TFL Truck on IKE Gauntlet Towing 4840 lbs - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl
Re: TFL Truck on IKE Gauntlet Towing 4840 lbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

downhill grade logic and ability to hold a gear

Full disclosure I don't own a Ridgeline but I would really like to replace my Lexus GX with one. I am hoping that they add the following items to US Ridgelines that supposedly the Canadian vehicles have:
- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

But here is the real question - The Ridgeline when I looked at it does not appear to have an ability to pick a gear. No paddle shifters, no ability via the shifter, didn't see a sport mode, etc. I like the ability to hold a gear going downhill. How have individuals found the Ridgeline going downhill with a load? I am hoping the grade logic is aggressive. In our Audi's there is excellent grade logic (but these are cars and not towing) and depending on whether you are in sport or normal the aggressively of the system is different. The Lexus has the ability to pick any gear and for me the grade logic doesn't come into play much here.

I think this ability to control the vehicle on the downhill towing is especially important in those steep downhill mountain roads. Without the ability to hold a gear when there is a downhill and then a short level area the short level area will release the lower gear and then when entering the next downhill section there is at a minimum that short time period that the vehicle can seem like a roller coaster depending on the vehicle. Then it is all brakes until the vehicle helps with some engine braking but most of the time I have noticed the engine braking is not that aggressive.

To give a little more detail I am talking about forest service roads that can have greater descents and twisty characteristics with flats and steeps.

How would you feel pulling 5000 pounds downhill? Thanks for the IKE site, it is really informative.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Re: downhill grade logic and ability to hold a gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljodo View Post
I am hoping that they add the following items to US Ridgelines that supposedly the Canadian vehicles have:

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

But here is the real question - The Ridgeline when I looked at it does not appear to have an ability to pick a gear. No paddle shifters, no ability via the shifter, didn't see a sport mode, etc. I like the ability to hold a gear going downhill.
Don't look for those Canadian-exclusive features anytime soon. The US-spec Ridgeline RTL-E and Black Edition have reverse tilting mirrors. No Ridgeline has a locking tailgate.

The shifter has a D4 button which limits the transmission to 4th gear. It is used for engine braking. It also has an "L" position which limits the transmission to 2nd gear when accelerating from a stop. If you shift into "L" while the vehicle is moving faster than the maximum speed for the current gear, it will downshift to the lowest gear possible based on the speeds below. The "L" position is used for additional engine braking where D4 is insufficient.

Gear - Maximum Speed
1 - 39 MPH
2 - 62 MPH
3 - 88 MPH
4 - 112 MPH
5 - 112 MPH
6 - 112 MPH

The maximum speeds in gears 1-3 are RPM-limited. The maximum speeds in gears 4-6 are governor-limited.
McChizzle and TEK Rider like this.

Last edited by zroger73; 09-13-2016 at 12:30 PM.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Color: Billet Silver Metallic
Re: downhill grade logic and ability to hold a gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljodo View Post
How would you feel pulling 5000 pounds downhill? Thanks for the IKE site, it is really informative.
aljodo see downhill video...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ide-video.html

aljodo see Uphill Video....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...g-4440lbs.html

Last edited by rjsaenz; 09-13-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with Andre at TFL Truck and they will post the video on Thursday or Friday Sept 15th or 16th. I will post the link on this thread when it is available.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:43 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsaenz View Post
I spoke with Andre at TFL Truck and they will post the video on Thursday or Friday Sept 15th or 16th. I will post the link on this thread when it is available.
gah! can't wait that long, tell them to hurry. And you will post yours that day also?
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Here it is ..

Watch close at 1:40

Last edited by rjsaenz; 09-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

I still can't get over the engine running at WOT for extended periods and it not blowing up, but that's just my perspective from someone who has never towed anything larger than the smallest U-Haul trailer to move a sofa using a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Color: Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsaenz View Post

hahaha.... so funny people still cant get over whether RL is a truck or not... (what an old school thinking). Need to keep up with the time.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Garage

Great Job Robert...

Nice review from the guys at TFL Truck

2015 Fit LX, CVT, Alabaster Silver, Build Date, 12/14

2006 Ridgeline RTS, Steel Blue, Build Date 03/05

1996 Del Sol S, Grenada Black, Build Date 02/96
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode