Does Motor Trend Know what they are talking about? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:41 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: BLACK
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage
Thumbs up Re: Does Motor Trend Know what they are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cym View Post
Just saw this today and they said the Tacoma is faster than the Ridgeline ? First report that I have seen that puts the Ridgeline below the Tacoma.

2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD First Test: The Trucklet, Revised - Motor Trend
I can personally testify that the Tacoma is NOT faster 0-60 than the RL. I just sold my 2016 4X4 TRD Sport V6 and it was a slug compared to the RL. The Colorado is also faster 0-60 than the Tacoma.

LowT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:54 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-E
Color: Modern Steel Metalic
Re: Does Motor Trend Know what they are talking about?

I don't think the RL is too large, but it is certainly the largest vehicle I've owned.

All Honda vehicles have grown over the years. My first car was a four door mint green (with avocado green interior) 1980 Honda Accord (quite used at the time). It was much smaller than even the civic today.

Not my pic, but same car and color:

2016 Honda Civic:

Pete
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:29 PM

I've been researching the Ridgeline and Tacoma for some time now and this article seems a bit off.

For one thing they knock the Ridgeline for the high price... but the Tacoma Limited, which compares with the RTL-E (or even T) still tops out at just over 40K. And about the only thing you get with the Limited (aside from better off-road & towing performance) is a Qi charger. The RTL-E offers more in every other area for about 2K more. And, if you compare a TRD Sport to the RTL-T things even out from a price standpoint.

For example:

2017 TRD Sport DCSB - Auto/4x4/Premium Tech Pkg (no JBL) / Tow Pkg = $38655 MSRP
2017 RTL-T AWD = $38630 MSRP

The TRD Sport wins with: BSM, Sliding Rear Window (now powered), Qi Charging, Moonroof (and the option to go with JBL for more $)
The RTL-T wins with: Leather interior, Power Seats, LaneWatch, CARPLAY, Remote Start (and a host of other things)

I consider the RTL-T to be superior in all ways to the TRD Sport with the exception of off-road, towing and unfortunately, looks....for the same MSRP.

Additionally, EVERY review I've seen shows the RL to be quicker on the 0-60. The guys at TFLTruck even raced them and the RL beat the Tacoma by about a second. I know that this isn't scientific... but here's the link if you haven't seen it.

Also, as mentioned above. Every single automobile sold in the US has gotten (is that a word) bigger over the past 20 years. Why knock the RL for it.
NOVARIDGE likes this.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray

Their comments about price were in reference to full size pickups. Notice they mentions incentives. Full size trucks, nicely appointed, can be had for 40k so the upper trims of the Ridgeline are indeed overpriced.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Buy what you like and don't look back. The Honda clearly targets a different buyer than the Tacoma or the Colorado. For those considering an E or BE, take what it's missing in hauling and offroading and then add in heated seats, Carplay, adaptive cruise control, lane keep, autonomous braking, in-bed trunk, speakers in bed, electronic sliding read window, ride on rough pavement and a MUCH more usable cab and it's easy to justify for one who doesnt care as much about towing or offroading.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Interesting differences in 0-60 times by different folks - CR says 7.33 for the RL and 8.23 for the Taco. The difference between C&D and CR is could be at least partially due to road surface & maybe CR takes a bit of a real-world approach to their test versus outright fastest time possible. Of course my BE does it in 6.5. Doesn't everyone's?
MJWayne likes this.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:09 PM

Color: Forest Mist Metallic
Garage

It depends on the buyer. I want a vehicle that my wife will also want to drive. I want a Pilot, but we have only one kiddo, so with 3 in the family, the Pilot makes little sense. The bed that I can put lumber, plants, tools, bikes, skis into makes a crapload more sense for me than more carpeted and seated interior that I will never need. If it is a Pilot with a bed and stiffer suspension, well, that is what I actually want.
stantaur likes this.

2017 RTL-E Forest Mist / Grey [Delivered 12/3/2016] - roof rails / lighted side step / body molding / mud flaps / all weather mats / towing pkg / wheel locks
also: Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau / Llumar ceramic window tint / Opticoat Pro nano coating

Generally into EVs - Last 3 vehicles have been Tesla Model S (current car), Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf. Wife has 2004 Saab 9-5 wagon (looking to replace).
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

How many sources of data do we have for the 0-60? If just C&D and this article, it's just as possible that C&D got it wrong as it is that this article did.

Pete
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:54 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
How many sources of data do we have for the 0-60? If just C&D and this article, it's just as possible that C&D got it wrong as it is that this article did.

Pete
Motor Trend says RL 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, Taco in 7.1 so there are differences everywhere you look. But in the end, regardless of how fast it may be, the RL is an extremely comfortable and very versatile truck that I very much enjoy driving. Then when I feel the need for speed or to cruise on the back roads for a while I put the top down on my Miata.
Psychlist1972 likes this.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Color: White Diamond Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmosheen View Post
Car and Driver shows 6.6 seconds for 0-60.... I have seen other reviews that claims 0-60 in 6.5... the RL definitely feels quicker than a Tacoma.
Having owned both, I can confirm that it is...not sure who was driving that RL; however, there is no comparison, unless maybe they were revving an M/T Tacoma and punching it off the line at a high RPM, which is the ONLY place the Tacoma has any get up and go...
murderlicious and stantaur like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode