Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Jalopnik test drive this week...

16K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  northernlights 
#1 ·
#7 ·
You've been pretty hard on the G2 RL, but yet you don't seem to have completely written it off. What keeps it in the hunt for you?

#12 ·
"...This week we finally get to test, drive, and apparently even “off-road” it for ourselves. Get your questions in now!..."
1. Wheelbase measurement.
2. Turning circle
3. Front and rear track
4. Wheel/tire size

I realize most of these measurements are going to be tough to get, but even an eyeball guestimate would be helpful.

You're not going to be able to guess turning circle, but how tightly are you able to turn corners? This is the one thing I don't want to give up about the Tacoma, which in many other ways does not make for an enjoyable driving experience.

#27 ·
99% of pickup owners use their pickups like minivans especially the 5/4 scale truck guys.I guess driving a minivan wearing a 10 gallon hat looks a little silly. Then again lots of folks don't have self confidence to drive what they need. ;)

#28 ·
What you drive makes a statement about you.... and most people want to portray themselves a certain way (for example, not as a minivan geek or a guy/lady who drives a boring-looking car that's just designed from getting you from point A to point B). Some people don't give a crap what other people think, and that's fine, but that's not good marketing. That's why most manufacturers spend a lot of time/effort/money on designs that are efficient and original, but also look "good." Honda just seems to be relying on their reputation as a reliable manufacturer. The original RL was so good that word of mouth alone kept it afloat (certainly not advertising and arguably not its good looks). It will be interesting to see if a functional truck with a minivan look will sell, with or without a marketing campaign. They would have given it a better shot with a tougher look.

#34 ·
New Ridgeline commercial: sheep herder/farmer getting ready to load up the musical bed with his herd while he's drinking a latte with his pinky finger in the air and eating a plate of quiche... "Ridgeline, for the man/woman/transgender who's comfortable enough in his/her/hermaphadite's own skin to drive a sissy-looking vehicle without having to prove anything to anybody."

Going for the widest possible audience. I get it now!

#41 ·
Some of you guys most really live in rural areas and don't see women driving pickup trucks much. Are pickup trucks a man thing.
Women have been driving them for years so much animosity.
So why is Ford marketing their pickup trucks to women.
I remember the ABC news article about them marketing the mighty F-150 to women. So I don't see a problem with Honda and it's dainty Ridgeline.
But you had better read Automotive news and find out who is designing or in charge someway of some of your favorite pickup trucks. This includes F-150 RAM1500 Nissan Titan Silverado/Sierra Colorado/Canyon. Saw a women yesterday in a dress getting out of newer Tacoma dropping of her child at a grade school.

#39 ·
Im still waiting but choose to post what I think of it from the pics others have posted. Could that change when I see it and drive it maybe, or maybe it would be best to just leave this site now and leave it to the new and ones that love it. This isnt that much different then 13 years ago if you were around here then. Oh and I just sat in the Pilot for the third time and them arm rests are so thin and small, couldnt they have at least made them bigger, looks like a little twig. Waiting for the colors to besides silver, black and white soooo bland.

#43 ·
It'd be pretty amazing if one's masculinity was defined by their personality, behavior, and manliness rather than their truck... the only ones I know who act like the RL is not manly enough as guys who are not manly enough on their own. My old RL hauled my chainsaws, coolers of beer, guitar equipment, camping gear, fishing gear, and guns very well... And on top of that - it drove so much nicer than all my "manly" buddies' full size trucks. I will almost definitely get a G2 and continue to laugh to myself while knowing how much nicer of a ride and quality I have than their "manly trucks".

#49 ·
the only ones I know who act like the RL is not manly enough as guys who are not manly enough on their own.
LOL! One of the automotive columns somewhere on the net after the new 17 was introduced in Detroit said something like (loosely paraphrased):

"Not for those who need more carrying capacity to haul all their testosterone"

Pretty much says it all about many regular truck buyers. It is not a coincidence that Dodge hired Sam Elliot (love his movies, BTW), the most manly voice in the entertainment industry, to advertise their trucks.

#44 ·
The only point I'm trying to make relative to the RL's looks (focusing on its minivan front end) is that it's a marketing thing... so nobody should be surprised when Gen2 has difficulty selling, because to many people, looks/image matter. So why would Honda write those people off?! I'm also a very confident guy who doesn't care what other people think (and I also used my three Gen1 RL's to carry my guns, boxing gloves, fishing gear, tow my boat, etc. without any concern for what anybody else thought about it). BUT, there was a lot of criticism that the RL was basically a minivan with a bed (true or not, it was a perception and that perception sure doesn't help marketing). Just read the comments on any auto publication. So making Gen2 actually look even more like a minivan sure isn't going to help its marketing, as 1) most pickup truck drivers in the marketplace are in fact male, and 2) many of those males do care about what their vehicle looks like and what it says about who they are (as stupid as that may sound to a confident man). Not everybody "doesn't give a crap" what other people think. It's as bad for marketing as the lousy/missing marketing campaign that Gen1 had.

#45 ·
I am looking forward to reading what Jalopnik has to say. I enjoy their articles.they normally have some humor in them but are always great on giving me the information I need. Its pretty interesting to me, If you watch all the video from the different automotive journalists I would say about 80% of them enjoyed the GEN I Ridgeline and are looking forward to the GEN II. Most of them understand this vehicle fills a bit of a niche market. Honda has some very smart innovations and I am surprised none of the other automakers have stolen any of their ideas yet.

#48 ·
Me Too. As I keep saying, we need reviews (and more than one since the automotive press is no more immune from prejudice than some folks here are). Until then it is all mostly just BS opinion.

I keep seeing "It is just a Pilot". I keep saying "so what?". That is only bad if you don't like the Pilot or want a "real" pickup. If those are the case, I would have to ask those people why they are even on this forum except to be trolls.

I agree, this is a niche market for those who:

1) Do not need heavy load towing or carrying
2) Want better ride and handling than the "real" pickups
3) Have no need to compensate for some male inadequacy

As far as features, I agree some of those are great but it does not surprise me they have not been copied. It is not exactly like Ford (for example) feels the need to copy anything or even innovate when they already have the top selling vehicle with the F150 that they have conned Joe six-pack into buying.

Bottom line for me is that I have an 06 that has been trouble free and I love but want more modern features so once the reviews are in and if it still looks like it fills my needs after a test drive, I plan to trade to a 17. If not, I would still not buy a "real" pickup since I had one and hated it. I would probably go with an SUV and ultity trailer in that case.

I would be surprised if the reviews are poor (except those from the "real truck" crowd, who have already pre-hated the Ridgeline), however, so expect that I will buy one.

#46 ·
To me, this is a very good looking truck. I do not see a minivan when I look at it (and frankly I think that is not even a realistic comparison looks-wise). So it is nearly identical to the pilot up front, I don't mind that. As of now, after seeing many more pictures and different colors...I can't wait to park one of these sweet rides in my garage. (I am also assuming it drives as wonderfully as planned).

Attachments

#52 ·
If I was under 30 years old I'd probably take the new Tacoma over the new Ridgeline. The Tacoma, with its offroad stance, just looks tough. The Ridgeline doesn't, but that's okay with me, because I'm way north of 30 and I no longer need to impress anyone.
When I took the Tacoma for a test drive one of the things that bothered me was the flake hood scoop, which made a high hood even higher. To some I guess the hood scoop would look cool, but to me it makes no sense.

#54 ·
Had one of those and the fake hood scoop was wonderful at blinding me when driving into the sun, the reflection even tripped off my Beltronic! I had to find a big silly decal to cover it with in order to drive safely. The suspension however beat me up too much on the interstates so it became a Ridgeline, much nicer.:laugh:

#59 ·
So I just had a thought: remember the small truck market back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's? Specifically Toyota and Nissan/Datsun. Those truck could tow like 2000 lbs (guessing) and had really small cargo capacities. And you know what? They sold millions and millions. And people LOVED them! My point is people worry about capacities too much nowadays. It's kind of silly actually if you think about it. Right? When I retire and the kids are out of the house I'm going to buy a sports car and try to hunt down a decent 1983-1990 Toyota extended cab 4wd truck.
I can't wait to buy a new Pilot with a bed. I can haul a lawn mower, mulch, top soil, bicycles, tricycles, power wheels, groceries, suit cases, kayaks and the pilot with a bed will do fine by me. In steel metallic gray and AWD please. Or maybe white.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#60 · (Edited)
I've been a Toyota guy for years. I have owned the T100, the first Tundra and more recently Tacomas, first a 2006 and then a 2013. I've been unhappy with the 2013 which I still own. It's flat out uncomfortable and it's the "luxury" model. Highway driving is a joke; it weaves back and forth across the lane, requiring constant corrections. And it's easily big enough to have 48 inches between the wheel wells if they engineered it properly, but of course, that would cut into Tundra sales. I waited for the 2016 redesign to be released and was sorely disappointed with what Toyota came out with. In that instant, I knew I'd be shifting gears. Where was I going to find a mid-size truck with a car-like ride and road handling that could accommodate 4 x 8 sheets without bother?

I had always discounted the Ridgeline because of the impractical sails on either side of the rear window. I had been interested in the 2006 model but eventually decided against it. When I looked at the specs last year I realized this is the truck that I'm looking for — and Honda was reviving it minus the sails. I consider the trunk and the swing-out tailgate to be bonus advantages. I am not going to miss the leaf springs. I love the all-wheel-drive as I live in New England. Honda will probably improve its looks, especially upfront, with minor tweaks as part of model year improvements. But it really doesn't matter to me. A truck is a tool like any other. This one is the right one for what I need to get done.

I could care less what other people think about whether it's a real truck or not. It carries a load like a truck plus it's better designed than most trucks of its size. So no, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline is not the equal of conventional trucks — it's much better than they are.

#62 ·
Sure seems to be a lot of "I'm smart, I'm funny, and dog-gone-it, people like me" going on in here.

Somebody in one of the other threads said it best:

Honda Ridgeline. For the guy that doesn't give a crap.

Reactions: coolbob
#63 ·
I too currently own a Tacoma (16). It sucks. I'll never go back to another solid axle rear end if I can help it. Mileage on the Tacoma is never great but if there's even the slightest wind or if you're doing anything and I do mean anything you can forget about even halfway decent mileage. The engine always sounds labored. The seats are a joke. I could go on and on but the point is this new Ridgeline can't get here soon enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.