post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2006
Color: Other
Re: Another G2 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
...2.) If the spare tire is such a problem, put it in the bed, or ... have a spare, "spare" tire that you keep in the garage, and can occasionally toss in the bed for mulch hauling, etc...
Exactly! Easy-peazy, but I guess even simple solutions are too hard for some people to figure out. The reviewer suggests that owners will tire of having to do this "every time" they're hauling stuff and then be caught unprepared for a flat. But I think if you fill your bed with mulch, gravel or lumber that often, you should probably just mount a fullsize spare in the bed and be done with it.
FTM1, NOVARIDGE and Max57 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:48 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: TOURING
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl

While I do agree a spare tire in the trunk if fully loaded with mulch or something similar could be a pita, the probability of this type of scenario on a Ridgeline is like getting hit by lighting. It could be much worse such as having your beer in the trunk and no access, OMG!. I do not see anybody mentioning how the typical under mounted spare becomes useless as it is corroded in place after a few harsh winters where salt is used on the roads. I really prefer the Honda design by far. As for loading mulch or soil or anything similar, much easier to unload and more practical using a trailer for this task or at least this is what I have always done.

As for the head unit, yes it took me a few weeks before it became second nature however I really like it now. You simply cannot get in and use it like an old fashion radio, there is a learning curve which none of the reviewers ever get to go through as they only have the truck for a couple of days at best. I must say it is fast in comparison to many others I have used. I hate navigation lockout and know how frustrating this can be as my wife's car does this however on the Ridgeline I do have an advantage since the Canadian model allows navigation programming/changes while under way.
Max57 likes this.

Cheers, Hans
Montreal, Canada
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:44 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-E
Color: Forest Mist Metallic
Post Re: Another G2 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
I must say it is fast in comparison to many others I have used. I hate navigation lockout and know how frustrating this can be as my wife's car does this however on the Ridgeline I do have an advantage since the Canadian model allows navigation programming/changes while under way.
There's an after market unit that can be installed in-line with the harness that connects to the back of the head unit which allows you to operate the navigation while under-way. I know I have it saved some where as I intend to install it in my RL.
Midnightsun likes this.

~~~~~Lost in the 50's~~~~~
---------------------------------------
~~~~Rock-n-Roll 4 Ever~~~~

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Color: Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOnBoard View Post
Exactly! Easy-peazy, but I guess even simple solutions are too hard for some people to figure out. The reviewer suggests that owners will tire of having to do this "every time" they're hauling stuff and then be caught unprepared for a flat. But I think if you fill your bed with mulch, gravel or lumber that often, you should probably just mount a fullsize spare in the bed and be done with it.
Doesn't the spare, in the trunk, well isn't it on a sliding tray? My home depot is about 2 miles from the house so I wouldn't even bother with it. But let's say you are going to be driving an extended time with a full load in the bed. I'd just pull the spare, jack, and tools, and either put them in some part of the bed, or raise one or both rear seats and throw them in the truck "just in case."
It's really not that big of a deal. There are pros/cons to every design. Personally I'd rather my spare tire be in a trunk, secured from the elements compared to mounting one under the bed getting sprayed with all sorts of sheet 24/7. And keep in mind that journalists' jobs are to nitpick, and be an absolute critic, as they should. If they alert the consumer/buyer to +'s and -'s, all of them, then they are doing their job. People take reviews way too personally when it comes to items they have purchased. I'm more interested if it handles like sheet, drives like sheet, stops like sheet, and accelerates like sheet. Way more important than a spare. You should see a few cars I've looked at purchasing recently (Ford Focus RS, VW Mk7 Golf R), you don't even get a got damn spare, not even a donut. You get a can of fix a flat which can really F up your wheel. I'll take a spare, included with the vehicle purchase, anyway I can get it, mounted anywhere I can get to. Those 2 cars I referenced, the Golf R, you can spend about $400 buying a spare, jack, tools, carpet/foam, and make a near OEM solution. That car, in Europe, comes with a spare tire, in the USA it doesn't. On the Focus RS, the AWD system, specifically the GKN shafts and AWD unit (called a RDU, located between the rear axle or half shafts) takes up all the room so you have no place to put a spare, no mounting location. You'd have to buy one and carry it around in the hatch. So we should be glad Honda gives a donut, many mfr's are doing away with them to save $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
There's an after market unit that can be installed in-line with the harness that connects to the back of the head unit which allows you to operate the navigation while under-way. I know I have it saved some where as I intend to install it in my RL.
You can do this with about any aftermarket Nav Unit. Just ground the mf'er. Some of them will even let you play DVD's while driving. Not anything I would suggest, but on a road trip, and the wife, or kids, wants to watch something, you can do it. Way more options aftermarket, just initial install is a PITA. Luckily a member here has already done and provided us with the blueprints. Just destroy them when complete or they'll self destruct
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL-T
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

Quote:
My issue with the flat with a load is that I dont think the spare would be up to spec for carrying what is hindering you from getting the spare. I guess thats why the fullsize trucks always have the full size underneath.

2017 2WD RLT-T Modern Steel Metallic
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko52 View Post
My issue with the flat with a load is that I dont think the spare would be up to spec for carrying what is hindering you from getting the spare. I guess thats why the fullsize trucks always have the full size underneath.
A Honda rep, i think in an early TFL video from the San Antonio event, said the spare would handle the payload requirements of a loaded Ridgeline.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Model: *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Color: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboat View Post
A Honda rep, i think in an early TFL video from the San Antonio event, said the spare would handle the payload requirements of a loaded Ridgeline.
Yep, I remember that. I think it was actually the Ridgeline LPL (Kerry McClure) defending the RL's limited-service spare when Roman was needling him that real trucks have real spare tires. We've kinda beat this horse to death in other threads, but I'll repeat my point that I wouldn't want to be caught with a heavy load or on a rough back road in a situation where I needed to run that donut spare for many miles before I could replace it with a full service tire. The OEM spare is almost a full inch smaller in diameter than stock tires and Honda says not to exceed 50 mph with it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:48 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2014
Color: White/Grey

Quote:
Yep, I remember that. I think it was actually the Ridgeline LPL (Kerry McClure) defending the RL's limited-service spare when Roman was needling him that real trucks have real spare tires. We've kinda beat this horse to death in other threads, but I'll repeat my point that I wouldn't want to be caught with a heavy load or on a rough back road in a situation where I needed to run that donut spare for many miles before I could replace it with a full service tire. The OEM spare is almost a full inch smaller in diameter than stock tires and Honda says not to exceed 50 mph with it.
I had a new '07 Tundra DC 4x4 the had a smaller size spare from Toyota.
I bitched about it to Toyota corporate to no avail.
After cutting off locks that I lubed so many times,or seeing spare tire
cradles swinging empty on the truck in front of me.
Once mine was stolen even locked!
I'd rather have a clean spare in the trunk.

I have(HAD) an '07 Tundra
Why am I checking up on Ridgelines?
'Cuz I bought a DCP RTL 6/29/10
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Model: RTL-T
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
While I do agree a spare tire in the trunk if fully loaded with mulch or something similar could be a pita, the probability of this type of scenario on a Ridgeline is like getting hit by lighting. It could be much worse such as having your beer in the trunk and no access, OMG!. I do not see anybody mentioning how the typical under mounted spare becomes useless as it is corroded in place after a few harsh winters where salt is used on the roads. I really prefer the Honda design by far. As for loading mulch or soil or anything similar, much easier to unload and more practical using a trailer for this task or at least this is what I have always done.

As for the head unit, yes it took me a few weeks before it became second nature however I really like it now. You simply cannot get in and use it like an old fashion radio, there is a learning curve which none of the reviewers ever get to go through as they only have the truck for a couple of days at best. I must say it is fast in comparison to many others I have used. I hate navigation lockout and know how frustrating this can be as my wife's car does this however on the Ridgeline I do have an advantage since the Canadian model allows navigation programming/changes while under way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
OOOOOOOR.... you could just use your Google Maps function and disregard the OEM nav feature. The voice recognition is AMAZINGLY accurate and much faster, as it accesses Google and not the pre-loaded database...in other words, it's ACCURATE and up to date. :-)

2017 RTL-T (Crystal Black)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Model: RTL-E
Color: White/Black
Garage

Car and Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode