Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Costco Auto Program

18K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Riddy 
#1 ·
I just ordered my Ridgeline Black Edition got it for $40,998 through costco auto program invoice. Estimated delivery would be this end of march.. can't wait!! The salesman trying to sale to me for $44k lol. Then, i mentioned the costco program boom!no more haggles.!! FYI.. you're welcome!

#3 ·
Does that include the $900 destination (or whatever it's gone up to) charge? If it does, you got an awesome deal, it not, it's still decent. Up until recently, BE's were going for almost full MSRP (I got a whole $500 off back in September and thought that was great).

#7 ·
I checked my Costco program and compared it with my USAA program and went with USAA auto buying program. If USAA member check it out before deciding.

#8 ·
Costco program for the Ridgeline is invoice + $500 for the Black Edition and invoice+$100 for all the other RL models. That includes the destination charges.

You also get 15% off on any accessories and one 20% off coupon for a single accessory if you buy through the program.

You need to visit a "Costco-approved" dealer that you can find on their website.

#9 ·
That feels like a pretty crazy deal to me. RTL-Es nearby are in the 43K$ range. I doubt with the most aggressive hard ball tactics that I could get it even close to 37K$, especially with how they can't keep them in stock anywhere. Am I right in understanding this? I go buy a 55$ Costco membership. Then I go on their website and have a dealer contact me. I tell them I want a White RTL-E with Fender Flares and they will give me the truck for 37,909$ + 20% off the fender flares? Is it really that simple? I wonder if a wheel or tire swap would count for either the 20% or 15% accessory deals.

#15 ·
I joined Costco specifically to get Costco pricing on the Ridgeline. After doing so I was told that the closest dealer that participated was 106 miles away. I contacted them, and they refused to give me the pricing unless I drove to get it. You might say I was a bit displeased. No, I did not drive 106 miles to get the price.

#17 ·
I'm a member of Sam's Club and have used that in the past to buy a vehicle. The nearest participating Honda dealer was in South Dakota! I called Costco and said I was interested in joining to use the buying program if they had a dealer in the area and found that their nearest participating dealer was in Nebraska! Luckily I saved myself the joining fee.

#22 ·
For what its worth, I looked into both the Costco and USAA programs here (in Dallas) and ended up getting a MUCH MUCH MUCH better deal on my own, negotiating via email/text with dealers.

I paid under $33k for an RTL-T AWD (paid $35,900 OTD) compared to invoice of $34,489 based on what I saw online. Both Costco and USAA would have cost me an extra $2,000+.

#23 · (Edited)
This is the email I sent to 6 dealerships in my area:

Good evening. You have been blind cc'd in this email request.

I have been to your dealership and spoken with you about this vehicle. I have test driven the two models in which I was interested, and have made my decision. I have decided to purchase a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, White with Black Interior. I have also solicited a bid through Costco. No financing is needed, no accessories, additional services, warranties or products will be purchased.

I will not play the bidding game; your one bid, out the door price, will be compared to the Costco bid. Lowest bidder wins the sale. The bid will be for a new, un-driven truck, with less than 10 miles. If necessary it may be special ordered. I require delivery before May 1st.

If you do not want to send me your bid, simply do not reply to this email, and I will purchase elsewhere.

Thank you for your time!
I think I made out pretty well. The bids ran the gamut from almost MSRP to the offer I took. (I don't remember what it was, I posted it a while back in the "What did you pay" thread.) I'll try to find it and come back to edit this post with my cost.

In the end, I took delivery of a White RTL-E with Black Interior dealer swap that was in stock. It had just over 100 miles on it, but I decided to take it rather than wait several months for an order.

YMMV.

EDIT: I paid f $42,057.17 out the door. Maybe not the lowest possible, but good enough for me in this area.

Reactions: Bajapalm
#25 ·
Thanks for this post. This is exactly what I am going to do -
I am looking for a RTL-T AWD - Invoice is 34,489 - through Costco my offer was 35425 + all fees. Not 500 over invoice closer to 1000

will let you know how it goes!
Greg

edit the letter didn't quote but can be found above

This is the email I sent to 6 dealerships in my area:

I think I made out pretty well. The bids ran the gamut from almost MSRP to the offer I took. (I don't remember what it was, I posted it a while back in the "What did you pay" thread.) I'll try to find it and come back to edit this post with my cost.

In the end, I took delivery of a White RTL-E with Black Interior dealer swap that was in stock. It had just over 100 miles on it, but I decided to take it rather than wait several months for an order.

YMMV.

EDIT: I paid f $42,057.17 out the door. Maybe not the lowest possible, but good enough for me in this area.

#24 ·
Been a Costco member for several years and didn't even know about this benefit! Still, I got a great deal on my '17 BE and don't think the Costco Auto Program would have saved me any more money. But when I buy my wife a new car later this year, I'll definitely be using it!!

#26 ·
HyperPete-

I am writing my letter - my offer from Costco was through a dealer not directly from Costco.
I could send this to all the other dealers in an acceptable radius but not the one that gave me the offer.
Did your program work differently?
PS Hows the new truck?
Greg

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Greg,

Yes, the Costco quote comes directly from a dealer, not Costco. I would not include the quote with your letter. That way the dealers must guess, and, in my opinion, are more likely to give you a good price. If you include the Costco bid, then all they have to do is meet that one. They might be able to do better!

I LOVE the truck! Yesterday I towed a 2200 pound trailer with a Rav4 on it 445 miles. It handled it like a champ and averaged 14.3 MPG for the trip.
Comfortable trip at 65 MPH.

#28 ·
Thanks Pete,

Got my letter ready! I got the bid from the dealer of 35425 + fees - I inquired about the fees and got this-
Hello Greg, the fees are what you would pay to the Government(taxes, DMV, Doc Fee) It come about 10% of the selling price.
So if I add 10% and I am out the door at $38967 so I guess that's what I want to beat!

Here is what I am sending out today

Dear San Diego County Honda dealer,

I have decided to purchase a 2017 AWD Ridgeline RTL-T, white pearl / tan interior.
I would also consider the same model in Forest Mist (green) / grey interior.

I have been to a few Honda dealerships and spoken with them and and test driven this vehicle.
I have made my decision.

I have also solicited a bid through the Costco buyers program.
No financing is needed, no accessories, additional services, warranties or products will be purchased.

I will not play the bidding game; your one bid, out the door price, will be compared to the Costco bid.
Lowest bidder wins the sale.

The bid will be for a new, un-driven truck, with less than 15 miles. If necessary it may be special ordered. Preference will be given for a timely delivery, so if not in stock please give me the anticipated delivery date.

If you do not wish to send me a bid, simply do not reply to this email, and I will purchase elsewhere.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

#30 ·
Thanks Pete,

Got my letter ready! I got the bid from the dealer of 35425 + fees - I inquired about the fees and got this-

Hello Greg, the fees are what you would pay to the Government(taxes, DMV, Doc Fee) It come about 10% of the selling price.

So if I add 10% and I am out the door at $38967 so I guess that's what I want to beat!

Here is what I am sending out today

Dear San Diego County Honda dealer,

I have decided to purchase a 2017 AWD Ridgeline RTL-T, white pearl / tan interior.

I would also consider the same model in Forest Mist (green) / grey interior.

I have been to a few Honda dealerships and spoken with them and and test driven this vehicle.

I have made my decision.

I have also solicited a bid through the Costco buyers program.

No financing is needed, no accessories, additional services, warranties or products will be purchased.

I will not play the bidding game; your one bid, out the door price, will be compared to the Costco bid.

Lowest bidder wins the sale.

The bid will be for a new, un-driven truck, with less than 15 miles. If necessary it may be special ordered. Preference will be given for a timely delivery, so if not in stock please give me the anticipated delivery date.

If you do not wish to send me a bid, simply do not reply to this email, and I will purchase elsewhere.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

Right! San Diego County Honda Dealer is just a generic term. Gonna blast it to about 8 dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Looks good, Greg. I did not even put the dealership name(s) on my email. I sent them all BBC (Blind Carbon Copied) so that they could not see who else was receiving the email.
I hope that this works as well for you as it did for me.

I'll be anticipating good news from you in the not too distant future.

Cheers!

#32 ·
Re: Costco Program

It depends on the make/model. When I looked into it for the Ridgeline E back in July, they were $900 over invoice. The sales guy showed me the price sheet for all their Honda's and I think the Ridgeline was one of the most expensive and maybe $1500-1800 below for some of the Civics. Not every dealer is part of the program, so you may need to travel a bit further.
I mentioned in another post or two that the Costco price is a good starting point and you can dicker from there.

#33 ·

I'm in the middle of buying my RTL-T, and my local dealer is also the Costco dealer.

According to them, on the RTL-T, the Costco pricing is dealer invoice plus $500. We worked out a price of dealer invoice -$500. I take delivery 2 weeks from today.

As said, it's a good place to start.

Good luck,
Bob S.

#34 ·

Purchased a RTL-E after getting three quotes through Consumer Reports... MSRP was 42500 My local dealer had the truck i wanted and with the 3 quotes I Paid

Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD Stokes Beaufort SC
MSRP $42,560
Savings $4,090
Dealer Fees
Price $38,470
SC Sales Tax $500
Registration $24
Title $15
Trade in 2007 Ridgeline 186,000 miles -$5,500
Roof Rack rails Silver $525
Body Side Molding $225
Floor mats $169
Total $34,428

#35 ·
I got 3 competitor quotes from Charleston and savannah through Consumer Reports. My local dealer met the competitors....Easy deal since i was Prepared.....Total price below

Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD Stokes Beaufort SC
MSRP $42,560
Savings $4,090
Price $38,470
SC Sales Tax $500
Registration $24
Title $15
Trade in 2007 Ridgeline 186,000 miles -$5,500
Roof Rack rails Silver $525
Body Side Molding $225
Floor mats $169
Total $34,428

#38 ·
Does anyone know when the 2022 Costco pricing will be released? Does it typically take a couple months before Costco gives their pricing to the dealers in the program?

I was trying to buy a 2021 Ridgeline through the program a couple months ago, but I couldn't find an RTL-E that I liked. The 2021 pricing was $2,040 below MSRP which was much better pricing than I could get on my own in the current environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.