6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Acoustic windshield owners step inside

I've been reading the forum and seeing many posts about these newer acoustic windshields chipping easier than normal auto glass.
Must be the way it's made. I have a friend who is in the clearbra business (clearbra, vinyl wraps, tinting, all that stuff) and talked to him today. I knew he had heat rejection film. This is clear film that goes on the inside of the windshield so you don't have to use the window shades. They apply it on the inside of the vehicle a lot because owners with $$$ (Ferrari, Porsche) don't want to bother with window shades when they park in the sun. They got money to burn but it is a convenience and protection against UV's. I'd like to have it so I don't have to buy those damn window shades or carrying the fold em up thing around.

But my point in posting the thread....if I were you, I'd shop some local clearbra installers and tell them you want the windshield protection film. It goes on the outside of the windshield. It's crystal clear so it's like clearbra for the windshield. Once it goes on you'll never know it. I know from having clearbra on multiple vehicles in the past it saved my paint from dings, chips, etc. When I had my S2000 I had a truck carrying sharp landscape rocks (very small rocks) hauling a$$ down the interstate about 5 car lengths ahead when a couple rocks flew, hit my front bumper, etc. I was pissed. I thought for sure I'd need a new bumper or at least paint, but no. My clearbra guy cut a section off the bumper where the impact hit and there was no damage. Clearbra saved it. He then cut and applied a new piece of film in its' place and you couldn't even tell I got hit by rocks.

So if you have invested in a RTL or above, do yourself a favor, save yourself from having windshield replacement. Source a local person for this work. You'll want someone, a shop, that does clearbra work. If you are in DFW I can hook you up and send you to my friend. This isn't a solicitation for business as I have no stake in the business whatsoever. Just trying to save some of y'all of the headache of having that pricey acoustic windshield glass replaced, requiring a deductible or out of pocket expense. If I buy the truck, I'm driving directly to my friend's shop and having it done, along with clearbra on the entire front end. To me, if I have invested in the truck, a little bit of extra $ to protect that pricey front glass is warranted. Just wanted y'all to know a product exists on the market to protect yourself from the hassle. My go fast cars always get cleabra, and all my sportbikes have the entire front coated in the film. It's worth it to me, maybe not to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: TOURING
Model Year: 2017
Color: Modern Steel Metalic
Re: Acoustic windshield owners step inside

How does that stuff stand up to winter and an ice scraper every day?

I have had four G1s and they went through a windshield a year. The G2 I have has 2 chips in it already but it's not cracking yet.

Just about anyone out here has a few big chips and a crack over the winter due to the size of the gravel the contractors lay on the highways when it snows. They are supposed to sieve it and not put out big chunks but since they bill by volume if they can sneak out with bigger rocks it'll cost them less at the expense of drivers.

This spring the major insurance carrier in the province is going to no charge chip repairs if you have coverage with them due to the number of windshields they have to replace every year because of stone damage. If you catch it when it's a small chip you can fill it and then it will be fine (at least fine until the next stone).
BrandoRex likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Model: RTL-T
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

Yeah, I should've done that when I got the front end installed. There are a few minor minor chips on the right side of my windshield. I may still get it done...just wasn't sure if it was worth it.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
How does that stuff stand up to winter and an ice scraper every day?
That I do not know but I'd bet it's cheaper to replace the film every year compared to a windshield!
Carsmak likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
That I do not know but I'd bet it's cheaper to replace the film every year compared to a windshield!
You may not have experienced this. Up here you need to aggressively scrape ice off your windshield every morning before you drive. If it's a stormy day you'll have to do it again later.

So unless the film can't survive that it wouldn't last. It would be fine in the summer but there's way less debris on the road then so it's not an issue then.
BrandoRex likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:38 PM

Model: RTS
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Garage

IMHO, it would be worth talking to someone who does that stuff locally, they both understand the weather your discussing (Danke) and the product that (TommyDeVito) is suggesting.

You've got a Touring model, Remote Start that bad boy and let it self defrost, or is that not allowed where your at, I know of states it's illegal to have Remote Start, although recently they are discussing allowing OEM Remote Start, just not aftermarket. (Looking at you MD) Using a remote car starter in Maryland is illegal

2015 Fit LX, CVT, Alabaster Silver, Build Date, 12/14

2006 Ridgeline RTS, Steel Blue, Build Date 03/05

1996 Del Sol S, Grenada Black, Build Date 02/96
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage

The application sounds fine if you lived in a warmer climates...these things are scratch "resistant"...NOT scratch proof !!

It would NOT be up to the task of ice scraping...remote start only helps speed up the process...but up here in the north...you get thick sheet of ice on the WHOLE truck often on some mornings... you'll be sitting there for hours if you only relied on the blowers !

With that said... For the warm climate folks...there are various thickness of those film...as for windshield applications...you would wants the less thick ones...ya just want the film to "cushioned" the impacts of smaller chips..at the same time, not affect clarity of visions ( thicker film DO somewhat lessen the TRUE clarity of glass !...might seems invisible...but it ISN'T !)
.:Reflex likes this.

Last edited by UnicornKaz; 02-16-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
You may not have experienced this. Up here you need to aggressively scrape ice off your windshield every morning before you drive. If it's a stormy day you'll have to do it again later.

So unless the film can't survive that it wouldn't last. It would be fine in the summer but there's way less debris on the road then so it's not an issue then.
Understood. My vehicles go in a garage at night and at work I park in a garage. I didn't say it was a solution for everyone, everywhere. I merely brought it up because it may be a solution for some people. Helpful suggestions are just that. I was merely trying to help save, some people, some aggravation.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Hopefully some Northerly folks will give this a test and report in this thread.

I'm sure it would be popular around here with the number of dings we get in the glass if it's tough enough.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 AM

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage

On further thoughts... NOT HAPPENING !

Even in warmer climates..imagine getting a splash of dirty elements ( sand, mud, dust..etc. )... over times...ya think ya not gonna drag the wipers to wash those debris ??...again... they are nothing less then those "wet applications" for phone/tablets screen protectors ( invisibleshield, zag, skinomi...etc.)...with scratch "resistance"...not "scratch proof" ! ( There are various thickness when you shop around for paint protection applications.)

ever wondered why you don't hear this being applied to the windshield??..especially on the outside ??...sounds great on paper..but NOT in reality.

1/ gets smears with tiny scratches in short amount of time.
2/ WILL affects vision ( blurs, glares from tiny scratches )
3/ sure... multiple applications -->> costs

And those cost are at from your pockets...why not just claim through insurance ??... wouldn't the deductibles out weight the cost of multiple applications ?

Just make sure you demand OEM parts through claims...if you don't get that... time to shop around for insurance...There's plenty of business that wants your money..YOU are in control as a consumer !

Last edited by UnicornKaz; 02-17-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Accessories, Performance Parts & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode