LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl
Garage
What AWD mode do I use on boat ramp

My boat ramp is steep and wet and boat is heavy. What mode is best for pulling boat out of water and up ramp with minimal front wheel spin?
I'm thinking Sand/Mud????? Anyone had experience on boat ramp. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 PM

Re: What AWD mode do I use on boat ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture View Post
My boat ramp is steep and wet and boat is heavy. What mode is best for pulling boat out of water and up ramp with minimal front wheel spin?
I'm thinking Sand/Mud????? Anyone had experience on boat ramp. Thanks

I don't have a Ridgeline, but I've been towing my boats with Honda Pilots for a decade. I've never had to even engage the VTM lock and I've been to some knarly ramps. The vehicle figures it out and I'm towing 4,000 pounds.

Have you actually had problems?
2017BE likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 AM

Model: RTL

Since you're not on sand, mud, or snow, my guess would be "normal".
2017BE likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model Year: 2014
Color: White/Grey
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Thompson View Post
I don't have a Ridgeline, but I've been towing my boats with Honda Pilots for a decade. I've never had to even engage the VTM lock and I've been to some knarly ramps. The vehicle figures it out and I'm towing 4,000 pounds.

Have you actually had problems?
Ramp conditions can vary widely, as can tow weight, trailer set-up, etc.

I've been towing a 4K lbs boat rig with my G1 Honda Pilot too, and find it helpful to engage VTM-4 lock on ramps for the initial straight pull out of the water. I've experienced front tire spin on occasion on some ramps when I forget to use the VTM-4 lock. I also feel the over-all strain on the front driveline is lessened by sending more power to the rear during the high-load initial pull.

On the G2 Ridgeline with it's torque vectoring system, more power is always sent to the rear wheels than on either the G1 Ridgeline or the G1 Pilot. I would probably see how it does before engaging an alternate traction mode.
McChizzle likes this.

^^^
Hondas:
2014 G1 Ridgeline RTL
2007 G1 Pilot EXL/DVD
2006 G2 CRV SE
1995 G5 Accord V6 LX (RIP)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Normal mode should do it. But if it doesn't, try "snow" mode.

The most common problem I see at boat ramps is that people apply too much throttle too quickly. This causes the tires to break traction (wheels spin), at which point you have little to no traction. Snow mode will reduce throttle response (as will ECON mode), and reduce the risk of wheelspin.

Sand mode, on the other hand, will enhance throttle response. That is the last thing you want on a boat ramp.

If you still run into traction issues (highly unlikely), then air the tires down to 15-18psi, that should give you enough traction.

Another tip is to carry some old beach towels. Get them wet, then place in front of tires for enhanced traction in slippery areas.
MJWayne and Dogs 2C like this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboat View Post
Normal mode should do it. But if it doesn't, try "snow" mode.....
I understand and agree with the idea of the light-foot on the throttle to prevent breaking traction, but would want to know whether snow mode on the G2 skips 1st and starts out in 2nd gear? If so, I'm not sure that would work well when towing a heavy boat up a ramp. Anybody know?

^^^
Hondas:
2014 G1 Ridgeline RTL
2007 G1 Pilot EXL/DVD
2006 G2 CRV SE
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Model: BLACK
Color: Formal Black

Not a boat ramp, but similar in terms of the physics at play:

- Yesterday I was towing a 3,000 pound trailer and my RL had a lot of people and gear inside.
-Got to the trail, had to go pretty far into the trail to offload my sxs trailer.
- First big hill - big rocks, steep, very loose sand. Again, pulling trailer, too.
- Put the truck on "L", and eased onto the throttle. Felt front tires start to spin, then the truck sorted it out and applied traction where there was traction to be had. Truck gradually pulled itself up the hill and over the obstacles.

I think if I can do that on loose sand and rock, pulling a heavy load up a very steep hill, you should be fine on a cement boat ramp. If you start spinning, just let the truck's electronics figure it out. I can more or less assure you that the truck will do it in normal mode. Just shift to "L" would be my advice.

--------------------------
2017 Black Edition with OEM tonneau cover (daily driver)
2015 Land Cruiser (weekend adventure rig)
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe (the toy!)
2015 Sienna SE (obviously the best one of all!)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Truck View Post
I understand and agree with the idea of the light-foot on the throttle to prevent breaking traction, but would want to know whether snow mode on the G2 skips 1st and starts out in 2nd gear? If so, I'm not sure that would work well when towing a heavy boat up a ramp. Anybody know?
That's a good point and a good question. I did a little digging and couldn't find any info on starting gear, including Honda's press release on the drivetrain:
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ridgeline/releases/2017-honda-ridgeline-press-kit-powertrain

and Jalopnik's article on the different modes:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-2017-honda-ridgelines-trick-off-roading-m-1775651261

I guess the best way to find out is for a G2 owner to go out and count the shifts in Normal vs Snow modes.
ISO Truck likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Garage

The G1 RL manual (and the G1 Pilot manual) suggest using the "2" selection on the transmission selector (which only uses 2nd gear) for starting out in snow/slippery conditions. Which makes me wonder about the snow mode on the G2.

Then again, 2nd gear on the G2 RL is roughly equivalent to 1st gear on the G1 Pilot, so maybe it would be fine.

But I still think the best advice is to use normal mode unless/until a problem develops with traction.

^^^
Hondas:
2014 G1 Ridgeline RTL
2007 G1 Pilot EXL/DVD
2006 G2 CRV SE
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: TOURING
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

I used snow mode in my G2 quite a bit this year and starting out in Drive it didn't feel any different than the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode