CR recommends the Ridgeline - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Midwest
Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Posts: 26
CR recommends the Ridgeline

Consumer Reports ranked the 2017 Ridgeline the highest midsize pickup and gave it their 'Recommended' rating.

On the other end, the Tacoma was last in the ratings. They produced this short video of vehicles to avoid.
They highlight the poor reliability, stiff ride, clumsy handling, loud, and only average owner satisfaction.

The Tacomaworld forum is circling the wagons over this. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...eports.481086/

After driving the same F150 for years, I really, really wanted to like the Tacoma. I knew I wanted to downsize, and it was almost a no-brainer to get the Toyota. But then I drove one.
camp10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl
Posts: 1,171
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp10 View Post

The Tacomaworld forum is circling the wagons over this. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...eports.481086/
I hate how fans blindly follow and defend the defenseless. Why fight when something when it is a proven fact? They are loud, slow, rough riding and not dependable. It is not a child. If it was your kid, I can understand...sure they are loud and rough and not dependable, but hey, they are MY KIDS!
See what I mean?
chrisnack, LadharK and 2017BE like this.

Formerly known as 100MPG
Viair 88P compressor
Shear Comfort seat covers
PIAA 400hz/500hz 115db Sports Horn
KOYA Extreme 18W 5.5'' Cree LED Flood light back up light.
Husky Liners Front Floor Liners
Husky Liners 2nd Seat Floor Liner
Bull Bar
WTB BE wheels
3.25.17
Shineaholic is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM
ROC Rank: Junior
 
14v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Capital District, NY
Model: RTS
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Posts: 432
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

I use CR as a data point because they tend to complain about stuff that doesn't matter to me. Can't take them too seriously. For example when the 2015 CRV came out they said that the handling was worse than the previoius generation. I own both and yes, CR is correct but IMO not enough of a difference to have a "gripe."

Everyone was waiting for the new Taco to come out and when it did the only thing that I remember was a review in one of the magazines saying that Toyota wasn't fooling anyone because the new truck was similar to the old one. Reliability data is helpful but right now all the products are within a year or two from inception so I wouldn't place too much stock in predicted reliability. Remember, it's the small pickup class CR is commenting on so who is there to compare to, the RL and Colorado? Is there even enough data for the RL yet since so few have been produced?

Remember that the E and BE are the ones that are liked by the reviewers because of the combined safety rating with the LED headlights. So for all of us lesser trim owners it's nice to think that we have the greatest but we don't.

It seems like quality continues to slip across manufacturers so today there are no guarantees even with Honda. Yesterday, I passed by the local Honda dealer and noticed many used F-150's. I looked it up and they had 15. What's up with that? By the way, this dealer has 25 RL's inventory seems to have stabilized.
14v6 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl
Posts: 1,171
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
... Yesterday, I passed by the local Honda dealer and noticed many used F-150's. I looked it up and they had 15. What's up with that? By the way, this dealer has 25 RL's inventory seems to have stabilized.
they traded them in to get the new G2!
2017BE likes this.

Formerly known as 100MPG
Viair 88P compressor
Shear Comfort seat covers
PIAA 400hz/500hz 115db Sports Horn
KOYA Extreme 18W 5.5'' Cree LED Flood light back up light.
Husky Liners Front Floor Liners
Husky Liners 2nd Seat Floor Liner
Bull Bar
WTB BE wheels
3.25.17
Shineaholic is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Marietta, GA
Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: Modern Steel Metalic
Posts: 8
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

I used to have a 2013 Taco TRD Sport as my daily commuter & hobby hauler. I turned it in a bit more than a year ago when the lease was up. Just to be sure, I test drove the 2016 immediately before settling on the 2017 RL. For my particular set of missions, it wasn't even close. Driving the Taco convinced me the RL was a no-brainer.

What the Taco has going for it is (or at least was) a very high residual. I.e., cheap leases. And dedicated enthusiasts, which is fine too. And it's well adapted for true off-roading. But for those of us on pavement 99.x percent of the time who need to take the occasional conference call in traffic, it is RL all the way.

And I freaking love that trunk. Not just for grocery getting, but also a secure place to stash my laptop bag if I need to run an errand before or after work.
2017BE likes this.
sjw985 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
ROC Rank: Junior
 
Tidewater BE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: VA
Model: BLACK
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Posts: 291
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
I use CR as a data point because they tend to complain about stuff that doesn't matter to me. Can't take them too seriously. For example when the 2015 CRV came out they said that the handling was worse than the previoius generation. I own both and yes, CR is correct but IMO not enough of a difference to have a "gripe."

Everyone was waiting for the new Taco to come out and when it did the only thing that I remember was a review in one of the magazines saying that Toyota wasn't fooling anyone because the new truck was similar to the old one. Reliability data is helpful but right now all the products are within a year or two from inception so I wouldn't place too much stock in predicted reliability. Remember, it's the small pickup class CR is commenting on so who is there to compare to, the RL and Colorado? Is there even enough data for the RL yet since so few have been produced?

Remember that the E and BE are the ones that are liked by the reviewers because of the combined safety rating with the LED headlights. So for all of us lesser trim owners it's nice to think that we have the greatest but we don't.

It seems like quality continues to slip across manufacturers so today there are no guarantees even with Honda. Yesterday, I passed by the local Honda dealer and noticed many used F-150's. I looked it up and they had 15. What's up with that? By the way, this dealer has 25 RL's inventory seems to have stabilized.
I use all reviews - no matter the source - only as data points. CR, the car & truck magazines, etc. all look at things from a particular viewpoint. The car magazines tend towards the enthusiast point of view that doesn't fit everybody else's needs. In the end only one review matters to me - mine after the research & test drives are done.
Shineaholic likes this.
Tidewater BE is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 55
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Tacomas are great for off-roading. They suck at most everything else.

I appreciate them for what they are, but I have no interest in one.
bisonp is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 67
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Any CR review needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like reviews from any other source. In my opinion CR is most useful if you are looking for a reliable and relatively cheap used car. Their new vehicle reviews and ratings are just "ok".
jschwanke84 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM
ROC Rank: Junior
 
SK17touring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Model: TOURING
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Posts: 365
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
Tacomas are great for off-roading. They suck at most everything else.

I appreciate them for what they are, but I have no interest in one.
When I first started think about my next truck, in about 2009, I always contemplated it would be a Tacoma since I was only interested in the small(er) truck market, would never buy the Nissan and was unsure of the GM 5 cylinder engines. In 2011 I walked into the Toyota dealership ready to buy, but the salesman I ran into was such a dick I decided to check out what Honda had up the road. I'm glad I did. The Ridgeline wasn't even on my radar prior to that.
2017BE likes this.
SK17touring is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 51
Re: CR recommends the Ridgeline

It was the dealer that killed my deal for the Taco. Salesman outright sucked! Tried to sell me a truck for $1500 more than it was listed for on THEIR site! And I had bought(Taco) from them before. Tom
TommyG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda service recommends using only genuine Honda coolant and trans fluid punch 1G Problems & Issues 10 01-13-2009 07:58 AM
Mobil website recommends Fram filter for Ridgeline ridged 1G Under The Hood / Performance 42 08-02-2006 09:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome