Honda’s Most Important Vehicle: A New Honda Ridgeline - Page 5 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Re: Honda’s Most Important Vehicle: A New Honda Ridgeline

I'm sure it has and will last quite a while if you did do the bare minimum. The truth of the matter is that we are a VERY small portion of the total RL owners. I wouldn't doubt for a second that at least 25% of the RL out there are neglected and are only given an oil change when the car says to.

It is the same with most cars, that the better care you take of the RL, the better it will care for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model Year: 2014
Color: White/Grey

For the life of me why invite trouble?
You say you do a lot of driving.
I for one NEVER want an on the road break down! Or a preventable repair.
If you never flush your brake fluid you save a few bucks against a new Master cylinder.If you never flush your p/s fluid your rack might have a seal leak.Run your rear diff until it won't turn the rear wheels.
I did mine at 18k and the code has not come up again @38k.
Clean fluids are the life blood of a machine.
What have you saved maybe a couple hundred dollars over 200k?
I have never looked at so called maintenance cost like that and never will.
This RL is the easiet truck to do fluid changes I have ever had.

I have(HAD) an '07 Tundra
Why am I checking up on Ridgelines?
'Cuz I bought a DCP RTL 6/29/10
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model Year: 2008
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
For the life of me why invite trouble?
You say you do a lot of driving.
I for one NEVER want an on the road break down! Or a preventable repair.
If you never flush your brake fluid you save a few bucks against a new Master cylinder.If you never flush your p/s fluid your rack might have a seal leak.Run your rear diff until it won't turn the rear wheels.
I did mine at 18k and the code has not come up again @38k.
Clean fluids are the life blood of a machine.
What have you saved maybe a couple hundred dollars over 200k?
I have never looked at so called maintenance cost like that and never will.
This RL is the easiet truck to do fluid changes I have ever had.
Im not trying to tell anyone not to complete the services. I just think if Honda could have a more extended service schedule, it would be more appealing to buyers.

Over the years, I have tended to drive a lot of miles. (probably 80K a year) For 10 years, I commuted 120 miles a day. With my commute, and personal driving, plus the approximately 40K miles a year I drive at work, my wifes vehicle, my play vehicles like the Mustang, Jeep, and 3/4 ton truck...I would have to be servicing a vehicle nearly every weekend if I stuck to the recommendations.

Last edited by Bethard728; 12-18-2012 at 07:50 AM.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model Year: 2008
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
Although the costs does add up over time, my feeling is the hassle is more of a problem. Im not putting the Ridge down, I love mine. I just think it would appeal to more people if the maint was lower. And like it or not...the world is becomig a use it and toss it place.

And maybe all of the maint is not necesary. I have scanned a few GM truck forums, and people there tend to talk about how to stretch maintenance out longer. I have tried to ask on this forum what happens if the vehicles are not serviced regulary, but noone seems to know. I think this because everyone takes pride in servicing and keeping their Ridges in good shape. (which is an excellent problem to have). Some mentioned VTM failure, but they never mentioned the mileage of failure.

If I had the guts to do it, I would like to just drive the Ridge and do nothing more than change the oil. That is how I have always treated my GM trucks and they have never let me down. I know numerous people with over 200K on 5.3 gm trucks that have never touched them other than motor oil & air filter. But, everything I read and everyone on ROC seems confident that the Ridge will die an earlier death if not serviced regulary. I cant take that risk. We need some really rich people that are willing to "Take one for the team" and abuse the crap out of the Ridge and never change fluids so we can see how they hold up. My gut tells me it will hold up...
I think I might have to hang my head here....and take a beating with a switch. My words are not tasting very good right now........My wife just texted me this pic of her Yukon. Update: tree limb some how got on top of transfer case and pulled wire loom into drive shaft, wore through wire and blew fuse.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bethard728; 12-18-2012 at 06:35 PM.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model Year: 2009
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Question Re: Honda’s Most Important Vehicle: A New Honda Ridgeline

This may be a little off subject however; I personally believe that there is a correlation between keeping a car clean and keeping the scheduled maintenance up to date and visually checking those items (lights, belts, tire pressure, and fluids), that the average automobile owner can do themselves. I have owned 2 Ridgelines since 07 and when I drive to and from work, I see more Ridges now than back then. But what surprises me is the amount of people that neglect their Ridges (dirty) or other vehicles for that matter. So,,, do people that care about there Ridgeline's appearance care equally for scheduled maintenance? I do.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Model Year: 2014
Color: White/Grey

Me I would rather rotate the tires and crawl under the truck than
wash and wax it.

I have(HAD) an '07 Tundra
Why am I checking up on Ridgelines?
'Cuz I bought a DCP RTL 6/29/10
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2006
Color: White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Me I would rather rotate the tires and crawl under the truck than
wash and wax it.
Yeah, that's me. Mine's white so it hides the dirt a little but you won't find a much more maintained one (well, speedlever maybe) underneath. I'll buff it once a year but you'll see dirt on it before you find a fluid that's old.

Don't judge that book by it's cover.

OEM- Hitch, Brush Guard, Fog Lights, Wood Dash, Side Mouldings, Fender Flares/Splash Guards, Roof Rack, Hard Tonneau and 2013 RTL wheels. Non OEM- Fat Bob's Lift, 265/60/18 LTX MS 2's, front tint, LED's, Figs props, Pioneer Avic x930 bt, 400w amp, Bazooka sub, Backup camera, Fog Light mod.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

I had my Ridgeline for seven and a half years and did all my own maintenance - it never saw the inside of a service shop. Of course, all I had to do was change oil, filters, fluids and rotate tires because I only had 52,000 miles when I sold it back in September.

I bought a 2012 MB ML350 SUV so I know exactly what all my maintenance costs will be for the next four years right down to the penny - $769. That is because I bought a discounted, pre-paid service agreement that covers all maintenance items and labor good at any MB dealership in the nation and is set in price, ie, inflation proof. As I said, I always did my own maintenance on my Ridgeline but I'm not going to do anything with the Benz for fear of putting the four year bumper to bumper warranty in jeopardy. I heard MB can be very tough on warranty claims where there is no dealer service records but very accommodating and hassle-free where there are service records. Besides, the special Euro synthetic oil (0W40) and fleece filters (which can only be bought at the dealership) are so expensive that doing it yourself is not that cost effective to begin with.

The question of maintenance items and service intervals, at least for those who do not want or can not perform their own service, can be resolved if Honda would offer a pre-paid service agreement for various time frames similar to the Mercedes plans. You can adjust the plan you want based on the length of time you intend to keep the vehicle. Seems like a good idea if you don't want to work on the vehicle yourself.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpup10 View Post
This may be a little off subject however; I personally believe that there is a correlation between keeping a car clean and keeping the scheduled maintenance up to date and visually checking those items (lights, belts, tire pressure, and fluids), that the average automobile owner can do themselves. I have owned 2 Ridgelines since 07 and when I drive to and from work, I see more Ridges now than back then. But what surprises me is the amount of people that neglect their Ridges (dirty) or other vehicles for that matter. So,,, do people that care about there Ridgeline's appearance care equally for scheduled maintenance? I do.
A car is a functional item in my book. Same for anything else. Garden tractor etc. Keep the Mechanicals extremely well looked after and it will last a long time.
A wash and wax could never do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode