Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2 - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Re: Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.
I agree with your comment about 'fanboys' complaining if CR rips their new ride; however, having owned the G3 Tacoma, it deserves every bit of the low score that it got..........
phineas, flyboy76, Blueboy and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Re: This will only add to re-sale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner67 View Post
Observations on Consumer Reports Video Road Test of the Ridgeline:
CR team really, really liked this truck.
They recorded a 7.3 0 – 60 time, others have seen 6.6.
20MPG overall (I'm hitting 25 and 26 after 700 miles).
They preferred the BSM over the “Lanewatch” feature.
One reviewer stated: “It rides better than many luxury SUVs.”
The differences in 0-60 times may be due to test conditions such as temperature, elevation, and fuel quality. The lowest I've seen in 6.6. The highest I've seen is in the upper 7-second range.

Their 20 MPG overall observation seems more real-world to me. Fuelly is reporting 21 MPG and I'm averaging 22 in mixed, real-world driving with a conservative foot. You may already be aware, but the trip computer seems to read almost 2 MPG too high.

Based on their initial review, they'll probably continue to remain smitten with the Ridgeline for some time unless reliability issues such as the connector issue become common.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage
Re: This will only add to re-sale value.

Mine surely rides better than my wife's Toyota Highlander and it rides good!

LowT

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Garage

I echo Doobiewah's comment. I traded my 2016 Tacoma.
OldShu likes this.

LowT
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Consumer Reports

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.
Rondo likes this.

1966 Corvair Convertible, 1967 VW Camper, 1976 VW Rabbit, 1981 Mazda RX 7, 1983 Mazda 626,
1986 Isuzu Trooper, 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, 1995 Toyota T100 SR 5, 2006 Highlander Hybrid, 2007 Tundra Crew Cab,
2010 Toyota Venza 4 cyl., 2015 Mazda CX 5 GT

2017 Silver RTL-E
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.
While you are obviously correct that post-purchase bias will keep new owners from having a completely objective viewpoint, I'm happy to wear the "badge of honor" for having CR's top pick as I feel that they are the least biassed of the reviewers and most accurately represent me as a consumer. I'm sure that Tacoma owners feel the same way about their TFL Truck reviews.
Rondo and phineas like this.

Last edited by MarshallM; 10-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Model: RTL
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

The last time I trusted CR for advise I bought a recommended model vacuum cleaner. It was JUNK ! And that was the last time I used that advise. I remember looking it over in the store thinking this thing looks like junk and at the time trusted their recommendation. It lasted just till the warranty period was over and then promptly died. What a joke.

Personally, I think their advise is biased based on the people in their testing group. And they have a very obvious Green bias on everything. Not that it's a bad thing but when you are biased then your reviews and CEO who expresses their opinioned bias in their new articles shows through on everything. Hence the bias label IMO. YMMV this is based IMO

Steve M
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:38 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2012
Color: White/Grey
Garage

Quote:
I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.
I've always consulted CR before buying a car. I don't always agree, but I do value their opinion.
Rondo, phineas, Doobiewah and 1 others like this.

Robert

2012 RTL/Navi
USA SPEC PA15-Hon2 iPod Adapter
Rear Splash Guards
Hertz D16 Dash Tweeters (used from ROC member)
JBL GT6-6 Speakers (4)
Dynamat added to doors
BedRug (floor and tailgate only)
BakFlip G2 (used from ROC member)
Weathertech Mats (front and rear)
DynoLock tailgate lock installed
Electric Pop&Lock replaced failed DynoLock
Figgs hood prop kit (NIB from ROC member)
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

About 4 years ago, I bought their highest-rated front-load washer and dryer. The dryer broke right after the one-year warranty period. I quickly bought an extended warranty. The warranty provider said parts were no longer available for that model. The manufacturer ended up refunding the dryer. I'm still using the "free" dryer, although the display no longer works. The washer sometimes refuses to recognize that the door is closed. It also sometimes runs long enough to dispense the detergent, drain, then prematurely end the cycle thereby wasting the detergent!

I usually find CR's vehicle ratings and reliability reports to be somewhat accurate, but their other product reviews are lacking. One problem is manufacturer fragmentation. One model of appliance might be the best ever while the model above or below or the preceding or replacement model might be totally different. As quickly as products change, by the time they've reviewed something it's often near the end of its life and has been replaced by a different model. There are also a LOT of holes in their product review lineups. Take televisions, for example... There may have tested 50 of them when there are 500 on the market and half of the 50 they tested have already been discontinued.

CR provides another data point and perspective, but little more. I used to be a long-time subscriber to CR, but found that I tend to do as well or better selecting a product on my own.
christianrance likes this.

Last edited by zroger73; 10-25-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Kurrekt speleeng
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater BE View Post
Just saw CR's review of the RL. It scored 75 on a 0-100 scale......
We have chosen wisely, it seems.
Rondo likes this.

"Those dogs are not cold" - visitor to our place...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode