TSB for water leak - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2007
Color: Other
TSB for water leak

The dreaded water leak?? they finally admit!

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/112...5-045/451.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model Year: 2006
Re: TSB for water leak

Wow...Joe..did you ever delete that fast.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL
Color: Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRidgester

Good find, I have been paranoid since I started reading about it out here. I am not sure if mine leaks, if it does it isn't much. Is this considered a recall?
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRidgester

The drill hole size of 3/16" shown in this TSB is pretty small for a drain hole.

I wonder where the water enters above the rubber sound block and if debris can also enter and eventually plug this small drain hole years down the road and cause the problem again.

My s/n falls within the TSB vin numbers shown.

I haven't had any leaks yet but finally had a couple good rains. I'll bet that there is water building up above that rubber sound block and will eventualy spill over onto the passanger side floor.
That might explain why I haven't seen any leakage yet after a few rains and washings.

Boy, am I getting paranoid or what?
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Unhappy TSB on front compartment water leak

I have been concerned about the potential for water leaks since before I made my RL purchase.

It is beneficial that Honda has issued a TSB on the front compartment water leak. However, I am not confident that this TSB will correct all front compartment leaks.
Over months of reading many posts regarding an assortment of Dealer solutions to this problem it appears that there are various causes for the front compartment leak. The Honda TSB only proposes one solution which I doubt will address all causes for the leak.

Example: Uh oh..Trouble in Paradise. (Leaky Interior)

My S/N falls within this group , and after 4,800 miles my interior is dry. However, it may be just a matter of time before the leak starts .

I have read that individuals have been able to negotiate their own compensation ... ie, free extended warranty, free RL replacement, $$$. However, the success of this may be a function of the negotiator, Dealership, and Honda Regional Rep ... too many variables to satisfy me.

In the past, has Honda provided 1st year model owners (as a group) with compensation for the "1st year model mfg bugs" aggrevation, pain, suffering?

I know about the Lemon Law, but I'm not sure that repeat visits for a water leak caused by different problems is eligible.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Re: TSB on front compartment water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVickers
I have been concerned about the potential for water leaks since before I made my RL purchase.It is beneficial that Honda has issued a TSB on the front compartment water leak. However, I am not confident that this TSB will correct all front compartment leaks.
Over months of reading many posts regarding an assortment of Dealer solutions to this problem it appears that there are various causes for the front compartment leak. The Honda TSB only proposes one solution which I doubt will address all causes for the leak.
I agree 100% regarding this TSB not revealing the whole problem.There was a post from a member who went to a wedding and it rained hard while his RL was parked. When he drove away water spilled on his feet from under the dash. Now, how could that have come from a leak in just the right A pillar, isn't there a sound block also in the left A pillar? What about all the leaks in the rear area possiblly from around the top rear brake light trim piece or rear window?

Thanks for the enlightening information regarding truck trading. I sure wish I had found the ROC before I purchased my RL. I would still purchased one but I would have checked s/n and build dates first.

My dealer said mine just arrived the week I purchased it 6/9/05. Later I find a build date of 04/05 and s/n (5) 17127

Ive' been reading and gathering alot of info on these leaks and I'm going to raise hell with my dealer if they deny hearing of it.
Too bad HONDA isn't more forthcoming on this issue.

All said, I still love my truck.

Last edited by T Mac; 01-10-2006 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Well, your lack of confidence is right on. My ridgeline is in today for a water leak right underneath the gas pedal. Also becasue The wiring harness on the dealer installed trailer hitch didn't work the first time I tried use it. Went to trailer my boat on Monday, no lights! they said they fixed it today.

When I dropped off the ridge this morn. I told the tech it is a leak from underneath through a seam near gas pedal.

Do you know, they didn't hear a word I said, he went word for word from the TSB. when they called to inform me the truck was ready, but found no leak after soaking the ridge from the top with a hose for an hour. I said that is because the leak is from underneath not from the top. as we speak they are looking from underneath as I told them to in the first place.

I hope this helps others to be specific about the location of you own leaks.

I'll update after the next big puddles I drive through
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to captmiddy

Still no water here and I like to drive through the big puddles during rain storms, last time I think I soaked three rows of cars on the other side of the highway, yes I know how bad this is, but I can't help myself and they weren't moving anyway since they were in stop and go traffic. I keep checking, pulling up my carpets (pulled out the mats and put carpets in, the carpets will being going inside soon because of the winter) and feeling under them. One time I thought it was a little damp but that was probably because my wife had water on her boots when she got in and I really mean just a little.

As to what Honda will do long term for the crazies that bought year 1, well we all knew what we were getting into when we bought a first model year vehicle. Even if it is Honda it is still year 1. I doubt they will feel any obligation to compensate us in anyway. I also have faith that they will at least keep us covered for as long as first year issues continue to crop up.

A day late, $2000 short, the price of wanting something really badly.

2006 Ridgeline RTL-S/R-Navi Redrock Pearl/Beige (15.842 MPG 30,736 miles )
Accessories: Roof Rack, Carpets, Trailer Hitch, Bed Extender
2008 Toyata Camry Hybrid Grey (34.858 mpg 38,534 miles)
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyridge
Wow...Joe..did you ever delete that fast.
Wow, your fast!!! Thought I deleted that earlier post within 30 seconds.

I deleted that post because after reading the TSB I wanted to make additional comments on what I think might be an inadequate size drain hole to drain water that SHOULDN'T be there in the first place.

I'm really pissed now, the more I think about it. They're going to drill two holes in my truck - paint them so they won't rust - and cover it all with some goop.

What a Mickey Mouse way to fix something!!

I'm going to demand my dealer to show me where the water is entering and tell them to FIX IT THERE!!!

What about other leak points that could occur on the left cabin side, or who knows where? Am I going to have a $35,000+ new truck drilled full of holes? They're attitude and fixes, IMHO are RIDICULOUS. They need to do a recall and get then ALL fixed. Why wait for wet carpets and our anxiety and apprehension waiting for a leak to happen?

Sorry for the yelling. I'm going to stop reading these Water Leak posts, they're causing me high blood pressure. Damn I'm pissed after looking at that TSB again.

I probably should of sent this to Dear Honda.

P.S. I still love my truck and want to keep it.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

I haven't found any leaks yet -- but my truck falls within the VIN range on the TSB. I have to take the truck back in for a refix on the steering wheel creak and another noise, so I asked the service advisor if the dealer would like to save themselves time and money and just do the fix now for the water leak as shown in the TSB.

The service advisor was surprised, first of all, that I knew of the TSB (maybe 'cause I'm "just a girl"), and then he told me that generally they're supposed to be able to replicate the problem before they do the fix. I told him that plenty of people on this site have had the problem, etc., etc., and that hosing it down won't create the problem, and my truck falls within the VIN range clearly stated on the TSB, and he finally said that he'd go ahead and do the fix for me.

So we'll see what happens on Monday when I take it in.

Thanks again to all those here who have posted the actual TSB's!

"... in the morning, when the wild ducks rose in the air, they stared at their new comrade. 'What sort of a duck are you?' they all said, coming round him."
Build Date 4/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Recalls, TSB's and Notices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode