RL1 was nice enough to provide a nice storage space for it under the bed too. I do miss some of the bells and whistles that go with a new vehicle... like monthly payments and collision insurance, but am getting used to it.

Reactions: Shineaholic
#6 ·
one of the derisive comments I read when shopping for my 07 RTL was it drove like an Accord. that sold me. been extremely happy ever since. must preemptively replace the radiator and timing belt. although I only have 52k on it, its almost 9 years old in Florida so better safe than sorry. hope the airbag replacements arrive soon.

#7 · (Edited)
although I only have 52k on it, its almost 9 years old in Florida so better safe than sorry.
:surprise:

wow. 5700 miles a year! Any chance you are selling that? I might want your truck instead of a new one for the time being! I can ride my Gold Wing down, buy your truck and trailer the wing back to NY!

#10 ·
I too bought a 2013 while waiting for either the GM twins with diesel or the gen II RL. Sorry to say but I do not plan on moving on from the 2013 anytime soon. It does everything I need and it does it well; from dump runs to Home Depot buying sprees to towing my 21 foot boat. Its roomy inside, the dogs (2 Labs) love the platform I built for them in the rear seat area and the in bed trunk is a god-send. People either love it or hate it...I love it.

#12 ·
Actually its quite simple to build. There are a few posts on how others did it. Search under "dog platform" and you will get a dozen or so hits on how others have done it. In my case I have the underseat storage unit so I simply cut 3/4" plywood to fit the space. I added a piece of 90 degree angle iron (dexion) to the rear edge. This then slips between the storage unit and the truck rear wall. I added two feet at each forward corner so the unit is flat and leavel. I attached (stapled) a furniture blanket like moving companies use and then coverd that with removable dog pads. Its the perfect height for the dogs to stand erect and have their heads looking out the windows.

#14 ·
Just be careful, in the Gen2, your dog has easy access to and will grab your purse. :act018:

(not to mention scratch that sliding console door)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.