2017 Engine Knock Between 1000 2000 rpm. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
RGH
ROC Rank: Freshman

2017 Engine Knock Between 1000 2000 rpm.

First noticed this knock at about 500 miles... Let it go until 1500 miles... This happens under slight load. Changed oil and filter with 0w20 mobile one. Still very noticeable. Took it to the dealer and had a lead technician listen to it.. He seemed concerned. Service writer listened to it and looked at me and said....That sounds like its in the lower end. They kept the truck and contacted Honda and explained the issue. They checked the things they were told to check... Told me they drove a new truck on the lot and it made the same sound....????? I trust the Dealership but this knock does not seem right... I called Honda Customer service and was told it is what it is... I would like to know if any one has this same concern. I love my new Ridgeline. It is a pre retirement gift to myself... I traded my 08 Ridgeline in on it... Right now i'am not sure that was a good idea... I pulled my trailer for the first time today,and it really talks to you with this load on it. PS I have been a Mechanic for over 45 years....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2013
Color: Other
Re: 2017 Engine Knock Between 1000 2000 rpm.

Low end knocks are never good, or normal! If that's truly where it's coming from, it will likely continue to get worse.

You have a nice 3/36K warranty....make good use of it! I would push it hard to "speed up" the inevitable. I think there will be a new engine in your very near future.

Make sure you document all your dealer visits/results, in case Honda does not want to cooperate, when the time comes.

Three former G1 RL's, all sold.
Now: 2015 F150 Supercrew 4x4 2.7L Ecoboost
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: TOURING
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl

Drivetrain warranty is 5 years by the way.

Cheers, Hans
Montreal, Canada

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

Interesting. You can obviously recreate the conditions that the knock occurs. Can you describe exactly how you're driving it (uphill, down hill, full throttle, etc.) when the knock happens? Do you feel any hesitation when this happens?

Since it's been doing it for over 1k miles, I'm assuming it's not bad gas. anti-knock sensor maybe?
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Color: White Diamond Pearl

Your are not Scotty Kilmer are you, Ha Ha? The Earth Dreams DI V6 is noisy aside from the clickety nature of the DI, I swear it sometimes make the sounds of a worn belt from a Chevy v8 of the 1970's. It's not the chirp that requires a shim kit. I think I hear what sounds like the timing belt tensioner issue. It sounds like the belt is just flapping around in there. (My Odyssey did this and was told it was normal) When its cold and under light load I swear I hear a mild version of piston slap not really metal to metal though but punchy and unrefined. Almost all of these sounds I do hear on numerous videos of MDX's and RL's and Pilots I have viewed. It's all probably just normal and if it lasts I'm good with that. As long as it is not a metal to metal sound I wouldn't worry. We are kind of screwed though. I wouldn't want them opening up an engine and putting it back together. Heck some of them can't even remove a seat without creating damage. It's probably better to leave it alone unless something breaks.

By comparison, my 14 Accord Earth Dreams non DI V6 sounds and feels buttery smooth and just slightly off when VCM and torque converter lock/unlock occurs. And the Earth Dreams 2.4 sounds like a quiet diesel.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTS
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Strange...I've got 800 miles on mine now and it's very quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode