Adding ventilated seats to the USDM Ridgeline - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: BLACK
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Adding ventilated seats to the USDM Ridgeline

I have been working up a parts list and info on how to add ventilated seats to the USDM Ridgeline. Looks like this is difficult but possible.

Grand total for the parts needed to do just the drivers seat is $396. This is also assuming the cushions do not need to be swapped. There is a different part number for the ventilated cushion however the heat/ventilator pad installs above the cushion. I am guessing the cushion has a cut out for the blower that might be able to be hacked. If not add another $196. The old heater pad would be able to be resold, so some money could be recouping some cash.

The following part numbers are from the 2016 Pilot Elite which may or may not work. Canadian Ridgeline part numbers are not available yet.

10 - 81217-TG7-A51 TCI, FR. SEAT-BACK $60.98
11 - 81219-TG7-A51 TCI, TAIL (UPPER) $58.91
23 - 81618-TG7-A51 TCI, L. FR. SEAT CUSHION $66.12

6 - 81216-TZ5-A61 BLOWER, FR. SEAT-BACK $61.18
17 - 81601-TZ5-A61 BLOWER, L. FR. CUSHION $83.52
47 - 81161-TG7-A51 COVER, BLOWER $27.90

15 - 35650-TG7-A51 SWITCH ASSY., L. HEATED SEAT &FAN SEAT $38.32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Re: Adding ventilated seats to the USDM Ridgeline

Getting it wired up is the big PITA. I can see the diagrams on the Honda express site but I am guessing that reposting all of that here would be a copyright issue. So here is a description:

The switch is momentary and sends a signal to the climate control unit only. From there the climate control talks to the ventilated seat control unit under the seat which controls the blowers. The blowers are PWM (pulse width modulated).

So there ZERO possibility of just hooking up 12v and getting it to work. I can see four possible fixes.

1. Buy all the parts and hook everything up and see what happens. Maybe even though the USDM climate control was never meant to control ventilated seats the logic was not removed from it's programming.
2. Buy all the parts AND the Canadian climate control and ventilator control unit. This option should definitely work but would balloon the price up to $1000 or more.
3. Use an arduino to provide PWM control for the blowers. This option is much more feasible. A single blower could be purchased and used for testing bringing down the initial cost and risk. PWM isn't rocket science but is something I have not worked with before.
4. Use an alternate blower that works on 12v. This option could also bring down the cost.

If someone has access to a 2016 Pilot Elite and could use a oscilloscope on one of the blowers that would give the community all the info we need to get this going!

Last edited by Davidss; 09-30-2016 at 11:00 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:21 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

I applaud your serious efforts!

Figure out what's needed for the seats and FOR THE REAR WINDOW and develop kits with all the parts and an install video and you could probably sell a bunch to the early adopters here!

Hopefully Honda will come to their senses before too long . . .

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Model: RTL-E
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

I have a '13 Explorer Limited with ventilated seats. It's gets pretty hot and humid in NC in the summer and we still only use this feature maybe 10 times a year. If the car has been sitting in the sun it's nice to cool the seats quickly. However, after a few minutes it will feel like we are sitting in a puddle of water. Cool, damp, yuck.

I guess what I'm saying is that this feature is fine if comes with a vehicle, but I would never go to the trouble of adding it after market. Especially this much trouble. But that's just me...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
Getting it wired up is the big PITA. I can see the diagrams on the Honda express site but I am guessing that reposting all of that here would be a copyright issue. So here is a description:

The switch is momentary and sends a signal to the climate control unit only. From there the climate control talks to the ventilated seat control unit under the seat which controls the blowers. The blowers are PWM (pulse width modulated).

So there ZERO possibility of just hooking up 12v and getting it to work. I can see four possible fixes.

1. Buy all the parts and hook everything up and see what happens. Maybe even though the USDM climate control was never meant to control ventilated seats the logic was not removed from it's programming.
2. Buy all the parts AND the Canadian climate control and ventilator control unit. This option should definitely work but would balloon the price up to $1000 or more.
3. Use an arduino to provide PWM control for the blowers. This option is much more feasible. A single blower could be purchased and used for testing bringing down the initial cost and risk. PWM isn't rocket science but is something I have not worked with before.
4. Use an alternate blower that works on 12v. This option could also bring down the cost.

If someone has access to a 2016 Pilot Elite and could use a oscilloscope on one of the blowers that would give the community all the info we need to get this going!
Couldn't the pilot elite climate control and ventilator be used?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 PM

Model: RTL-E
Color: Formal Black
Garage

If someone figures this out, I would definitely install it in mine

San Diego livin' in full effect.

Currently own: 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 1986 BMW K75, 1976 BMW 2002.

Have owned: 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1991 Volvo 240 wagon, 1991 Jeep Cherokee, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 2007 Honda Fit Sport, 2009 MazdaSpeed 3 GT, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1981 Yamaha XJ750.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 05:28 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2007
Color: Steel Blue / Gray

step 1: buy us ridge line
step 2: by ca ridgeline
step 3: switch cluster and vin #'s

ta-dah.. ventilated seats, plus foldy mirrors!

alternative: move to canada! especially with this election.....
Carsmak and PhatDaddy like this.

"You might be a redneck if you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are: Gentlemen, start your engines" - Jeff Foxworthy

What? they're not?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

We have the cooled seats in my wife's Ford Edge. They have been rather underwhelming here in Texas. I'd sure suggest that you find one to try before you make a major investment in the modification.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Garage

I'd second the idea of testing a ventilated seat, from Honda, maybe the PILOT Elite or Touring, or an Acura MDX. My dad's Lexus LS 460 has them, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed, using them for the better part of a week in August this year. I had always wanted them, but I would have to try any out before spending extra to get them, or buying the parts to install them. YMMV

2015 Fit LX, CVT, Alabaster Silver, Build Date, 12/14

2006 Ridgeline RTS, Steel Blue, Build Date 03/05

1996 Del Sol S, Grenada Black, Build Date 02/96
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:39 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Garage
I don't know. I would just leave it alone i wouldent even attemp to do that. They will probably come out with that in a few years for the USDM model RL. That, and i hope side mirror turn signals on models RTL-T and above. Its a brand new truck, i would just let it be IMO. However, if you do do that I applaud you because then i will be jealous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Accessories, Performance Parts & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode