Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What do you HATE about your RL?

338K views 1K replies 394 participants last post by  KH111 
#1 ·
Don't get me wrong, we all absolutely love this truck - but it's not perfect! So what do you hate about your RL?

I'll go first..

I hate the fact that the hood doesn't have hydraulic struts. For a $50K vehicle, you'd think they wouldn't have cheaped out on that!

#8 · (Edited)
I hate that the bed doesn't have conventional rails that you can attach clamps to from underneath (or its own low-profile rail system like Toyota, Nissan etc.) for accessories like truck caps, tonneaus, racks etc.

I hate variable cylinder management (VCM).

I hate the doughnut spare tire, and the fact that you can't get a full size tire into the trunk.

I wish the bed weren't quite so shallow. Even one or two more inches of depth would be vastly preferred.

I wish the styling were more distinctive.

#11 ·
You can't be teasing with info like that man !!!:act051:

I already know about the YT streaming trick...but the bed audio trick is nowhere to be found...back it up !!!

If you can reply/post on a forum...you can post link...what's streaming have to do with link ?? and what's link have to do with your internet connection ?? :surprise::|

#12 ·
On restricted bandwidth and I can't bring up anything with the video or audio. Even typing in YouTube brings up a blocking screen... and I don't know links off the top of my head...but I was driving around with the music blasting much to the joy of my daughter. Lol thought it would cut off with speed but I went up to 100km and it was still playing...

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
My only real complaint in 700 miles and it's a very minor one at that, the rear seat headrests take up a lot of rear view mirror real estate. Hasn't been a problem. Just had to get used to what I am normally used to seeing.

#23 · (Edited)
Not too much to hate, if this truck holds up I will be happy. Right now my only real complaint is the squishy brake pedal. You do get used to it but when I drive our other cars and get back to the RL, it's a little scary at first until you remind yourself to adjust your driving style and be aware of the low, crappy activation point. Then in the back of my mind is the good old 1st year of production potential for teething issues. I did have a 2002 CRV that had a vin less than 1k and it was about the best Honda we ever had. Granted this one was built in Japan and out of all the Hondas and Acuras in my family only the newer ones made in the USA (2009 and up for us) have had some issues.

I also have a build quality issue with the fender being a little high relative to the headlight and the hood where they all meet. I guess I could raise the hood but the fender and headlight are not flush relative to each other like they are on the drivers side.

Also, when I unlock the passenger door by touching it the rear right door unlocks as well. It doesn't do this on the drivers side for the left rear door and the child locks are in the same position on both sides so I have to read up on that one.

It seems like the passenger can not be heard when in a call (RTS trim).

Oh, and the shake when stopped. I don't think it's related to fuel. Don't understand how Honda could have overlooked this.

#28 ·
Not too much to hate, if this truck holds up I will be happy. Right now my only real complaint is the squishy brake pedal. You do get used to it but when I drive our other cars and get back to the RL, it's a little scary at first until you remind yourself to adjust your driving style and be aware of the low, crappy activation point. Then in the back of my mind is the good old 1st year of production potential for teething issues. I did have a 2002 CRV that had a vin less than 1k and it was about the best Honda we ever had. Granted this one was built in Japan and out of all the Hondas and Acuras in my family only the newer ones made in the USA (2009 and up for us) have had some issues.

I also have a build quality issue with the fender being a little high relative to the headlight and the hood where they all meet. I guess I could raise the hood but the fender and headlight are not flush relative to each other like they are on the drivers side.

Also, when I unlock the passenger door by touching it the rear right door unlocks as well. It doesn't do this on the drivers side for the left rear door and the child locks are in the same position on both sides so I have to read up on that one.
I bealive if you unlock the passanger by touching it it unlocks all the doors, and if u touch the drivers door it only unlocks that door. From the factory i think it comes like that i'm 90% sure. My mothers 15 CX-5 does the same thing.

#24 ·
Not real fond of the black plastic trim surrounding the wheel wells and on the lower portion of the vehicle. That trim is actually coming loose on my rear passenger side wheel well. Can't figure out why it is tilted out a little at the top causing a gap between the plastic and the sheet metal behind it. Other than that, not much to hate for me. Pictures will be added after I take a picture.

Reactions: JCCLOW and joeone1
#25 ·
Nothing really. 9,500 miles and I don't hate anything. There are a few little things that bother me, like that bogus fuel economy estimate on the dash and wonky verbal input process for an address in the Garmin system compared to Google maps, but these issues are so minor when compared to the overall positives that they are almost meaningless to me. I was floored when I got my G1 in 2005 as to what a great vehicle it was. I am even more impressed with my G2.

#33 ·
Don't like some of the keyfob complexities:
- fast beeping that forces me to check every possible cause. Different beeps with different meanings would've been nice.
- just discovered today: When fob#2 is in the cab (wife's purse, wife was already in the vehicle) and I'm trying to remote start, it doesn't work. Locked and armed, my wife decides to get out, setting off the panic alarm BUT my fob could not stop it/unlock the doors. Had to use the manual key.

#40 ·
While I cannot say for certain I hate it yet. I fear that Honda still has not corrected the seat cushion issue. Has anyone else noticed that their left side lower cushion seems to be creasing? And then therefore the material will start cracking over time... Much like the Gen 1 issue and my Element had the same problem. Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: JDRten
#45 ·
1) NO LOCKING TAILGATE!! (I was clueless to this when I bought it. Thought that it had a power lock in the $42K vehicle) I will fix soon with an aftermarket power lock
2) Back doors not opening wide enough.
3) Front face of vehicle not appearing "truck" enough (although I am warming up to the overall look, and the angle down of the hood makes it easy to see forward)
4) Bed height under tonneau cover not enough to transport certain items I have.
5) Bed material slick enough to let cargo slide around too much if the cargo is not heavy enough. I bought a cargo stabilizer bar and leave it in just above where the trunk hinge is located.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOL08M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overall I'm 95% happy.