Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Mounting spare full size tire

25K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Daddio 
#1 ·
Hi
I saw a picture of a 2017 where a full size spare tire was mounted against the bed headboard, on the passenger side. Does anyone know how this is done? Is it bolted through that one offset plug there?
What size metric thread bolt and length is needed? Or is this available through any Honda dealership or on line supplier?

I also saw a full size tire mounted on the sliding tray where the compact is.... Nice... but when off road I rather have a full size tire in the bed when the bed is loaded

Thank you

#5 ·
Thx all
Yes I saw the video but it was not very detailed on removal of plug, hardware to use or get to mount the tire but I will try the suggestion below with the existing compact tire hardware.
Yes regarding the storage in the tray it looks like an old picture Gen1 truck post 351 by McChizzle

#6 ·
On page 133 of the Ridgeline manual they show how I can use the threaded rod (wing bolt) and spare tire spacer cone to attach a tire to the back wall of the truck bed.
I have a call into my dealer but does anyone already have order numbers and price for these two items, (as I want a separate pair)
Or does anyone have the (specification) metric thread size for this....in case I want to have on made out of stainless steel and find a decorative spacer/ quick release wing nut
My application is for full time storage of a full size tire(so the length of the threads rods may need to be longer too so I can palce the wheel "face side out" for a more attractive look.)
I believe they shared this info for more of a temporary storage place of the full size tire, when the compact tie in on the vehicle...

Thank you

#9 ·
So I am attaching pictures.
I need a "real spare tire" out at the ranch, with our gravel roads, so...
I purchased another set of the Ridgeline's spare tire bolt anchor and cap...for about $12 and add a metric coupler and metric rod. I believe they were M8 1.25??? It mounts nicely up against the bed header and I can keep the tire facing out. I may highlight the raised letters to complement the white RTL-E color.
I added a Brinks 3200 lb twin stranded cable lock,securing to the bed anchor next to the tire
No the rear view mirror view is not fully blocked...
This is a 255-60R/18 size tire. When I run my stock tires down, they will be changed to the same size...

Attachments

#11 ·
You're going to want to get a cover for that tire. Sitting out in the sun every day, it's not going to last more than a few years.

Has anyone tried to pull the spare tray out and squeeze a full size in without the sliding tray? That would be a compromise I'd be willing to make. Taking up 10% of my bed space with an exposed tire is not a solution in my eyes. It's a cheap band-aid.

#13 · (Edited)
... Has anyone tried to pull the spare tray out and squeeze a full size in without the sliding tray? That would be a compromise I'd be willing to make. Taking up 10% of my bed space with an exposed tire is not a solution in my eyes. It's a cheap band-aid.
I've looked into this for I don't like the idea of not being able to carry a full-size spare in the In-Bed Trunk. After taking some measurements at the dealership, removing that very shallow tire tray in the Gen2 will not free up enough space to place a full-size spare in that location, it's just too shallow.

Temporary spare tire (Gen2)

The Gen1's spare tire storage area is quite a bit taller than the Gen2's for it was designed from the beginning to accommodate either a temporary spare tire or a standard full-size tire (nothing larger). The Gen1 also has a bed wall mount, just like the Gen2, for when you are concerned about not being able to access the In-Bed Trunk.

Temporary spare tire (Gen1)

Standard full-size spare tire (Gen1)

Slightly larger than standard full-size spare tire (doesn't fit) (Gen1)

Full-size spare tire mounted in alternate tire mount location (Gen1)

#12 ·
Yes.
I am lucky in that the truck sits in a garage day and night most days and I use Aerospace 303 on it anyhow for some UV protection, which is what people should use on the "other four wheels " sitting in the sun!
Good preventive maintenance point though, even though I typically change tires every three years or so...
I plan to spray the threads too with the UV protectant, as I like the look of the naked TM tire. Also rotate it since it will sit on that hit black bed. Tire covers are available but?..Thx!
Hey I should spray the sidewalks with the black plastidip! Kinda kidding?

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think that would help for the OEM rim is too wide to fit in the Gen2 spare tire storage space. If you could find a skinny full-size rim and tire that would fit over the brakes, that may be an option. However, the temporary tire in the Gen2 is a really tight fit, so the full-size would have to be about the same dimensions as the temporary tire (165 / 90 R17). Does anyone make a full-size rim and tire with similar dimensions?

#16 ·
Honestly it's really a shame that Honda decided this was the direction they wanted to go. I would have probably made the space bigger than the one in the G1.

I guess my only thought would be to setup a 5th tire and go to a 5 tire rotation and store the spare in the garage when not taking it with you when needed, as you would still have the temp spare in the stock location. At least then it would stay in use, and you would get more miles out of all the tires.

#20 · (Edited)
Honestly it's really a shame that Honda decided this was the direction they wanted to go. I would have probably made the space bigger than the one in the G1. ...
Maybe they needed the extra space for the new i-VTM4 differential and other mechanical goodies. The bed floor is already pretty high, so I don't know if we would want the bed on the Gen2 to be any shallower than it already is by raising it up to accommodate storage of a full-size spare.

#17 ·
Daddio, thanks for the posting of the pictures - very much appreciated.

I have a full size spare and am planning the same.
I carry a dirt bike in my RL so would like to have the bike centered, which you cannot do with the wheel mounted forward.
Riding buddy has a boat business and does aluminium work and he had a quick look and stated that he could easily fabricate a mount (piece of flat) that used the mounts for the upper left and lower left forward anchor points, runs 12 (or so) inches down the inside left side of the bed, with a stud on it allowing the wheel to mount to that. This would allow the wheel to be stowed forward orientated on the left (or right) side of the truck rather than the headboard of the bed.
Similar to the last image above - could be either side.

This also allows me to use those two left side forward anchor points - they are rated for 300 lb each so will take the spare and tie down for bike.

Projects like this are a winter job for him so still a few months off - I will let the forum know how it goes.

#18 ·
That could be a cottage industry if done right. And if he's not interested in a hobby side business, then once complete you should post measurements and any details for other G2 owners. I'll make a suggestion, mount it on the drivers side, because the passengers side on the G1, blocks the view for backing, and makes the view out the back a total PITA.

Looking forward to pictures

#21 ·
I don't tow anything.I suppose I could even place a tow mounted spare tire rack, that flips down...

... But will it just rattle?!
And surely tougher to get around the truck in my garage.
And your rear sensors are set for nothing back there, so if you use them..take care

Attachments

#23 ·
You are welcome. So it is a metric coupler and a metric threaded rod. If you can't get a long enough threaded rod you may have to get two rods and two couplers.
Basically...

|///////////////////////////[ ]///////////////////////////[ ]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\}

bedheader; threaded rod; [coupler]; threaded rod; coupler.... Then the spare tire threaded rod with hand removal cap head}
I also added a drop of thread locker RED to the coupler only so things stay together tightly (working well). Of course no thread locker RED on the threaded rod going into the female thread in the bed wall, as I want to be able to unscrew easily. I suppose thread locker of less strentgh could be used there, but I have not realized any loosening yet

#24 · (Edited)
I'd originally bought a 3ft/1 Meter ( M8/1.25 for $6 ..not knowing about the coupler..:surprise:

is there exist a "wing end" that we just spin onto the new M8 rod ??...eliminates the need for coupler . :|

about the chain to the tie down....what's preventing the thief from unbolt the tie down and take the wheel ?

I'm also thinking 1 rod ...add a plate->> with 2 wheel stud bolts...then mount tire with a lug lock :wink::|:nerd::grin:

The option is there...

#25 ·
I cannot follow all your questions but...
I suppose if you search around you can find a better solution.
What I shared was readily available and simple and works for me!
If someone really wants your spare tire they will cut or break or unbolt whatever you have... I am just slowing them down. Where I live and typically travel ... I do not have major concern.
Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.