Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Buying G2 ADVICE

10K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  fraugher 
#1 ·
Have 07 g1 RTL with 52K original miles. Thinking of swapping it into G2 Touring, but concern with few things:
- rear doors don't open large enough
- rear seats are too small
- low bed and small trunk.

The ground clearance can be up for 1.5inch with leveling kit which is no big deal anymore. However, I am thinking that may be in 2018 we can get "new" ridgeline with fixed these issues, what do you think? Or may be new ranger will look better, not sure if it would be front drive like ours..but style definitely looks better to me.

Is it worthy 1 year more waiting time?

#3 ·
I highly doubt they will change door opening. This seems to be a structural design they went with. I don't know reasons but the vehicle got high crash ratings. It would seem if they could do it they may alter crash worthyness. I would not look for any changes except radio volume knob.
They probably already have an idea of what models people want most so will start producing more. Lights could probably be upgraded on lower trim models but that would piss off people that bought higher trims for that reason. It would also add additional cost to vehicle.
Just pure speculation but rear door opening highly doubt.

Reactions: Nervey
#4 ·
It's never worth waiting because if you get in that mode than your always going you want the next thing that comes out. It depends on what you do with the truck. I have 3 kids and they all fit comfortably in the back. I also usually don't have anyone in the back so I don't have issues with the door opening. I'll give you an example, went to Costco on Monday. Didn't have room for water in the back seats because of the kids car seats so I put the water in the bed. Anything that can fit in the bed that's not fragile I put there. And they don't slide around. Nothing slides around. When I take the trash to the curb the can doesn't slide around in the bed. The truck is exceptionally quiet. Handles like a car. Gas mileage is reasonable especially at $2.12 a gallon. I have no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Most likely changes will be upgraded headlights on lower trims, and a new touchscreen (possibly with a knob).

Doubt the doors will change unless it's a very easy engineering / production tooling fix. You will only gain an inch anyway due to the convenience food tray built into the door panel.

The trunk and bed won't change, probably not until G3, if even then. At best, we can hope that Honda will intro a single cab with a seven-foot bed, but even that is unlikely as long as their production cannot meet their demand.

#6 ·
I would be willing to bet that all of the issues you list won't be/can't be fixed in the current G2. With that said, if the benefits of the new design don't outweigh the limitations in your mind, the G2 is absolutely not the truck for you. You should either hold on to your 07 or perhaps research getting a later year G1. You could wait until G3 comes out (if there is one), or look at other manufacturers' trucks.

#7 ·
I haven't heard anything about the trunk being too small. I can fit in the trunk. From the one or two pics I've seen of the G1 trunk the sizes look similar.

I have heard mostly good things about the rear seats, I think the leg room was criticized once or twice but not the size of the sears.

The rear doors, I feel should open more. Not a dealbreaker for me though, I barely haul people.

I wouldn't think the new Ranger would be as versatile or comfy as the G2, of course I have been wrong many times in my life.

#12 ·
I only sat in the rear seat of the G2 once at the Dealership when they first came out. I spent more time looking at bed trunk interior door opening exterior and front seats. This was the 2hr at the dealership.
I also spent considerable amount of time with G2 at Auto show last month. The in-bed trunk to me in the actual well part that you would use for lugage or grocery bag ect. It appears to be reconfigured better to accommodate stuff better than G1 trunk. The ledge is gone. But the trunk space in & around the spare tire area is definitely smaller. If people say a full size spare can fit in the G1 sliding spare tire drawer. But fullsize can't fit in the G2 sliding tire drawer space.

#9 ·
The trunk in the G2 is smaller than the G1 trunk, but it is also more useable for many because the G1 had an uneven floor.

The seats in the G1 and G2 are the same. As far as room, 2017 numbers for rear seat are headroom 38.8", shoulder room 61.5", hip room 56.6", leg room 36.7". Underneath volume is 2.9cf, trunk is 7.3cf. I'll see if I can dig up G1 numbers....

#10 ·
G1 numbers (2014 model): headroom 39.1", shoulder room 62", hip room 57.1", leg room 36.4". Underseat volume is 2.6cf, trunk is 8.5cf. Interior volume on G1 is 112cf vs 109.2cf for the G2.

So, yeah, G2 is smaller inside (despite being fatter outside), but you do get a little more legroom and more underseat volume.

#11 ·
Those complaints are non-issues. They are contrived and I simply don't believe that YOU believe they are real problems with the truck.

Rear doors don't open enough... for what, exactly? Humans and gear fit in without any problem.

Rear seats are big enough for 3 adults. There are countless review videos on youtube confirming this, and I can also confirm with 3 kids with kid seats (one child seat and two boosters) that the back seat is quite roomy. Comfortable, too.

Low bed - you mean shallow? Not sure how or when this would ever be an issue in real life. What are you hauling that you need higher bed sides for? It has tie-downs throughout the bed, rated at over 300lbs each. A somewhat shallow bed is not a real issue.

Small trunk - this is what makes me think your complaints are made up. I will tell you the trunk on the Ridgeline is 100% larger than it's competitors. Make that 1,000,000% if you prefer. It's huge, and again, video reviews... everyone loves getting in the trunk to show how large it is.

If you're going to get another truck, it would have to be because you NEED to tow over 5,000 lbs. There's literally no other reason to get another truck other than "image" if you're not going to tow more than 5,000lbs (which 90% of truck owners never do.)

Don't say "off road", because trucks aren't built for serious off-roading anyway. I've had my truck (just this past weekend) on some dicey trails with large rocks and whoops while hauling my 3,000 pound trailer. I did not so much as scrape the truck on anything, and the AWD system clawed it's way impressively up every hill.

The reasons to buy a Ridgeline absolutely dwarf any petty concerns to not get one.

#13 · (Edited)
Those complaints are non-issues. They are contrived and I simply don't believe that YOU believe they are real problems with the truck.
They are issues if the buyer says they are issues. I would really lay off the fan-boi preaching.

Rear doors don't open enough... for what, exactly? Humans and gear fit in without any problem.
Life. Again, because it works for your particular lifestyle, do not force your religion upon others.

Rear seats are big enough for 3 adults. There are countless review videos on youtube confirming this, and I can also confirm with 3 kids with kid seats (one child seat and two boosters) that the back seat is quite roomy. Comfortable, too.
He is comparing to the 1st generation.

Low bed - you mean shallow? Not sure how or when this would ever be an issue in real life. What are you hauling that you need higher bed sides for? It has tie-downs throughout the bed, rated at over 300lbs each. A somewhat shallow bed is not a real issue.
OMG. More preaching. And it is a huge pain in the a$$ at times. The shallow box has several limitations.

Small trunk - this is what makes me think your complaints are made up. I will tell you the trunk on the Ridgeline is 100% larger than it's competitors. Make that 1,000,000% if you prefer. It's huge, and again, video reviews... everyone loves getting in the trunk to show how large it is.
Just what Honda dealer do you work for? I cannot fit my golf clubs in it without it being nearly completely empty. Again he is comparing to the 1st Gen again (I think).. can't he raise a point in a forum?

If you're going to get another truck, it would have to be because you NEED to tow over 5,000 lbs. There's literally no other reason to get another truck other than "image" if you're not going to tow more than 5,000lbs (which 90% of truck owners never do.)
LOL

Don't say "off road", because trucks aren't built for serious off-roading anyway. I've had my truck (just this past weekend) on some dicey trails with large rocks and whoops while hauling my 3,000 pound trailer. I did not so much as scrape the truck on anything, and the AWD system clawed it's way impressively up every hill.
And dammit... I say that's good enough FOR YOU! TAKE YOUR SOUP, YOU GET NO FRUIT!!

The reasons to buy a Ridgeline absolutely dwarf any petty concerns to not get one.
Wipe your mouth now, you have a little bit of Honda dripping from it.

Listen, if you want the real answers instead of this b.s. just see the first sensible 6 posts.

#14 ·
^^^ You crack me up. You must be the old guy in the neighborhood yelling at kids to get off your lawn! Ha! That is, when you're not washing your precious ridgeline, carefully, by hand... (get a room!)

You should smile more, you'll live longer! Or maybe golf more! That is, if you can fight the tears, that is, as you try to cram your golf clubs in that trunk... :crying:

If this is the truck you chose because you thought you would like it the best... you sir, are sour grapes.

#15 ·
I get it - you live in the D.C. area. You're pissed about all the traffic.

But seriously, you're the biggest crybaby I've seen on this or any forum. And that's saying a lot!

#16 ·
Guys, I do really like all of your points and do really appreciate all of them. I just need probably some sort of hand before I will go to dealership and try some numbers.

Yes, before it came up I really didn't like it, anything was bad to me...I went and picked F150, tested and I saw this is not mine as well as ram and gmc. Then I drive g2 and I like almost everything...howeverI don't know why it seems to me it is short and small! I don't haul anything, I don't do care loads, I need bed just for fun/snow skiing etc..sometimes go and pick up some large stuff from home depot/lowes etc..nothing special. When I get to the rear seat somehow I feel not enough room, I am 5.10, so average guy.

I understood that there is no better vehicle besides the ridgeline to me, no doubt. For a week I read all of this forum. I think I need some push forward....

In regards of my "complains":
- door - even sometimes when I wanna fit some long stuff or bulky suitcase etc..I would prefer to have it more wide opened, not saying on G2..The CRV made 90degree open door, why not G2?!
- in-bed trunk - nothing to argue, G2 has smaller, actually even if do groceries it won't all fit down there. Donut for the spare again! But these are not the deal barker for sure.

I just wanna get all of these safety features we don't have on G1, this is the main point only! And of course, 10 y.o car so soon will begin giving you headaches...But I also see the point that 52K is just like brand new vehicle...

Hard to pull trigger on G2....

#20 · (Edited)
Guys, I do really like all of your points and do really appreciate all of them. I just need probably some sort of hand before I will go to dealership and try some numbers.
Here's my take on your situation, just to banter... not persuade.
Then I drive g2 and I like almost everything...howeverI don't know why it seems to me it is short and small!
Since it is smaller don't let it immediately be a negative. The truck is a little more nimble. Maybe this is more of an observation than a drawback... your other factors in your statement will help determine this.

I don't haul anything, I don't do care loads, I need bed just for fun/snow skiing etc..sometimes go and pick up some large stuff from home depot/lowes etc..nothing special.
Well then, the above "seems small" may not be a concern. Because if you rarely haul or carry things... your golden. For most large things, it still works. **The only negative here is if you want a bed cover and keep things in the truck. Then you get into a little more limitation. But I can't think of anything I cannot transport from home depot. My only last thing that I could not, is a pallet of landscape blocks. And this is only because no 1/4 or 1/2 ton pickup could. The pallets are 3000 lbs. But another guy on the forum did an over limit load of plywood. I tried to get gutsy and match it... but I only got up to 1200 lbs. The truck worked amazing well.

When I get to the rear seat somehow I feel not enough room, I am 5.10, so average guy.
Rear seat is just ok. But that of course should be measured by how often you need, as well. For trips around town, you'll be good. If you are doing long trips with adults, you would need to use some judgment.

even sometimes when I wanna fit some long stuff or bulky suitcase etc..I would prefer to have it more wide opened, not saying on G2..The CRV made 90degree open door, why not G2?!
Ain't gonna lie. I thought this was the funniest, complaint when I first got it. Then I tried to use it in a few scenarios. The space is pretty limited. But I wouldn't say limited for skiing and fun. More limited for folks who would like to put full size things in that back that would fit. From the brief description of your usage, I MIGHT say, you're good.

Donut for the spare again!
Yeah, part of life now days. No way around it. If it bothers you and you are taking long trips, you would want to carry a full size. Otherwise it is just a useable thing to help get you a few miles to a repair location. All vehicles are going this route. I do like the way Audi had a compact collapsed spare, that when inflated, it would pop into a full size. But Honda will never do that. In fact Honda's latest survey implies that they want to ditch it altogether.

I just wanna get all of these safety features we don't have on G1, this is the main point only!
There you go... I think you have qualified all of the things. So going back to your first point... not really a negative and may be a positive. Nimble, easier to park, turn, and get closer to the ones you love. :)

I would say... hmmm... give another test drive. Ask the dealer if you can have it for 2hrs (most will do that)... and make an errand. I think you will be pleased overall.

quick question: will the wheels from G1 fit onto g2 or not?
Yes, for the rims... and yes for the tires if they are spec the size of the G2's needs.

#17 ·
Like quite a few people on this forum, I've owned both generations of the Ridgeline. The only things that I can really say I liked better about the G1 was the layout up front with no center console, the slightly higher ground clearance for snow and the ability to lock the VTM 4. The G2 has just about identical leg room as the G1 and except for the 3 items I just listed, is superior in every other way IMO. You get a torque vectoring AWD system, dual stage dampers, a longer bed, LED headlights (on upper trims anyways), a quiter cabin, better acceleration, better fuel economy, more technology, etc...For me, the G2 is in almost every way, a significant improvement over what was already a great vehicle in the G1. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to pull the trigger on a G2, even if i still had my G1.

#18 ·
As far as the rear doors go, it hasn't been as much of a problem as I thought it might be, granted I've seldomly put large objects in the back. Definitely shouldn't be a deal breaker. It could be if the truck had several other shortcomings or if you used the truck often for certain tasks that required a wider door opening.

#24 ·
I didn't read the responses, but here's mine for what it cost you.

INSPECT IT CAREFULLY, EVEN AN INDEPENDENT CERTIFIED MECHANIC. ALL RIDGELINES ARE PRODUCED AT HMA AND THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST QUALITY ASSEMBLY PLANT IN ALL OF HONDA... BY FAR. IT'S A NIGHTMARE.

This no joke. That's why Acura has to get the MDX out of HMA NOW! They can't have an Acura product built by HMA (where the Pilot, Ridgeline and Odyssey are built). Major engine problems. A LONG list of screw ups. And generally low build quality.

BEWARE. And that's the TRUTH no matter what anyone else tells you. PERIOD.

#32 ·
ALL RIDGELINES ARE PRODUCED AT HMA AND THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST QUALITY ASSEMBLY PLANT IN ALL OF HONDA... BY FAR. IT'S A NIGHTMARE.
I'm new here and would love to know what happened. I went back and read some of Csimo's posts. He went from a proponent of Honda to their biggest critic almost overnight. One week he was coordinating a special tour of the manufacturing plant for Ridgeline owners, and the next it was cancelled and the venom was full blast.

It's a shame, because an impartial inside voice is invaluable to a group like this.

#28 ·
Sounds like its not just Honda. Read an interesting article today describing the disastrous state of the auto building industry in Alabama. Basically describes it as third world working conditions with long hours, low wages, penalties for not meeting quotas, accidents, etc., etc., etc. Only thing missing is child labor. Inside Alabama's auto jobs boom: Low wages, little training, crushed limbs

I'm always careful to look at the tags of where my clothes and shoes are made. It's a shame I have to take the same care when car shopping. Had I known things were as bad as this article describes, I don't know if it would have stopped me from buy my Honda, but I would certainly have let the dealer know I'm not in favor of such employment practices.

#37 ·
The vehicle itself isn't going to be any different for '18, but it is highly likely you will be able to get a better deal, and more selection, as inventory will likely be at a more ideal level in the upcoming model years.

The concerns you point out are accurate, but I don't see them as deal-breakers for anyone in this market. If those concerns are a big deal to you, you should be looking at a full size PU. Otherwise, you're not going to find anything better than what you already have.

Yes, the HMA QC is pretty bad (by Honda standards), but I wouldn't call that a deal-breaker either. That's what the warranty is for. I don't believe Honda would let them turn out dangerously defective vehicles, and I haven't seen any statistics to confirm that they have. Mostly annoying things that can be fixed under warranty. Also, that basic V6/6AT RL powertrain architecture has been around for quite awhile, in a lot of Honda/Acura products, with no statistical evidence of wide spread or major problems.

In the end, you have to make the best decision based on your situation, not based on all the "what if's" or "what could's".

#38 · (Edited)
IMHO this is the most interesting thread on the forum in a while.

My quick history: 2 Dodge Dakotas in a row, both used as daily drivers and as work vehicles. I retired about the time the GMC twins came out. Looked at them and the Taco. Honda announced the G2 Ridge last year so I looked at the Pilot at the Mpls auto show. Didn't care for the cab, parking brake intruded into the foot room. Purchased a '13 G1 RTL and wish I had done that years B4.

A few things that pop into my mind, saved $10000 + over a G2 on my G1 with 24M. Power rear window and sun/moon roof. Better cabin space and controls. Didn't have to pay for "avoidance warnings" or BED SPEAKERS!

As for bed depth, I can't say about the G2. I've always had fiberglass toppers on my PU's, but my G1 came with a tounnea cover installed and I like it. I find that I wish it had an 1" or more at the rear of the bed but now I'm nitpicking.

I've had a history of hanging on to my vehicles for a long time, but the G2 Ridge might change that.

#40 ·
Use all the resources you can when buying a new vehicle, brand history, publications, owner forums, on line reviews and then test drive finalists. I base my decisions on verifiable facts when possible and weigh any negative pontification from folks with obvoious axes to grind due to real or perceived injustices from Honda for what it is.
The G2 fills a unique niche with its value/content, sophistication and history of retained value earned from reliability.
Want to hedge your bets, get the extended warranty.
Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.

#46 ·
Use all the resources you can when buying a new vehicle, brand history, publications, owner forums, on line reviews and then test drive finalists. I base my decisions on verifiable facts when possible and weigh any negative pontification from folks with obvoious axes to grind due to real or perceived injustices from Honda for what it is.

The G2 fills a unique niche with its value/content, sophistication and history of retained value earned from reliability.

Want to hedge your bets, get the extended warranty.

Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.