15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTX
Model Year: 2007
Color: Sterling Gray Metallic
to G2 or not to G2 - I'm torn

I'm lucky that I can buy my vehicles new...so I can offer SOME perspective on trucks and quality.
Truck 1: 94 T100 standard cab 2WD. Never a problem 110K miles. sold it...and saw it STILL on the road up until a few years ago. Perfect for me as a single guy. Got married, had a kids...then the single bench seat didn't work anymore....
Truck 2: 2000 Toyota Tundra 2WD extended (access?) cab. 120K miles. Never a problem. another kid on the way caused me to go "bigger" on the cab. Couldn't afford a "real" big truck, didn't want to pay the fuel either. In comes my;
Truck 3: 2007 Ridgeline (paid $23K). Silver mid line model. Ran it to 110K...no problems. Great mileage. Never stuck in snow...great for my 3 kids and work and play.
Truck 4: 2013 Ridgeline sport (paid $29K). Wanted a new truck before the RL vacation on redesign. Quality seems a bit less on the 13 than the 07. But still. Its did everything well. Had to give up power seats for the sport, but that was about it.

I toss stuff in the back constantly. Pull tow dollys with a car and a trailer up to 4500 lbs. probably monthly. No work, just fun duties.

Now I'm looking for a new truck. I'm open to anything. Colorado 2.8 diesel....but can't see myself back in a BIG full size truck. After all, I drive 50 miles RT for work each day and 90% of my driving is with an empy cab and bed. 15mpg is NOT something I want. I WANT AWD. after having it, I can't say I want to be without it. Seems no matter what I look at...$40 K seems to be the number that comes up.

Deal I was just offered: 2017 RTL-E (42.4K sticker)...$39.5K...~$2900 off MSRP . with $15K trade in on my 13 Sport. 80K miles. I just don't know. I'd have to fork over my Truck PLUS $27K (out the door).

I could probably sell my 13 for ??? 18k? but then have to add another $1000 on my check to cover the sales tax loss...so that's really $17 (not the 18K).

What would you do??????????? Why the RTL-E? I need a back window as I use it OFTEN for transporting mouldings and trim for my wife's work! My wife likes the safety stuff....but I could care less. I don't even like leather! My 12 yr old noted the shape of the entrance to the rear seats is much narrower.....and harder to get into. Heck, If I could find and aftermarket sliding window..I'd be much much happier in a cloth seat RTS and save the 5K!

I've looked at the Colorado/Canyon Diesel: $38K. but you can't even lay a 4x8 sheet down between the wells in the bed! wtf? Tundras have gotten way way too large and pricey. Full sizes are ...we'll too big.
I just seem to find anything that will do what the RL does......except for an RL. go figure.

What would you do?

Last edited by shopguy; 03-11-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2014
Color: White/Grey
Garage
Re: to G2 or not to G2 - I'm torn

I would hang onto the Sport for another year or two. Reasons:

1) It's still young and reliable;

2) They are not giving you anywhere near what it's worth in trade;

3) The 2017 is a first year model with some typical growing pains;

4) A 2018 or 2019 stands a chance of having the opening rear window trickle down to lower trims, and to having the rear door hinge re-designed for wider opening. (In fact, those are probably the two most likely changes to be made in the next model year or two);

5) Your kids will be a year or two older and will hopefully take a little better care of the new vehicle (fewer spills, pukes, diaper blow-outs, etc).

^^^
Hondas:
2014 G1 Ridgeline RTL
2007 G1 Pilot EXL/DVD
2006 G2 CRV SE
1995 G5 Accord V6 LX (RIP)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 PM

What's wrong with the 13? Not old, it serves your needs, probably has low miles. It has some life left and you can wait a bit until the 17 inventory has caught up, then you can get a better deal and maybe some of the mid-model improvements might come into effect.

I'm waiting until my 09 Tacoma gives up the ghost and I'm getting the Ridgeline. It checks all of my boxes as a suburban, daily truck driver who loves a truck for weekend warrior stuff but doesn't offroad or need to tow 10k lbs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
coolbob likes this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:01 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl

You've fallen into the E trap. To have that window it will cost you big bucks over an RTS. Either pay up or forego transporting the trim. Not an ideal situation and Honda trim offerings have put you in a box for sure. The swaying factor would be the sensing if your wife is mentioning it and those awesome headlights to boot. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with a manual rear window. You could keep your current RL until you can take a look at the other trucks when they come to market in the next year or two. It's just a shame because an RTS plus sensing (1k) and a rear window (500?) is all you need. If you have to do this right now at least you are getting a good deal on an E. A radical thought would be a 4WD Sienna. It sounds like it will cover all the bases except you get the good old minivan label in return.
2017BE likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Model: RTL
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

It sounds to me like you've already decided.

Test drive a few different trucks. (F150, Canyon, and the RL) Then decide what works for you.

I personally drove the Ram Big horn 3.0 Diesel (and loved it from a motor perspective) and drove the 2.8 GMC Canyon and hated it from a pickup perspective and the F150 (best competition to the RL2 IMO). And then I bought the RL2 cause it was better for what I wanted (A SUV like pickup truck which I call my SUT). The RL is the best of the group for being like a car like thing. It's less truck like on the road and less truck like and fits in my garage. And I don't have to tow anything over 3500lbs anyway. So, it was the RL for me. And yes, I agree the opening back window would be nice for 16ft moulding but I haul that only like once every 5 or so years. (maybe)

Steve
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Model: RTL-T
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

I LOVE my G2, just saying.

Isn't it possible to buy a OEM rear window with sliding door and have it installed?

Or wait for the '18 G2 on something that MIGHT change.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Model: RTX
Model Year: 2007
Color: Sterling Gray Metallic

To make the G2 into what I really want:

1) 2" more ground clearance (do-able) aftermarket lift kit and tires
2) skid plates (do-able) aftermarket
3) turbo diesel and 30 gal. tank for some R A N G E ! Honda makes the N22 diesel for non US market cars...but is a little small.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 PM

Model: RTL-T
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

Two out of three ain't bad
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 PM

Model: RTS
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

Sounds like you need to keep your 2013 and keep it till you hit at least 200k!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 PM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model: RT
Model Year: 2006
Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslick23 View Post
Sounds like you need to keep your 2013 and keep it till you hit at least 200k!
This is what I would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode