Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

horrible paint on 2012 RTL

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  pilsburidoboy 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2012 RTL in black... anyone else here notice how off the black is from the sheetmetal parts of the truck to the bumper color black... rubber bumpers are so much blacker in the bright sunlight... terrible looking... I have seen also the color difference on white trucks where the bumper is not as white as the body pain... honda should improve the color matching systems

#3 ·
The Accords are like that too. My wife has the pearl white and it's a huge difference. I was told it was plastic and metal and that was why. Didn't bother the wife so it was cool with me.

Some girl on her phone bumped into the Accord at a red light and the shop painted it and now it matches the car. I complained and Allstate painted the front too. Now it all matches. :cheerleader:

#4 ·
no sorry dont have any pictures.... I will try to take some when its clean and in the daylight.... its like the truck is black brown compared to the jet black rubber bumpers... its a brand new truck, so I know its factory... I had a 1984 corvette with the same issue.. it bothered my so much I had the entire car repainted.. but that was back in 1984.. now in 2013 you would think car manufacturers would mix the paint better to match.. metal and rubber should all be the same...

#9 ·
Not only are the paints for metal and plastic surfaces different, and sprayed at different times/locations, but for several years, most manufacturers paint the final color coat as thin as possible, which saves them piles of money over time. Metallic paints are especially expensive. Unfortunately, car buyers are frequently left with paint jobs on new cars which are less than desireable. Some are actually terrible.

About the only option a buyer has is to look over the paint job thoroughly, in bright sunlight, before signing any paperwork. If you find a poor paint job, walk away from that car and find another. Do NOT let the dealer/salesman convince you that they will fix the paint. Who wants a new car that had to be repainted?

#12 ·
This is quite normal.
Unfortunately.

The metalics for what ever reason lay different on the metal surface than they do on the plastic surfaces.

I have seen it a thousand times. I have seen painters use the exact same paint from the exact same gun, applying the paint seconds apart and still having some differences.

Pretty annoying really.

#14 ·
im 80% sure that this is just the way it is

there is a reason why ridgeline offered 3 black in different years

we first had the formal black (06-07) then we had the nighthawk black 08-09

and now we have the crystal black

im pretty sure that the crystal is the worst black because of the budget cuts

im not sure if the formal black is the best black but its what I have

I saw the 2012 black and i parked it next to mine and noticed alotta orange peel in the newer black

but again im not sure if in fact the quality of the black on newer ridgelines is better or worst than the quality of the formal black

#15 ·
As someone who bought the same vehicle with the same color I am not surprised this is an issue. When I detailed my car in a sunny day I noticed the significant issue of the paint difference shade between the metal paint job and the bumpers paint job. I also uncovered, when waxing the roof, a significant "cloud smear" like imperfection under the clearcoat. It bother me enough to bring it to the Honda dealer service mgr and after an inspection by the direct Honda District Rep they agreed to fix the smear roof imprefection. I told him that there is a similar, but not as bad, smear in my driver door, but since it is winter here I could not show it to the dealer. I had to leave the car for the Honda rep to inspect and approve. It was approved. I just have to bring it before 10000 miles for the paint fix. He suggested to bring it in spring since paint cures better. I will. I will insist that they also fix the similar door smear and to look at the paint mismatch. This are defects that should have been caught by the final factory inspector and not me. It is starting to sound like qc in Honda is going the way of crap. Or they just do not have their heart on the RL anymore.

Also, so far the mpg sucks big. 12.7 average...most I got 18.2 in all highway. This is my third RL and

#18 ·
#20 ·
I also noticed this on my black 2013 sport. I have been trying to wash and wax weekly since i bought the truck, one of these times I caught myself waxing the truck at night with a headlamp and the difference was very easily noticed. I thought the dealership had switched out parts on me. Comforting to hear it is common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.