LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
Garage
8 inch Touch Screen Easy to Use?

How many find the TS easy/hard to use? I had dreaded the worst after reading how Consumer Reports harps on it so much. Boy, are they wrong. Must be another one they are thinking about and just parroting the same old speech. Not only is it ease to use with adjustable touch settings (2) it is well integrated and well laid out. Also the Garmin Nav. is something I'm familiar with so no learning curve there. I have found that with the Garmin it pays to search with my phone and then enter the resulting address. Saves a lot of grief. Compared with our 2013 Honda Accord V6 EXL it is a joy to use.

So chime in and keep me straight on this. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:04 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL-E
Color: White / Beige
Re: 8 inch Touch Screen Easy to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
How many find the TS easy/hard to use? I had dreaded the worst after reading how Consumer Reports harps on it so much. Boy, are they wrong. Must be another one they are thinking about and just parroting the same old speech. Not only is it ease to use with adjustable touch settings (2) it is well integrated and well laid out. Also the Garmin Nav. is something I'm familiar with so no learning curve there. I have found that with the Garmin it pays to search with my phone and then enter the resulting address. Saves a lot of grief. Compared with our 2013 Honda Accord V6 EXL it is a joy to use.

So chime in and keep me straight on this. Am I wrong?
From my experience you're not wrong......I, too, am familiar with the nav system and the touch screen itself works fine for me.

It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average....

Last edited by ST1300Rider; 07-15-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Color: Other
Garage

I agree with you that it is easy to use and pretty intuitive. I haven't played with the navigation too much so I can't comment on that, but overall I am satisfied and really enjoy all the settings it lets you customize.

I'm learning when it comes to professional auto reviews you need to take some stuff with a grain of salt. They always find something that is better in something else. It's all relative. For example, a reviewer claiming the handling on a Corvette ZR1 isn't as good as a Ferrari. They can pick out even the smallest difference because they are seeing the best the world has to offer fairly frequently. For an average person, or even a dedicated fan, they may never be comparing to the best out there because most people can't afford $100k+ cars. And even if they did they may not be able to notice a difference! I recognize that touchscreens and handling are very different and its easier to find differences between various touchscreen/interface options, but the concept still applies.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadasaurus View Post
I agree with you that it is easy to use and pretty intuitive. I haven't played with the navigation too much so I can't comment on that, but overall I am satisfied and really enjoy all the settings it lets you customize.

I'm learning when it comes to professional auto reviews you need to take some stuff with a grain of salt. They always find something that is better in something else. It's all relative. For example, a reviewer claiming the handling on a Corvette ZR1 isn't as good as a Ferrari. They can pick out even the smallest difference because they are seeing the best the world has to offer fairly frequently. For an average person, or even a dedicated fan, they may never be comparing to the best out there because most people can't afford $100k+ cars. And even if they did they may not be able to notice a difference! I recognize that touchscreens and handling are very different and its easier to find differences between various touchscreen/interface options, but the concept still applies.
Consumer Reports has been doing this for years Ad Nauseam.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:36 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

I think my Jeep was more intuitive but I wouldn't say this is hard.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM

Model: BLACK
Color: Formal Black

This is my first experience with Garmin and the Honda touch screen. I was worried it would be complicated after reading the reviews but have found it to be easy to use and fairly intuitive. My experience level with technology is good, but certainly not great. My only complaint is that the touchscreen is a fingerprint monster. Whatever coating is on that holds fingerprints like nothing else!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:12 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger519 View Post
My only complaint is that the touchscreen is a fingerprint monster. Whatever coating is on that holds fingerprints like nothing else!
THIS... I haven't had any issues with the screen, but its a daily wipedown with the microfiber cloth.... I wanted to get the screen protector, but the reviews on that are less than great...
Lifesaver1 likes this.

-----
2016-Current 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T
2003-2016 03 Element DX- Modded to SC
2000-2003 98 Prelude
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ13 View Post
THIS... I haven't had any issues with the screen, but its a daily wipedown with the microfiber cloth.... I wanted to get the screen protector, but the reviews on that are less than great...
Honda did supply a cloth! Probably not a problem only Honda/you have.
2017BE likes this.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Model: *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2008
Color: Steel Blue Metallic

Has anyone tried using RainX or this Sprayway Industrial Plastic Cleaner i heard years ago before the screen protector was so popular people used RainX to battle fingerprints.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

Agreed! Very easy to use. OTOH, I have a buddy for whom touch screens in general do not work well, not sure why. Maybe the CR reviewer was one of those guys.
Blueboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode