Beach Driving - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Beach Driving

Has anyone driven the 2017 Ridgeline on a beach with soft sand and if so, how did it handle ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Garage
Re: Beach Driving

I am wondering the same thing. The next time i have off from work i'm going to go by a beach pass and test it out.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 PM

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

My G1 2008 and 2014 did great with lowering the tire pressure to 15-18 psi. I hope my G2 does as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dman77, appreciate hearing how it goes. My also have a question regarding how the vsa system impacts driving on the beach when tires are deflated to say 18psi. Looking at buying either a 2017 & 2014, was also wondering how they compare on the beach.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 07:31 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL-E
Color: White Diamond Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957ridgeline View Post
Thanks Dman77, appreciate hearing how it goes. My also have a question regarding how the vsa system impacts driving on the beach when tires are deflated to say 18psi. Looking at buying either a 2017 & 2014, was also wondering how they compare on the beach.
I believe that in sand mode, settings such as VSA are modified to facilitate a better driving experience in the chosen mode (normal/sand/mud/snow).
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobiewah View Post
I believe that in sand mode, settings such as VSA are modified to facilitate a better driving experience in the chosen mode (normal/sand/mud/snow).

From the manual:

"To partially disable or fully restore VSAŽ
function, press and hold the button until
you hear a beep."

VSA OFF w/light indicator:
"Appears when Mud or Sand Mode is
selected. To turn VSAŽ on, select Normal or
Snow."

So.. when selecting either mud or sand mode...the system disable the VSA automatically.

I'm glad we have the option to manually turn it off, it's nice to have choice

Last edited by UnicornKaz; 08-13-2016 at 10:51 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM

On my G1 when you lowered the tire pressure to drive better on sand the VSA system stayed on and you couldn't disable it. The first time I drove on the beach I pulled the VSA fuse and lived with all the warning lights being on. Last year when I took my G1 in the sand I just lowered tires to 18psi and it did fine. I am curious to see how the sand mode works but I will still lower tire pressure the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM

Model: RTL
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

My family spends a week every year at Carova N.C. 4x4 beach. Our yearly rental is approx 8 miles down the beach. My father has owned the G1 since 2009, so with my new RTL I had plenty of experience with both on the sand. The traction was amazing especially once I went in sand mode. Rode in all conditions: wet, dry (8 inches deep), hard pack (closer to the ocean) and the most fun was up over the dunes (sand roads of course). My fathers G1 tends to throw you around in the bumps a tad more. Also in and out of the tire tracks the G1 had a harder time exiting and entering. The G2 with tire PSI lowered to 16 was amazing. Handled everything with confidence with a noticeable difference in sand mode. I was amazed with all the attention it received with several requests to pull over. One noticeable difference was driving along dry hardpack in which usually creates numerous small tight ridges (bumps). The G2 was so much smoother than the G1. The G1 would sure-come to such a vibration you had to reduce speed. The G2 just sucked them up and maintained speed. I was thoroughly impressed especially when comparing it to my brothers Ford Explorer, which was all over the place. A great week that surpassed my expectations. The G2 rides with confidence in the sand.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sI_lls3Tss_3gC
ncbryan and tjames007 like this.

Last edited by 10kster; 08-16-2016 at 02:28 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL-E
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

great comparison between the G1 and G2. Can you fix the image links?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kster View Post
My family spends a week every year at Carova N.C. 4x4 beach. Our yearly rental is approx 8 miles down the beach. My father has owned the G1 since 2009, so with my new RTL I had plenty of experience with both on the sand. The traction was amazing especially once I went in sand mode. Rode in all conditions: wet, dry (8 inches deep), hard pack (closer to the ocean) and the most fun was up over the dunes (roads of course). My fathers G1 tends to throw you around in the bumps a tad more. Also in and out of the tire tracks the G1 had a harder time exiting and entering. The G2 with tire PSI lowered to 16 was amazing. Handled everything with confidence with a noticeable difference in sand mode. I was amazed with all the attention it received with several requests to pull over. One noticeable difference was driving along dry hardback in which usually creates numerous small tight ridges (bumps). The G2 was so much smoother than the G1. The G1 would sure-come to such a vibration you had to reduce speed. The G2 just sucked them up and maintained speed. I was thoroughly impressed especially when comparing it to my brothers Ford Explorer, which was all over the place. A great week that surpassed my expectations. The G2 rides with confidence in the sand.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sI_lls3Tss_3gC
eastbayBee likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Model: RTL
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

100MPG if you right click the image does not give you the option to open in new tab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode