"Safety features disabled" after my dog fogged up the system display - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: White Diamond Pearl
Question "Safety features disabled" after my dog fogged up the system display

This seems very strange to me. I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

I had my Golden Retriever in the passenger seat the other day, and her breathing was fogging up the Multi Information Display and the dashboard trim just to it's right. After a minute or so, two indicators lit up in yellow. One showed a collision, and the other, I believe, had something to do with the lane keep assist. A notification appeared on the screen saying that safety features had been disabled, and there was an image showing what looked like the display being wiped clear with a cloth.

I pulled over, shut off the truck, wiped the display clear, and restarted it, and the light was off, but it reappeared after a minute. After leaving my dog at "Doggy Day Camp" I wiped the display off and put the defroster on high for a minute, then stopped and restarted the truck. The warning(s) have not recurred since then.

Should this be a matter of concern? Is it something I should ask the service department to check out?
Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Re: "Safety features disabled" after my dog fogged up the system display

Let your dog ride in the back...much safer for both of you.
erikras and JoWoodburn like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input, but I was not seeking advice about where my dog should ride. I want to know if anyone else has had the same or similar warnings, and if I should take the 5-day old truck in to be checked out.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

My guess is that her breathing also fogged up the sensing camera on the backside of the rearview mirror and running the defrost cleared it up. People have had similar problems when they mounted their EZ Pass too close to the camera.
HyperPete and JoWoodburn like this.

2017 Deep Scarlet Pearl RTL-E
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't be concerned with this. The touch screen is pretty sensitive and my guess is this is a safety feature programmed in when it detects moisture buildup or condensation on the screen. Try to keep your dogs mouth away from the screen in the future (which I know can be hard sometimes lol). I don't think its anything worth going into the dealer for though.
HyperPete likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: "Safety features disabled" after my dog fogged up the system display

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSERVIT View Post
My guess is that her breathing also fogged up the sensing camera on the backside of the rearview mirror and running the defrost cleared it up. People have had similar problems when they mounted their EZ Pass too close to the camera.
Aha! That makes sense, thank you! I was uncertain how the screen and/or dashboard being "fogged up" could effect the safety features. It's also good to know about the EZ Pass before I mount mine!
DSERVIT likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Well, this morning this occurred about 5 minutes after I started up. There was no dog in the car, and no apparent condensation anywhere. The defroster had been on already to help clear a little frost on the windshield near the bottom edge. As you can see, I have just over 1500 miles on the truck.

After about another 5 minutes all of the warnings went away, and LKAS and cruise both worked fine. Is this worth a trip to the dealer for eval?
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
Well, this morning this occurred about 5 minutes after I started up. There was no dog in the car, and no apparent condensation anywhere. The defroster had been on already to help clear a little frost on the windshield near the bottom edge. As you can see, I have just over 1500 miles on the truck.

After about another 5 minutes all of the warnings went away, and LKAS and cruise both worked fine. Is this worth a trip to the dealer for eval?
On my RTL-E this has always has to do with how blocked the camera on the windshield (or the radar behind the Honda emblem) is with snow/ice/slush/frost. I've never had any permanent problems once a stopped and cleaned off both areas.

Still have some issues with the parking sensors in major downpours (left front especially) so I may have that sensor replaced since I don't believe it or the harness is water tight.

CURRENT: 2017 RTL-E
PAST
: 2010 RTL w/Nav (R.I.P.)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klossfam View Post
On my RTL-E this has always has to do with how blocked the camera on the windshield (or the radar behind the Honda emblem) is with snow/ice/slush/frost. I've never had any permanent problems once a stopped and cleaned off both areas.

Still have some issues with the parking sensors in major downpours (left front especially) so I may have that sensor replaced since I don't believe it or the harness is water tight.
Thank you for the (FAST!) reply. I have a small plastic parking pass that hangs from my mirror, and it has been there since day 1. There is nothing else that might possibly be in the way, and the frost on the windshield might have extended 4" from the bottom edge. I doubt that it could have had anything to do with this, and it was probably gone by the time this occurred. There is no snow / ice / slush where I live at this time to foul up the Honda emblem.

Still, it is good to know that this is not an unheard of event, and that in your experience it is not something major.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I took my RL in for another issue and asked about this event. They checked and found a code for dirt/dust on the camera and cleared it. Now there is a record of this in the unlikely event that it occurs in the future and / or becomes problematic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Problems, Fixes & TSB's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode