Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Who will be the first to buy a 2017?

14K views 79 replies 31 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
It's been over a week since the 2017s began shipping to dealers, a couple of days since the unofficial on-sale date, and 30 are currently listed for sale on cars.com. I'm somewhat surprised no one has come forward here as an actual buyer yet. Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Reactions: jeb
#2 ·
funny thing though, all the ones on cars.com have no pictures... makes me think they are posting the ones they have ordered...

i checked the first listing.. santa maria honda, got the vin and went to their website, no pics there either..

2nd listing mcminnville honda, same thing, no pics anywhere...

#6 ·
funny thing though, all the ones on cars.com have no pictures... makes me think they are posting the ones they have ordered...
That is exactly what it is. We saw the same thing when we bought my wife's 2014 Odyssey. We wound up getting one that was in the dealer's order queue at the factory already. It was basically a preorder of one that was already scheduled to be built and sent to that dealer. Took about 60 days to get, but it showed up as well w/o a picture once it had been built.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if that is significant or not. Sometimes dealers post generic photos or no photos at all even for vehicles they have in stock if they hadn't got around to taking and posting photos yet. Or, perhaps Honda has not authorized dealers to officially advertise the vehicles. Surely, there are at least a couple dozen sitting on dealer lots by now - I can't imagine the transport trucks that have been spotted just driving around in circles until Honda gives the okay. :)

#4 ·
Won't be anyone in NE Ohio, all dealers in my area won't have any until around June 8th, some of which could be sold already to the crazies that want to pay MSRP.

#8 ·
Per Joe, over 1000 are on dealer lots and some are already sold, link to the post below.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/132410-spotted-wild-8.html#post1989017

Yes, over 1000 on dealer lots right now. That's just less than one per dealer.

Keep in mind that since the G2 Ridgeline is on allocation the dealer has no idea what they're getting. They can't "order" a Ridgeline. They simple show up and that's that.

Many dealers don't want to show the Ridgeline until they have a few model line options. Other's, like my close friend sales manager sells them withing a couple of days after receipt. He sold one today.

Again the dealers have no control over what they're getting or when. Once they receive them they can sell them or choose not to until inventory builds.

A G2 Ridgeline can be sold on or after May 23, 2016. And many were sold on this date. You just have do dig if you want to be an early adopter.

My personal strong opinion is that you shouldn't but ANY of the first 10,000 VINs produced. There are problems. Hopefully they'll get many of them worked out in the first 10k jobs.

Honda has switched from a pro ECU update to a anti ECU update policy so the early adopters will have a hard time getting the improvements as they are introduced into RPO (Regular Production Options). Just as the head unit is common with the Pilot with a terrible interface Honda is not going to upgrade them to the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto which is standard on the Ridgeline high model lines. Honda is TERRIBLE with software updates... all they do is lose money.

Hang back for a few months and see what happens. PLEASE don't believe all the one sided BS of Camp Ridgeline. It was biased and tailored for the Ridgeline... had absolutely nothing to do with real world conditions. Even sales people passed off as R&D Engineers. All smoke and mirrors under EXTREMELY controlled conditions to make the Ridgeline look good. Not a single even head to head comparison. LAME.

#9 · (Edited)
That post was opinion with no documented supporting facts such as photos or personal purchase accounts and photos of their new G2 (and you can be sure they would post those immediately!). Where is the person on this forum who actually drove one off the lot, took a photo of one on the lot, etc.?

Zip, No One, Nada....

I will believe the post when I see the evidence. Until then, it is just a post.

#25 ·
I've GOT to find another hobby! I just woke up from a seemingly long, complex, and detailed dream that goes something like this...

I get a call from a dealer two hours north of me in Oklahoma who said he has a Black Edition ready for me to purchase. Without committing 100%, I took an unplanned rode trip up there immediately after work to go see it in person. In my dream, the Ridgeline was much lower in person and resembled a 4-door El Camino. The interior was nice except for the HVAC controls which were long, mechanical pushbuttons like the ones in an 80s Chrysler products. Still, I had convinced myself to overcome these objections. The whole dealer staff consisting of dozens of people was totally focused on every word I was saying and were all very anxious to see if I would actually be the first to buy one or not. I even taught them a lot about the first and second generation Ridgelines of which they knew little about. I loafed around "kicking tires" for what seemed like hours at the dealership finding new things I didn't like then convincing myself that I could live with each shortcoming. Later, dinner comes and goes, the salesman/GM's wife and kids meet him at the dealer, and many of the other employees gave up and decided to go home for the day. About the time I decided to buy, I realized the front grill had been smashed in during transport which meant a delay in ordering and replacing parts and another long drive back home and back to the dealer. I finally told myself "no big deal - it's just swapping out with new parts and no repainting is required". As I got ready to sign the papers, I noticed the rear bumper had been smashed in, too. That finally just about killed the deal, yet once more I convinced myself that "all they have to do is replace the bumper with one that has been painted and won't have to paint any sheet metal". However, the salesman decided he better double check with the body shop. We walked by the body shop, which looked more like the outdoor garden section of Lowe's - lots of beautiful plants everywhere - where we were greeted by a young cowgirl (looked like a Kilgore College Rangerette) wearing blue gloves and holding a can of spray paint. The GM asked her if she would need to blend paint up into the bed after replacing the bumper and she frowned and said, "Yes - unfortunately there is no other way to do it." I was discouraged enough at that point to just say "forget it" and drive home. The GM sensed my disappointment and felt bad for everything that had happened, so he was about to give me a huge discount if I would buy it and let them repair it...then I woke up in a slight panic.

#28 ·
Z -- You need to take a vacation to someplace new, exciting, and very different from your everyday surroundings! When you get back, the G2 RL saga will still be unfolding and the longer you hold off making any decisions about purchasing one, the more informed you will be! I agree that you would benefit from a new hobby...and I would benefit by spending less time tracking every new twist on the G2 RL! :)

#30 ·
Buyer beware. IMHO based on experience (2004 Nissan Titan Owner), never buy a first-year new model. First year RL owners may want to chime in. The new RL looks great, but I'd wait till next year and let the new model issues be resolved. Not withstanding, good luck to you early adopters!

#31 ·
I believe you'll find the general consensus is that the '06 Ridgeline was designed pretty darn well right out of the gate. I don't recall any significant first-year problems in the years that I've been a member here. Furthermore, I'd rather buy a first-year Honda than a last-year Nissan anytime! :)

#38 ·
I'm finally starting to get some consistent responses from dealers regarding the date they will allow the trucks to roll off their lots. se the attached response.

I have a few RTL-T 2wd and one RTL-T AWD coming in.. They will be here towards the end of June.. Honda is not releasing any until June 21st.. The colors are 2 silver/black and ..forest mist metallic(new color we haven't seen)/grey.. I can take a deposit and get your name on the next available Ridgeline coming in.. Let me know!

Best Regards,

Taylor George
Taylor George
Sales Consultant
Dick Brooks Honda

#57 ·
Bought one of the first Riggies and Yamaha Rhinos ever made, never had a problem just kept up on the up grades for the Honda. Besides normal wear and tear they have both been the best vehicles and toy i have ever bought. We all drive different and use things different, hard to tell what may happen to this new RL. I take all the new vids with a grain of salt, it doesnt make it if it doesnt make MY needs. Youll here many bashin it and youll here all the great trips with it also. It is what it is just wish Honda would build another truck, it could be so bad a$$ and they could close the door on the Comp within a few years. Aint goin to happen in their world they will go more green and I look for them to have the first electric so called truck, watch out Toyota.

#69 ·
I was told by the dealer they would release the trucks on the 17th. I got to order my white RTL-E and it will be here the first week of July! I've waited this long so a few extra weeks won't matter. I've had my 2006 RTL since the moment it came out and just turned over 100,000 miles today.

#70 ·
I really, really, REALLY want to love the new Ridgeline. I just had another dream the night before last about buying one (again - I haven't had dreams about vehicles since I was a kid). The suspense is exciting and I'd love to be one of the first to own one. Knowing I could drive my CR-V to the dealer and drive back in a new Ridgeline without a payment is a both a blessing and a temptation, but I just despise those armrests. If I somehow convince myself to buy one anyway, here is fair warning that I'll still be whining about the armrests. At minimum, I'll still be looking at and driving a G2 in a few weeks when my dealer gets one in - I just hope I have enough discipline to not make a regrettable decision. I'd be undecided between a BE or a white RTL-E.

#73 · (Edited)
The title of this thread should be "who will be the first to take actual delivery of the G2."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.