Honda’s Most Important Vehicle: A New Honda Ridgeline - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2011
Color: Bali Blue Pearl
Re: Honda’s Most Important Vehicle: A New Honda Ridgeline

I remember the bear commercial.

aka Ron
U.S. Army (retired) , ASE Certified: Master automotive, Master Med/Heavy truck, Master School bus

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal, scratch and dents in the tailgate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

[QUOTE=sr8474;648031]Here are a few more Ridgeline commercials

I think the bear ad works because the guys in the truck are in the Ridgeline's demographic sweet spot: weekend warriors, smart, and the "say, that looked like my fish" voice at the end was still polite.

The silver goddess ad is just awful—it's aimed at the guys who are watching a football climax () and yet manages to reinforce the idea that it's a cartoon truck. No one wants to be Yosemite Sam. He's so recognizable as a two-dimensional nemesis, backward thinking and hot-tempered, that even guys who fit that description don't want to be tagged with that label.

Not to mention the millions of WOMEN who also watch the Superbowl, and are getting the message, "This is a truck you'd like, but we think you'd be more comfortable if you were naked and sitting in the passenger seat."

I think the "Meets" ads all had at least a workable theme ("this is a new category of vehicle"), but they all aim toward focusing the viewer on "I don't fit anywhere, and if I drive this truck everyone will know it." Dropping the Ridgeline in at the end of each scenario with a unique marketing message was designed to catch the viewer while s/he was still trying to resolve the mismatch between the two images and implant that message.

Overall I think American Honda just is at a loss on how to market the Ridgeline; combined with the corporate politics that has been mentioned in other threads, the result is a product starved for marketing support.

--
Matt, Connecticut
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl

[quote=bikerbudmatt;648164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr8474 View Post

Overall I think American Honda just is at a loss on how to market the Ridgeline; combined with the corporate politics that has been mentioned in other threads, the result is a product starved for marketing support.
Well said!!

Honda missed the boat when we were having well attended National and Regional Ridgeline meets back in the TMac days. Many commercial opportunities missed at these meets!!

25 Year Honda Owner
“The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with." Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club

Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray

IMHO, the "Bear" commercial is the only one I have seen that even comes close to showing the capability and functionality of the RL. Those other "meets" commercials, while good for a chuckle or two, just shows the truck from the outside, and that's it. No shots of the trunk, the fold up seats, the power rear window, (available) Navigation, XM radio, etc., etc.

Again, IMHO, Honda has hired some of the biggest dolts in the history of the advertising industry to advertise their truck. Seems to me, for how little they advertise the RL, you'd think they'd want effective advertising...some advertising that shows what the truck can do...not some dumb-ass sh!t like lumberjacks floating through space, that probably has a lot of people scratching their heads and going, "OK, WTF was that commercial all about...?"

Golf and Sex - Two things you don't have to be good at to enjoy.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Fogs w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New 05/14), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New 05/13), RTX/Accessory Grill, Raybestos Professional Grade Rotors/Akebono pads (New 06/15), and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I don't think any Honda ads really show the great features about any model. They gloss over all of them, even the bread & butter Civics & Accords. But those get a lot more exposure in ads, like every night on TV.

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5 (out of 5)
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Just saw my first ever Ridgeline TV Commercial two days ago. It actually highlighted most all the features from trunk to fold-up back seats, 4WD, etc. Strictly Ridgeline - no other Honda products mentioned or shown. It had a tag line from one of the local Tulsa Honda dealers, but looks like it was probably a corporate production. Wonder if that's any indication that we'll start seeing more press given to RL?
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by frapha View Post
Just saw my first ever Ridgeline TV Commercial two days ago. It actually highlighted most all the features from trunk to fold-up back seats, 4WD, etc. Strictly Ridgeline - no other Honda products mentioned or shown. It had a tag line from one of the local Tulsa Honda dealers, but looks like it was probably a corporate production. Wonder if that's any indication that we'll start seeing more press given to RL?
Well, maybe in Tulsa.

--
Matt, Connecticut
2010 Ridgeline RTL, BakFlip G2 cover, USA Spec iPod interface, Lund AVS Vent Visors from Burtman Industries, Lund AVS Hood Deflector from Tonneau Covers World and how to install, plated arch folding ramps from AllRamps, and a ROC Decal (white) (here)

Are you paying the dealer beaucoup $$'s to change your cabin air filter? Check out this all-time great thread!

post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frapha View Post
Yes, I saw it, and it is a most welcome improvement. Unfortunately, it is very short leaving it less than memorable compared with some earlier ones, like the Girzzly.

Honda North, ClovisCA Sales 4 Service 3.5 (out of 5)
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Model: SPORT
Model Year: 2012
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Honda has had a few missteps in recent years, most notably the civic redesign that really too it on the chin in the automotive press. Something Honda didn't need in light of the increasing Hyundai competition. However, it seems Honda was able to make it through that mass with a fair amount of Civic sales despite missing out on more. With the recent blow Hyundai & it's sister company Kia just took on the report they misrepresented MPG ratings for several years, Honda (and the other competition) has a chance to throw a punch of it's own with a refreshed Civic and other models. Some models just really don't need much of a redo, and I think the Ridgeline is one of them. As stated by others, it just needs better support and and marketing. Much like Ford's Ranger that had a run from 1983 to 2011 in N.A. with mostly exterior design tweaks over the years.

I'd also like to see Honda bring back a model like the Prelude or CR-X. The CR-V while a great looker, missed the performance boat.

-2012 Ridgeline Sport Crystal Black Metallic
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Model: SPORT
Model Year: 2013
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

I don't know what's going to happen with the ridgeline. I mean, they've only sold about 8000-10k units this entire year! I think ford sells about 84K a month! I absolutely love my ridgeline! I think, in order to get hard core "truckers" on board they are going to need to increase HP and torque as well as install a 4wd-lo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode