'17 RL air conditioning - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

'17 RL air conditioning

Hello RL community,

I currently drive an 2010 Accord EX-L V6 and seriously considering the '17 RTL. Researching everything before trading the Accord in (like I do with every car purchase).

What I love about the Accord is the MPG (for commute) and the air conditioning performance. It really blows out cold air on hot days and works real well.
The heat output take a while to heat the cabin up on subfreezing days compared to my other cars I had in the past.

Wondering how's the air conditioning performance on the '17+ RL on hot days. Would like to know from other 2nd gen RL owners and comments about it, also does the heat mode work well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Re: '17 RL air conditioning

I'm interested in replies to this as well, but there may not have been enough owners last summer and in really hot climates to really say. It's also somewhat subjective, or relative to what you're used to.

Hopefully Honda uses a different system than Acura was using about 5 years ago, because its poor performance in taking way too long to cool a heat-soaked car was a deal breaker for me in the Arizona desert. Even after 20 minutes it was only just beginning to feel cool, and that's way too long compared to other AC systems. As long as the Ridgeline AC is beginning to feel cool within 5-10 minutes, I'd be OK with that. The trouble is, I'll have to wait until mid-June to test it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

I bought my RL in December but I keep it on auto and the AC has kicked on. I can't really say what it is like when it is a hundred out and you fire it up. Still we have hit a few 80s over the winter, snowed the next day, love this city, so I can say it works as well as either of my CRVs. Oh my CRVs were great. Not like my other cars where you got to sweat for a few miles while it got in the mood

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: BLACK

I bought my BE in June so have driven in hot & cold climates. I live in SE Virginia so it's pretty humid in the summer. No issues at all in the summer and I normally have the Eco button on which lowers the effectiveness of the air conditioning a bit. I also use a windshield screen in hot weather which makes a big difference in keeping the cabin cooler.

Warming up in cold weather is about the same as other vehicles I've owned. My RL isn't garaged so it takes a bit longer to warm than I'd like but in my perfect world I'd have instant heat. Between the heated seats & steering wheel, I'm toasty in no time at all.
FTM1, OFD107 and Shineaholic like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Model: RTS
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

I can't speak to how it would do in Arizona, but I purchased in August and it dealt with a 95+ high humidity heat wave here in Central PA just fine. I am also coming from an Accord (2013 Sport 6MT) and felt they were about equal with a slight edge to the RL. That said, my Accord was Modern Steel Metallic (dark gray) and the RL is Lunar Silver so that may make some difference. Both had/have black cloth interiors - I can't speak to the leather interior other than to say my test drive in an RTL-T with the gray interior cooled down as fast as I would have expected.

I would say mid-day with the sun bearing down on a 90+ day, the AC cannot keep up with the ECON button on because it cycles the compressor off too often. As the sun goes down it balances out. My wife probably wouldn't notice, but I prefer it colder and turn off the ECON. I would imagine if I lived in Arizona I would not use ECON in the summer for that reason.

The other nice thing is the triple zone, which means I can keep the driver and the rear seat colder (for my daughter) and my wife can keep her seat warmer.

Had no problem with the heat in the winter either other than to say that the wipers sit lower than where the defroster vents are aimed at and a few extra minutes are needed to free them up if they are iced up with a foot of snow on them. It was not much of an issue and after it was cleared the wipers did not ice up when driving in snow/sleet/freezing rain. The Canadians get a heated wiper area which probably eliminates this issue.

Having the rear defroster worked great - I'm not sure what it was like in the gen 1 (since the window is angled a bit more and sunk in), but in the gen 2 RL snow that is sitting in the bed swirls around above 50mph or so and it will stick to the rear window. The defroster keeps that from icing up until the cabin is warmed up.

As far as MPG - I avg between 6-7MPG lower under the same conditions than my Accord with the 2.4 4cyl/6MT - A long trip I would get 34-35mpg in the Accord vs 27-28mpg in the RL. Normal mixed Hwy/Rural I got about 28-30mpg in the Accord and I am around 22mpg in the RL. On my super sucky short daily commute (taking my daughter to daycare and working from home) which is all rural up and down hills in the woods I was around 23-24mpg in the Accord and about 17-18 in the RL. Note this is what I expected - the penalty for 2 extra cylinders, 1100lbs more weight and poorer aerodynamics.

I would think your V6 Accord would be closer to the RL though. Hope all that helps

Last edited by fargin; 03-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Model: RTS
Color: Obsidian Blue Pearl
Garage

I have a dark blue RL and I live in Florida. It doesn't get much hotter or more humid. The A/C works very well. I'm not a fan of the controls as it forces me to look at it every time I adjust it instead of the old fashioned rotating knobs which I could do by feel alone. It is very quiet yet powerful and it cools fast when temps are near 100 degrees.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM

Model: RTL

I'd say my A/C works at least as well as any other car I've ever been in. I set a temperature and the system cools it down to that temperature on a hot day before I break a sweat, so I'm not sure how it could be any better.

The heat works just as well, but it seems to take a long time before the engine warms up enough for it to start blowing heat
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Model: RTL-T

Got pretty warm here today so had the AC on, worked very well. I had to use the hands free and it cut the fan to low and back up after I was done. Does anyone know if it only does that when the system in on auto or all the time?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM

Model: RTL-E
Color: White Diamond Pearl

Does the RTL have remote start? My RTL-E is my first vehicle with remote start and I have used it to heat the interior in the 6 weeks I have had it a couple times and anticipate using it to pre-cool the G2 once summer ever gets here. Remote start senses the current temperature and kicks in the appropriate system - heat or cooling. Can also hold down the unlock button on the remote fob and all the windows will go down and sunroof will open as an alternative approach to let some heat escape.

"I'm so far behind I think I'm first!"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Most ACs in cars seem to do OK up to about a hundred. But they really start to peter out quickly as you get above that, to 110F and above (which the desert southwest reaches for extended periods in the summer). Often the overnight lows barely drop below 100 for long stretches in the summer.

And the "weather channel" temperature is measured in the shade. In the sun (which is where a car in the parking lot soaks all day), temperatures can be well above 150 when the shade temperature is just over 100.
Inside a car, even higher. Video of car interior in June in a suburb of phoenix:
it gets to 190+ by the end of the video. It's pretty brutal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode