Why this 2017 will probably be my last... - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Why this 2017 will probably be my last...

All,

Seen a few other posts on this subject, but I had to vent on my own thread.

I got my 2017 Sport three weeks ago. Previously, I owned an '07 EXL and '12 EX. (Canadian.) I loved the truck because it was the right blend between daily driver and truck. It wasn't a workhorse, in the sense of pulling 10,000 lbs., but it did everything I asked of it. I hauled everything and anything I needed, long and short distances, I could fit as much in a RL as I fit in an Odessey, and then I could add a trailer.

The first gen RL was a clear and prime example of "function over form", which rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. I'd be the first to admit that there was room to improve its form, but never *ever* should that have come at the expense of function. The 2017 is the best example I've ever seen of "form over function", polar opposite of the first gen. It is absolutely clear that the design team did not understand the first gen, and completely ignored much of the reasoning. Nor did they actually try to USE their design.

When I first test drove the 2017, it was a Black Edition. At the time, I had been driving a Dodge Ram rental for 9 weeks, as a result of the Takada recall. The vehicle drove like a dream. I was smitten, but because I'd been driving a behemoth brick crap-house for so long, I'd not paid attention to what I should have been.

Then I got mine. It still drives great. First off, if all you're looking for is a driver - i.e. you (and maybe one other person) drives in this vehicle, and you use it exclusively for light duty, then yeah, it's great. Cat's ass. Overall, the fit and finish is awesome. I am generally pleased with the gas mileage, and the adaptive cruise, etc., is great. But if you want to do just about anything "truck" with it, it constantly disappoints. My list:

1) When they redesigned the bed (in part to accommodate the stereo system in the black) they made the cab shorter. I'm 6'1", my wife is 6'. When we're in the front, I have to *wedge* my son in the back seat, or one of us has to drive uncomfortably close to the dash. When the driver's seat is in my position, there is 2" of clearance to the back seat. FAIL. That obviously means there's that much less volume for stuff when the seats are folded up. (The 60 of my 60/40 doesn't lock, either, TBD on service.)
2) They took that ~4" out of the back doors. Because of the bulk of the armrests, and because they didn't put in 90 hinges, one cannot slide in long bulky objects into the back seat any more.
3) They took just enough out of the trunk that most of the things that used to fit, don't.
4) They added a texture (diamond plate) to the ribs in the bed that makes sliding big/or heavy things in *much* harder.
5) They made the rear bumper so narrow that when the tailgate is down, you have no step with which to get into the bed easily.
6) The center console easily has 1/2 the space it used to, and since it no longer has the second tier, the 'real' armrest is gone for us bigger folk. Not to mention a lot of good storage.
7) The center console makes moving around in tight spaces much more difficult. I've lost track of the number of times I put my truck in somewhere that I needed to scoot over to the passenger door. Can't do that any more.
8) The headlights (at least the non-LED versions) are SO dim that I almost can't see while driving at night. The high beams are marginally better. I would estimate that my old (4 year old) bulbs were 80% brighter.
9) I thought the old windshield was a rock magnet...
10) I can't figure out why they added defrosters to the rear windows. Totally useless, and they narrowed the windows up enough that visability out the back is affected
11) Relocated the mirror adjustment out of easy reach. When you trailer a lot, that is a PAIN IN THE A$$.
12) Relocated the rear power window switch to the overhead console. Why?
13) Something in the design of the rear tailgate that it constantly freezes shut. Never happened in the old truck, but three times in the last three weeks, I couldn't get into the bed until it got warmer.
14) The 1/2" they took out of the ground clearance has already caught me twice.
15) They placed the seat belt buckle so that you have to move the flimsy little armrest completely out of the way EVERY time you use it.
16) I didn't get a base model because they made sure to take out many useful features. But I would MUCH rather have gotten other useful design features over a sun roof any day. Been too cold to open it, to make comment.

And this is after three weeks, I (thankfully) finished a large move with the old truck, or I would be even more livid than I am. I haven't really had to do anything 'real' with it yet.

Now, don't get me wrong. I didn't expect the 2017 to be a 2014 with new tail lights, but they took it way too far. In my mind, all they did was make a really expensive El Camino, not a new RL. I have no use for that, so as soon as I can get out of it without losing my shirt, I will... and that will be that. I already went in to the dealership (Palladino Honda) to see what options I'd have to switch out, because that is how dissatisfied I am with the thing. But I'd lose too much to stand right now.

I want my old truck back. Willing to consider trades.

Kris.
Rick2456 and christianrance like this.

Last edited by sykosys; 12-30-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Garage
Re: Why this 2017 will probably be my last...

All Good and Valid Points as the owner you should be allowed to express. Good Luck whatever decision you make.

HMMMM, a Canadian Sport for an California RTS.....

Seriously, Good Luck

2015 Fit LX, CVT, Alabaster Silver, Build Date, 12/14

2006 Ridgeline RTS, Steel Blue, Build Date 03/05

1996 Del Sol S, Grenada Black, Build Date 02/96

Last edited by Carsmak; 12-30-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #3 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Most of the things I might be able to come to terms with. However, my son is 5 now. As he gets older, there will come a time when the three of us simply cannot go anywhere in the RL. That is the biggest problem, by far....

Kris.

post #4 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Color: Aberdeen Green Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykosys View Post
...The first gen RL was a clear and prime example of "function over form", which rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. I'd be the first to admit that there was room to improve its form, but never *ever* should that have come at the expense of function. The 2017 is the best example I've ever seen of "form over function", polar opposite of the first gen...
I hear you. It seems that a lot of products have changed to "form over function". Styling has become more important than functionality. (As a longtime Mac user, I see Mac computers and their OS being just one example of this.)
post #5 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Color: White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykosys View Post
Most of the things I might be able to come to terms with. However, my son is 5 now. As he gets older, there will come a time when the three of us simply cannot go anywhere in the RL. That is the biggest problem, by far....

Kris.
Every time an adult has ridden in the back seat of my gen1, they have commented on the adequate leg room. It is sad that the gen2 has been downsized in the usable space category. Now that it there is less cargo space and less passenger space, it makes me wonder which demographic it is targeting.
post #6 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Obsidian Blue Pearl

Is this a troll post? Did you buy a Gen2 RL sight unseen? None of those points are valid for me. If this truck does not fit your own needs, why would you get it?

2007 RTL Nimbus Gray Metalic, Murdered at 180K miles by a red light runner
post #7 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM

Color: Forest Mist Metallic
Garage

I guess it's good I didn't have a Gen 1. The Gen 2 is fine for me and my family (I'm 6'0" and wife is 5'7"), but I have a daughter that will always fit in the backseat.

only notes so far:

1. Touchscreen controls, onboard Nav and ACC/Lane Keep Assist aren't anywhere near the level of my Tesla
2. If you adjust the arm rests too high, you have to start over.

Plus sides:

3. Bed is wider and longer than Gen 1, but walls are shorter. Top is flat, so easier for a tonneau cover to seal all the way around.
ToneGuy007 and JoWoodburn like this.

2017 RTL-E Forest Mist / Grey [Delivered 12/3/2016] - roof rails / lighted side step / body molding / mud flaps / all weather mats / towing pkg / wheel locks
also: Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau / Llumar ceramic window tint / Opticoat Pro nano coating

Generally into EVs - Last 3 vehicles have been Tesla Model S (current car), Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf. Wife has 2004 Saab 9-5 wagon (looking to replace).
post #8 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM

Model: RTL
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

I agree. I took mine on several test drives to make sure its what i wanted. Im really happy with it. If i as in your position and noticed all those problems on the test drive, i wouldnt have bought it. I brought a car seat along to make sure it fit, took it down some unpaved roads and slight offroading.. ground clearance isnt great ill admit. Threw my rifle case in the bed. Opened and closed everything, pushed all the buttons... seems like you bougt it on a whim. Hopefully it works for you, but if not you could sell it easily right now and get most your money back
FTM1, hosel, Ridgerunner67 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Color: White Diamond Pearl

In all fairness Sykosis, you should be livid with yourself for not having rented one for an extended period of time before purchasing. You came up with 16 bullet points of shortcomings in a short period of ownership, really? Many of us in the states would love to have your Canadian sport.
hosel likes this.
post #10 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:34 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbugs View Post
Is this a troll post? Did you buy a Gen2 RL sight unseen? None of those points are valid for me. If this truck does not fit your own needs, why would you get it?
Have to agree that one post sounds very troll like because I know the rear seat is more than adequate for two adults as I have posted before.

Honda is going to sell a boatload of these trucks as more and more people come to their senses and realize they don't need some HD 4 X 4 that barely gets 15 MPG and often does not include advanced safety features.
hosel, 1stTruck01 and 2017BE like this.

1966 Corvair Convertible, 1967 VW Camper, 1976 VW Rabbit, 1981 Mazda RX 7, 1983 Mazda 626,
1986 Isuzu Trooper, 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, 1995 Toyota T100 SR 5, 2006 Highlander Hybrid, 2007 Tundra Crew Cab,
2010 Toyota Venza 4 cyl., 2015 Mazda CX 5 GT

2017 Silver RTL-E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode