Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Why No locking tailgate?

127K views 162 replies 82 participants last post by  gameling 
#1 ·
Why does Honda not offer a locking tailgate option? Han a hard tonneau cover for My 2012 Ridgeline & Self installed lock from Pop And Lock. The combination makes my bed a secured storage space. If Honda does not want to offer a locking tailgate they should at least work with outside vendors to create it as a dealer installed option.

Would to get a 2017 Ridgeline but not without a locking tailgate. Honda hope your listening!!

#3 ·
We've been asking Honda to listen on that one since day one. And by the looks of it, the Gen 2 doesn't have it either.

Something so obvious and so careless of Honda.

#6 ·
I doubt it does and it would need to be something with remote. We have not herd any mention of tailgate lock.
Now the trunk locks as it always has but 1 video I think with Lauren Fix says it does something new for this year not sure. But locking tailgate would be wonderful.

#10 ·
Joe said the tailgate is essentially a carry over from Gen 1, the US spec sheet lists the same thing Power door and Tailgate Locks, I posted that in another thread and Joe said it does not lock.

#11 ·
Since the tailgate has two latching mechanisms they would have to have two locking mechanisms, which if mechanical key activated you may have to unlock both to open either one....not sure how that would work but maybe that's the concern. If it was electronic solenoid operated it could just unlock both at the same time.

#14 ·
Who is Joe csimo our fearless leader he may not be correct about everything Ridgeline but most times he is:laugh:

#16 ·
No it does not lock but a few times tailgate locked on me. Tonnueau Cover Mickey Mouse lock jammed a few times keeping tailgate locked. The other time clips broke inside tailgate with luggage inside Tonneau Cover latches inside were in lock down position. Tailgate would not open in either swing or drop down.

#23 ·
I ran across this paragraph posted 5/18 by TFL.

The lockable tailgate is a dual action affair that folds traditionally down, with molded-in seat indentations, or opens out to the left for flexibility in loading and unloading. The bed’s payload capacity is 1,584 pounds, and although only about 3 percent of Ridgeline owners will tow heavy loads, the towing capacity is 5,000 pounds and is J2807 compliant.

#30 · (Edited)
Don't know about tonneau covers, but my A.R.E. cap has a release handle inside in case someone gets locked in by mistake. I use a key to lock each time as mine isn't set up for remote lock. I don't know if any of the caps are self locking.

I have a aftermarket pop 'n lock on my 2008 RTL's tailgate. Love it, but a few months after I had it installed by a local A.R.E. dealer, a friend tried opening my tailgate from the side. When it didn't open because it was locked, he just pulled/squeezed the side handle near the bumper harder and the handle snapped and went slack. The tailgate didn't open which was good... but my friend paid $120 for the repair.

#31 ·
When it didn't open because it was locked, he just pulled/squeezed the side handle near the bumper harder and the handle snapped and went slack. The tailgate didn't open which was good... but my friend paid $120 for the repair.
Had the same thing happen to me twice. Sucks big time.

#33 ·
NO not for G1 Ridgeline tailgate for sure.
To be clear everybody we are talking about dual action tailgate of Ridgeline and not lockable in-bed trunk. Not sure as to were info is coming from about G2 Ridgeline tailgate locking.

#42 ·
Does anyone not notice the keyhole next to the center handle on the tailgate? This whole topic doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something? The tailgate will lock and unlock with the central lock just like on the G1. The tonneau they show has bars across underneath so it will also lock. That alone is a huge improvement over the G1 tonneau.

#43 ·
The G1 doesn't Lock, Never did, without an aftermarket kit from Pop n Lock or some other companies

The Hole your referring to is for the Backup Camera.

Yea, Your missing something.

#45 ·
I cannot believe that they didn't make this with a locking tailgate! Won't these be easy targets for thieves? I wanted a lockable tonneau cover so that I could store my high end ski and snowboard gear in the bed and still make stops or go back to the lodge for beers without worrying about $2k in ski gear being stolen. Total fail IMO on Honda's part, for trying to sway people looking at "real" trucks they are doing a poor job.

#51 ·
What have we devolved to? We need back up cameras on our cars and pickups? Somehow I have managed to get away with looking behind my vehicle before entering it and using my eyes and turning my head. Thirty+ years of at-fault accident free driving. First and only vehicle I've ever owned with a back up camera is a 34' motorhome with no rearview mirror or rear window.

Now we need stuff to warn us about things in our blind spots? To keep us in our lane? To apply the brakes if we don't? To get us through sand, mud and snow when we can't figure out what gear and how much gas to give it? Big brother has to protect us, but not secure our stuff from people who may want it. After all wanting to keep what we've earned, in todays' world, is seen as greed. We should open our cars, trucks and homes to everybody who might be wanting....

We are going to NEED self-driving cars sooner rather than later. Sad for enthusiasts.

#57 ·
Got this response from Pop and Lock today. There is hope!

"We are waiting to see what type of lock (if any) that the Ridgeline will come out with. Most of the new truck models are starting to come out with at least manual locks, in which case we will put out a power upgrade.
If you would like, I'd be happy to add you to follow up list and notify you as soon as we decide.
Thank you for your interest and have a Happy Memorial weekend!
Jacqui- Pop& Lock Marketing"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.