Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Cold Feet Question?

6K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Ruhi 
#1 ·
Why does my heater blow everywhere else except the floor when I have the the mode switch in the "Floor Only" position. Turning the mode switch from the "Windshield/Floor" position to the "Floor Only" position does not increase the airflow to the floor as I would expect. Shutting the side vents should not be a solution but is the only one the dealer could come up with.
Spotter

#2 ·
As I told you on the phone, my feet don't feel warm in the truck either. I don't recall ever putting it on foot only, but I have split it (dash and foot?). However, the cab gets toasty very fast. I wish my Jeep had a heater like this truck.

Thanks for giving me a call today so that we could exchange phone and email information with you. BIGGUY will be calling you back when he gets home from work with his observations and ideas. We hope to meet up with you again soon.

#3 ·
I have the same problem. Once it gets cold outside I like most people wear a coat, so I do not need it blowing on my chest. The service manual says that the air on "foot only" will come out the vents like this; out the two outside vents and the two floor vents if I remember correctly. I get a weak trickle even when I turn the outside vent off. In the "floor only" position my thinking would be that most of the air would go to the floor, unfortunately most goes to the outside vents and then to the passenger side. First auto that I have ever had "trouble" with the heater.

#4 ·
You might try cleaning the cabin filter. I read somewhere in the post that shows the cabin filter replacement process that this cleaning had helped increase perceived airflow.

Good Luck! :)

#5 ·
Something's definitely wrong. When I have it on windshield/feet, the bottom barely blows any air out. My feet start to get warm only when I put it on feet only.

#6 ·
This is interesting... we are in our first cold snap this winter and I noticed the same thing. I have ~6 mo. and 7k on it. I'll have a service done sometime in Feb. and will discuss with the service department. If anyone speaks with them in advance I'd love to hear the feedback.

T

#8 ·
After reading these posts, I tried out my feet-only setting the other night -- and had the same problem -- there's a very little bit of heat coming out near my feet, but more still comes out through the side and middle vents, despite the feet-only setting. Weird.

#10 ·
TMF said:
This is interesting... we are in our first cold snap this winter and I noticed the same thing. I have ~6 mo. and 7k on it. I'll have a service done sometime in Feb. and will discuss with the service department. If anyone speaks with them in advance I'd love to hear the feedback.

T
Updated observation... when only on the floor setting it appears to push out the side vents, the floor vents (which are close to the center of the console), and the windshield vents... for some reason my feet feel cold, but I don't know why. Maybe it's because of how much heat is made in general? I've never had a vehicle that heated this quickly.

FYI... don't test these things while driving down the road like I tried... :(

#11 ·
My Ridgeline heats up fast and clears the windshield of fog quickly but I also noticed that my feet were cold even after I push the "feet only" button. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bug me at all any more.:)

#12 ·
MontanaFred said:
My Ridgeline heats up fast and clears the windshield of fog quickly but I also noticed that my feet were cold even after I push the "feet only" button. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bug me at all any more.:)
Said the man from Montana... and it does get kind of cold up there, huh? I feel like such a wimp!

I doesn't bother me either I just find it curious.

#13 ·
We are into our first real cold snap here in NJ,and I have just discovered this problem first hand !!! Not Happy with THAT !!! :mad: Brrrrrrr !!!(at 5:40 AM)..................... and that only makes me madder,when I think about how my dealership,SCREWED me out of the"free" remote starter !!! :mad: :mad: !!!

#14 ·
Interesting--I noticed that when I split the windshield/floor, the floor doesn't warm up, and both outside dash vents blow, along with the windshield--I close the vents manually, and that helps with the airflow to the windshield, but the floor still doesn't heat up well--I also have found that the only way to get warm air into the rear seat for the kids is to have the airflow set to dashboard only, if split to dash and feet, they get virtually no warm air in the back until the cabin has completely warmed up.

#16 ·
I usually keep the setting on defrost/floor selection....
Feet normally don't get cold but...

It seemed the other day when I had it on AUTO only more warm air pumped to the floor...

Illusion?? I don't know... maybe someone with the cold feet can give it a try and report back...

:)

#17 ·
TMF said:
Said the man from Montana... and it does get kind of cold up there, huh? I feel like such a wimp!
Yes it does get cold here. They are forcasting wind chill of forty below zero F tonight. Although the actual temperature will only get about ten below the wind will be up to 20 mph. :eek:

#18 ·
MontanaFred said:
Yes it does get cold here. They are forcasting wind chill of forty below zero F tonight. Although the actual temperature will only get about ten below the wind will be up to 20 mph. :eek:
OUCH!

FYI... I've seen you post several times about how you like the big door grips because of how they help in the wind. I live at the top of a ridge on one side of a narrow valley... constant breeze, but when it gets windy (which is frequently) it rips. The handles really do make it easy to control the way the door opens in the wind.

#19 ·
TMF said:
OUCH!

FYI... I've seen you post several times about how you like the big door grips because of how they help in the wind. I live at the top of a ridge on one side of a narrow valley... constant breeze, but when it gets windy (which is frequently) it rips. The handles really do make it easy to control the way the door opens in the wind.
Wind can be a challange ... to ones patience. The handles also work well with gloves on. I just checked the Weather Channel and they are saying it will be -29 below zero F here tonight. :confused: It is hard to believe - I think the coldest it has been since I bought my Ridgeline is 24 below zero. Good thing I have an engine block heater!

#20 ·
MontanaFred said:
Wind can be a challange ... to ones patience. The handles also work well with gloves on. I just checked the Weather Channel and they are saying it will be -29 below zero F here tonight. :confused: It is hard to believe - I think the coldest it has been since I bought my Ridgeline is 24 below zero. Good thing I have an engine block heater!
Does the inside of the cab get warm at all in that kind of cold?

#21 ·
Did a test. In subzero weather, took boots and socks off while taking the wife to work and tried to feel the amount of heat with the blower on full speed and high heat setting and Floor Only selection. There was alot less airflow directed 'anywhere' in general than any other selection. The little air flow that did exist as heat seemed to be concentrated more to the brake pedal than the accelerator and also higher up towards the shin than at the feet. Just my observation. I think Honda should have designed the blower for more air flow and directed lower towards the feet. That's my opinion anyway.

#22 ·
TMF said:
Does the inside of the cab get warm at all in that kind of cold?
It takes longer for the engine heat meter needle to move but it does and the cab eventually gets warm. You have to scrap all the ice off your windshield because if it is cold enough the windshield never gets warm enough to melt ice - especially if you are moving.

The forcast for -29 was wrong as I thought. It only got about 5 below.

#23 ·
We've had unusually cold weather in the Denver-metro area since Christmas, and I've definitely noticed this. I think the 2 side vents are always active no matter which mode you choose unless you close them. When closed, the air output SHOULD increase according to the mode.

When set to x + floor, the output is very weak from the floor vents. When set to floor only with the side vents closed, the output seems acceptable, but (as stated previously) is directed more towards my shins or the "center" of the foot area. If the air was directed towards the pedal or "front" area, I think it would actually work as needed.

Seems like poor floor-airflow engineering.

Also, I agree that the AUTO setting doesn't provide adequate heating to the back seat. I use dash + floor and the whole truck (except my feet) seems to warm-up very quickly.

#24 ·
Also, I agree that the AUTO setting doesn't provide adequate heating to the back seat.
AUTO definitely diverts air flow to the defroster all the time. This steals from the floor and side dash vents. I definitely don't think Honda designed this truck for a very cold or very hot climate. it does however work fine for average cold and hot like where I live. I have lived in South Florida and went to college on the Canadian border so I do have some reference points to remember not to fondly.

#26 ·
Has Honda come up with a fix for the cold feet problem? Maybe something to direct the warm air to the floor instead of to your knees and chest.
Does anybody know of any solution.
My old feet get pretty cold and I would like to keep them warm when I am driving my Ridgeline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.