Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Consumer Reports ratings of the Ridgeline and Tacoma

9K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  Earl E. Bird 
#1 ·
Consumer Reports rated the Ridgeline as the best compact truck; they also rated the Tacoma as the worst.

Read it here: https://goo.gl/3YMxJp

#2 ·
Someone posted this not very long ago. The OP also mentioned that the Tacoma owners' forums were, as he put it, "circling the wagons". I read some of the Tacoma forum comments about the CR article. They were none too pleased. The reactions varied from amazement, to rebuttal, to agreement.

#10 ·
Same for the backseat of the Chevy and GMC.

Reactions: NOVARIDGE
#11 ·
In this case, I certainly agree with Consumer Reports on both trucks.

I've watched posts on various boards over the years. No matter what is being evluated.....
I find it interesting that, when you agree, CR is fair, independent, and balanced.
When you disagree, they are biased, didn't look at the item thoroughly, and out of touch!

#13 ·
#14 ·
There's a lot of subjectivity when it comes to evaluating vehicles, of course. I was very close to getting a Tacoma, mostly due to my subjective draw to the truck. I love they way they look, and I've owned almost nothing but Toyotas for the past 20 years.

But subjectivity aside, there are so many objective advantages that drew me to the RL over anything else. Things that Honda has done with this truck that no other manufacturer has even attempted - and that "right-brained" part of me won out in the end.

Every day that I get in my RL and drive to work, I'm thrilled with the choice.

Still, if Honda wants to move more RL's, they don't have to make it more capable off road, but they definitely need to make it look the part. People want a truck that looks a bit tougher. It wouldn't hurt Honda to at least have an off-road themed trim package. Beefier tires with more offset, aluminum skid plates, etc.

More people are going to buy the Tacoma, regardless of rear drum brakes, antiquated tech, poor seating position, etc., just because it looks very cool and projects the off road image well.

#16 ·
I drove a limited Tacoma about 3-4 weeks ago and a RL RTL earlier this week. The RL is clearly the better choice for anyone who won't be doing off roading. The Tacoma is expensive, small, gets poor mileage and didn't have much power. Add in the terrible seats that have limited adjustability and the choice is clear. The Tacoma stickered for $42k and it felt like a low $30k truck to me.

I don't always agree with CR, but there's little doubt in my mind that the RL is a better choice for a majority of buyers. I will probably get one.

#17 ·
I considered the new Tacoma to replace my aging and worn out 2006 Tacoma.

However, it then occurred to me, why would I pay that much for a refresh of the same vehicle that I have now? Besides the engine and minor cosmetic appointments.

I would no doubt experience the same exact issues my old truck had, since it is the same truck. The second generation was NOT as good as the first generation Tacoma; I've had both.

I looked at a new Tacoma at a car show and I was mostly drooling over all of the parts that would fit my truck, savings. Lipstick on a pig is what I told my wife. About the truck that is.

Nonetheless, the Tacoma was a suitable truck while I was in my 20's, and as I enter my 40's, it made little sense over the Ridgeline.

Especially since it's the same truck.

#18 · (Edited)
I tried the new Tacoma and was very disappointed in it, as I was in the Colorado and both Nissans. My first criteria was back seat room. At 6-3 (not freakishly tall, mind you) I wanted to be able to sit comfortably in the rear seat while on road trips with my similarly sized friends. The only trucks that met this were the Ridgeline, F-150 Crew cab and the Tundra. I rented an F-150 for a week while on a trip and didn't like driving it as much as my then-current 2005 F-150. I test drove the Ridgeline and never even went to look at the Tundra after that. It drives better than any truck I've had in the past. Are there things I'd change? Sure, but wow. 5000 miles in and I couldn't be happier. I'm not surprised it won best compact truck.

#20 ·
Well, when I couldn't get a new Ridgeline to replace my aging 07, I went to the dark side. I bought a top of the line Taco and for the last two years have tried to like it. I really did! It was a manual 6 sp which I enjoyed but I could never get comfortable it. I ordered a new Touring on Friday and it will hopefully get here by next week for a quick 2 week, 5,000 km trip through WA, OR, NV, NM, CO and then home again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.