Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2 - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Downward Spiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner67 View Post
I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports. .
“This is your last chance. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” Morpheus, The Matrix.

1966 Corvair Convertible, 1967 VW Camper, 1976 VW Rabbit, 1981 Mazda RX 7, 1983 Mazda 626,
1986 Isuzu Trooper, 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, 1995 Toyota T100 SR 5, 2006 Highlander Hybrid, 2007 Tundra Crew Cab,
2010 Toyota Venza 4 cyl., 2015 Mazda CX 5 GT

2017 Silver RTL-E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:50 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Re: Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem5215 View Post
The last time I trusted CR for advise I bought a recommended model vacuum cleaner. It was JUNK ! And that was the last time I used that advise. I remember looking it over in the store thinking this thing looks like junk and at the time trusted their recommendation. It lasted just till the warranty period was over and then promptly died. What a joke.

Personally, I think their advise is biased based on the people in their testing group. And they have a very obvious Green bias on everything. Not that it's a bad thing but when you are biased then your reviews and CEO who expresses their opinioned bias in their new articles shows through on everything. Hence the bias label IMO. YMMV this is based IMO

Steve M
I stopped listening to CR a long time ago. A lot of their comparisons are so superficial and ignorant it's ridiculous.

Just because they claim not to be biased doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They've always struggled to rate trucks because they don't know how trucks are used in the real world. I remember an SUV comparison they did where the top rated SUV was the least practical. Essentially defeating the point of buying an SUV. But since it was the most "car-like" it ended up tops. I saw rollover safety was mentioned here...well Consumer Reports rigged their rollover test for the Samurai to gain publicity, doing great harm to Suzuki in the process.

I'm not dissing the Ridgeline here, it's a fine truck, just a reality check. And a chance to vent about a publication I've come to despise due to my previous faith in it.

Like someone said earlier, find out for yourself what you like.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Over 20 years leaning on the red dots has saved me so much money I can't even start to calculate it.
Steered us wrong on a small freezer two years back but luckily it was under warranty.
And mebbe' a couple more purchases over the years didn't work out.

So to those of you who haven't discovered Consumer Reports; do not be deterred by those who diss this excellent source of information, try to claim it's somehow biased, and then proudly proclaim they ditched their subscriptions and do not consult CR before a new (or used) vehicle purchase.
geoNH and 10kster like this.

1966 Corvair Convertible, 1967 VW Camper, 1976 VW Rabbit, 1981 Mazda RX 7, 1983 Mazda 626,
1986 Isuzu Trooper, 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, 1995 Toyota T100 SR 5, 2006 Highlander Hybrid, 2007 Tundra Crew Cab,

2017 Silver RTL-E

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater BE View Post
Just saw CR's review of the RL. It scored 75 on a 0-100 scale, 18 points better than the 2d place Colorado & 34 higher than the Taco. It also topped all of the full-size trucks. For me it's another data point that is right in line with most of the other RL reviews I've read and confirms my personal experience. For me the RL is the best truck available that meets my needs & wants in a truck - and I love my BE more every day.

I knew it, we all have a good taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rondo likes this.

Previous owner of 2007 RTL. Owner of RTL Black Edition.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Model: RTS
Cool Re: Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.
'' ... everyone here would complain ...." Everyone? Really? That's an awful lot of generalising....

Many in this forum who own G2s appreciate hearing both the pros & the cons. I know I do. Further, I think CRs reviews are less biased than others because they buy their own test vehicles, and are not beholding to the manufacturers.

Finally, many find that reading various competing reviews can be helpful to folks looking to buy
Lifesaver1 and Ridgerunner67 like this.

We may have all gotten here on different ships, but, we're all in the same boat now.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:33 PM

Model: RTL
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

I've also subscribed for the past 20 years and have benefited tremendously. CR has the best reputation for any circulation/website reviews and advice out there; especially automobiles. Just remember Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization and to quote them "For 80 years, we have provided evidence-based product testing and ratings, rigorous research, hard-hitting investigative journalism, public education, and steadfast policy action on behalf of consumers’ interests." For the G2 to get a very positive review is not only fair, but well deserved.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl
Garage

I've been a CR subscriber since 1983. I wouldn't buy a new car without consulting it, but I have always taken their opinions with a grain of salt. They covered computers in the 80s and 90s — something I've had expertise in for a long time — and their conclusions were almost laughable at times. They like to set themselves up as experts but they are actually dilettantes. The publication is best when it sticks to its test data. Unfortunately they have gotten further and further away from what the testing scientists would like to put in the publication and are now celebrating form over function. Bottom line: I have a love-hate relationship with Consumer Reports. I value the fact that they do independent testing. I value the fact that they've taken on an advocacy role on safety and other aspects in the interest of the consumer. But they do have clear biases on things, and worse, they make many faulty assumptions. I would never rely entirely on their material to make a purchase decision. A part of my purchase decisions are my own gut and personal feel about the product at hand. I think a lot of us can just tell when a product is quality. I try never to ignore that feeling either way no matter what CR and others say.

But let's not forget, they sure got this one right about the Ridgeline!
Rondo, DSERVIT and 10kster like this.

Posted with speech-recognition software. Please forgive dictation errors.
62 Corvair, several 62-64 VW Bugs, 68 Dodge Coronet wagon, 67 Mustang ragtop, 67 Belair, 78 Honda Civic, 71 Karmann Ghia, 67 Chevy van, 76 Rabbit, 87 Nissan truck, 89 Accord SE-i, 91 Nissan Pathfinder, 93 Ford Probe, 95 Nissan Maxima, 97 T100, 01 Chevy Suburban, 04 Tundra, two 07 Highlander Hybrids, 06 & 13 Tacomas, 17 Ridgeline RTL-E

Last edited by phineas; 10-25-2016 at 11:57 PM.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Don't be afraid to trust Consumer Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kster View Post
I've also subscribed for the past 20 years and have benefited tremendously. CR has the best reputation for any circulation/website reviews and advice out there; especially automobiles. Just remember Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization and to quote them "For 80 years, we have provided evidence-based product testing and ratings, rigorous research, hard-hitting investigative journalism, public education, and steadfast policy action on behalf of consumers’ interests." For the G2 to get a very positive review is not only fair, but well deserved.
I am sure there are way more people who think like us about CR.

This is at least the third time I have seen a debate on Consumer Reports credibility originate from a forum post about a CR review of a certain vehicle.
I say its a rabbit hole because some will never accept that CR is an excellent source for solid information on cars, trucks, and SUVs.

The discussion always evolves into some “incident”-sharing, CR bashing, and claims of bias for the Consumers' Union.
The post about the “damage” CR did to Suzuki is nonsense, IMO.
Just getting the awareness of how top-heavy and dangerous many SUVs were is worth any difficulties Suzuki, who is a bit player in US market, may have experienced.

Those who are proud that they have “moved on” from CR are headed in the wrong direction, IMO.
Rondo likes this.

2017 Silver RTL-E
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:46 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Color: Forest Mist Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.
Let me start by saying that I have made my own judgement, which I've posted here, and it is in concurrence with Consumer Reports rating. However, I would disagree about disregarding these ratings and comparisons. Consumer Reports is different from all the other reviewers in several ways. First, it is objective and unbiased, accepting no advertising that might skew ratings. Second, unlike the typical car reviewer who drives it and reports back on the obvious stuff, Consumer Reports checks issues like safety, build, etc. It's a much more thorough process. Third, CR ratings are used by people in determining the value of trade-ins and CR annually checks with owners to find out how many problems there have been with a vehicle (or not).

For these and many other reasons, the CR review stands out from the others.
Rondo, phineas and Ridgerunner67 like this.

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM

Model: RTL
Color: Obsidian Blue Pearl

CR is just another data point among many along with consumer reviews, road tests, the myriad of YouTube Automotive Review Wannabes, etc. After a while there's a consensus and trend - we're trending in the right direction with the RL.......
Rondo, jimlyon1 and Outfitter2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode