Wait for 2018+ - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Wait for 2018+

There no questioning it the 2017 Ridgeline is very refined and feature rich compared to its competitors, but I can't help wondering what's down the road and should I wait.

Likely
-Locking tailgate
-New head unit with Volume knob

Highly likely (features from Canadian model)
- Heated windshield wiper area
-Rain sensing wipers
- Vented seats
-Heated rear seats
-Turn signals in the mirrors
-Power folding mirors
- Rear climate control panel

Maybe but probably not anytime soon
-9 or 10 speed transmission (after kinks worked out in other models
-better gas mileage
-Facelift (less pilot like)
-Doors reengineered to open wider

Never
-Off-Road edition

More competition
-2018-19 Ranger
-2018-19 Jeep pickup
-20something Nissan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 AM

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: Other
Garage
Re: Wait for 2018+

I would think most of those things will eventually come, but aside from the volume knob I wouldn't expect major feature changes until a mid-cycle refresh further down the line.

Rain sensing wipers are already available.

My opinion is that the doors won't be re-engineered as they aren't really a marketable feature. While a few people may be upset, if it isn't ultimately affecting sales they won't spend money to change it. Same goes for a locking tailgate.

In the end, new features are always only a few years away. You can continue to wait for what's next or buy what you want when the time is right for you.
DSERVIT and tjames007 like this.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL-E
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadasaurus View Post
Rain sensing wipers are already available.
wow
that is the last feature I would ever want on any vehicle. Is there someone that lazy or stupid that cannot be bother to turn on the wipers or doesn't know it is actually raining?
Didn't a dealer say it is not a rolls royce? (or somthing like that...)
if it actually eliminated the wiper control, I would never buy that vehicle.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
wow
that is the last feature I would ever want on any vehicle. Is there someone that lazy or stupid that cannot be bother to turn on the wipers or doesn't know it is actually raining?
Didn't a dealer say it is not a rolls royce? (or somthing like that...)
if it actually eliminated the wiper control, I would never buy that vehicle.
Assuming I'm not missing sarcasm here...

It doesn't eliminate the wiper control. Just like the auto-headlight feature. They will turn on without the driver command or can be manually controlled by the driver.

2009 Mocha Metallic RTL (sold)
2017 Black Edition

Last edited by Jbgreen10; 08-30-2016 at 07:35 AM.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:02 AM

Model: RTL
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic
I doubt there would be significant changes for a couple of years.
There are theories that say the first year Is the best and subsequent years are used to cheapen things and squeeze profit.
Michigan likes this.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:09 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
Likely
-Locking tailgate
Likely? That's a bit of a stretch there. Honda specifically chose not to have it on the new 2017. I would love to eat my words, but I highly doubt that will be an added OEM feature.

On the bright side, you have OEM speaker exciters to be excited about!

-----
2016-Current 2017 Ridgeline RTL-T
2003-2016 03 Element DX- Modded to SC
2000-2003 98 Prelude
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

There is always going to be something new to wait for, I was waiting for flying cars but in the meantime I kind of need something now.
In my opinion in never makes sense waiting unless you need to wait for personal reasons, like money or you just bought something else a year ago... that kind of thing.

But it never seems to make sense to wait for features on something, than you wait your whole life away instead of just enjoying what is; manufactures are always going to change things, you can wait till 2018 than they will say hey but in 2019 there will be this feature, and than 2020... it never ends.

If you like what they are offering, buy it, and stop worrying about what MIGHT BE in the future, zombies may take over before then. At least that's my viewpoint.
Michigan, geoNH, ericyo and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM

Model: SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHansen View Post
I doubt there would be significant changes for a couple of years.
There are theories that say the first year Is the best and subsequent years are used to cheapen things and squeeze profit.
Now that you mention it, i have heard that before. My buddy bought a new '96 mustang gt. He then had to wreck that mustang. Then he bought a new '98 mustang gt. I can remember him commenting several times about the '98 being "cheapened."

I'm sure it works both ways to some extent, though. I would think they would work to get some of the bugs out, and work on ways to lessen their costs. I guess the lessening their costs is probably a higher priority. The getting the bugs out might be mainly for stuff that they are getting a lot of warranty claims on.........thus trying to lessen their overall costs again.

The more i think about it, the more i like your theory.
Michigan likes this.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2009
Color: White / Beige

Honda, other than the 2013 to 2014 Civic (which Consumer's Reports failed as really bad) has never changed anything other than Federally required changes or minor performance changes until mid refresh. The 2006 to 2014 Ridgeline had the same radio all that time. They did add sensors from 2006 to 2007 for emissions and a fix for the 45-48 mph gear search the transmission did. Nothing changed much until the 2009 refresh.

If the Ridgeline was a bread and butter vehicle (Accord, Civic, CR-V and maybe the Pilot and/or Odyssey) the changes could happen between year 1 and year 2. It is a line filler and Honda Management does not worry about it ever. Line fillers are allowed to die, see here are line fillers: the Element, Prelude, DelSol, Crosstour, Insight 1 and 2 all were allowed to die.

If Honda really cared about the Ridgeline, a new model would have appeared in 2010 as a 2011. The 2nd gen Ridgeline is a Pilot with a bed. Like the Ford Ranchero was a Falcon/Torino with a bed.

My 2 cents as I have owned Honda's off and on since 1976 (that's 40 years). I have left Honda before for Subaru and probably will again as I see faulty engineering in the latest models or really sorry quality control. There are too many new Hondas at the dealers needing something fixed. Honda's used to never need anything fixed. My 1st 30 years of Honda's, Other than PDI issues, I never took one in other than for recall notices. I did get the early 2006 fuse box fixed at the St. Louis ROC meeting for free, that was the only thing that I had to fix. My 2003 Chevy Silverado required visits almost every week for minor things ( power window stuck, power fold in mirror stuck, A/C compressor failed 2 times, radio failed 3 times, passenger power seat failed. drivers lumbar failed. sunroof stuck open. )
Carsmak, Michigan, ericyo and 1 others like this.

2013 Honda CR-V Polished Metalic EX-L with Navi.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline with 20.6 MPG and over 60,000 miles driven- I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Modern Steel Metalic

I'm glad they make line fillers. The ones you mention are among the ones I don't find boring.
pbear likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode