Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How NOT to use a torque wrench

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  OldNorske 
#1 ·
When tightening a torque wrench, set your feet/knees firmly on the ground and pull the torque wrench. DO NOT PUSH!

Here is the backstory: I went outside to tighten my wife's lugnuts today since I put on her winter wheels a couple weeks ago. As I was pushing the torque wrench down and the socket slipped off the bolt. My jaw caught her fender flares with 105 foot lbs of force, causing me to collapse to the ground and see stars for a few seconds. I think I also dislocated it cause it's still hurting when I try to eat 1 hour later. :act064:

#2 ·
Ouch!!!! As a mechanic we are taught from the very beginning always pull wrenches, ratchets, etc for that reason. That's how mechanics get the nick name, "Knuckle busters."

#3 ·
Yeah, well I'm obviously no mechanic lol. Any other basic tips you have for me? By the way, were you stationed at Fort Stewart? When I used to live in Atlanta I had a friend from Hinesville who said a lot of her friends were army brats. I think Fleming is right around there as well.

#6 ·
The nut was only slightly rounded off, yes? All is well then. Just tell everyone it was a bar fight and none will be the wiser.

#8 ·
If it makes you feel any better, I was playing tug of war with a 72-lb Doberman Pinscher, having lifted her entirely off the ground, when she decided to let go. I promptly struck myself as hard as I could in my left eye, then lay on the ground for several minutes trying to recover while the dog pranced around trying to get me to play some more.

KeS

#10 ·
Wow, I had my issues too, but I really take my time, I'm so slow if someone sees me working on my car the thoughts will be I'm crazy. Maybe I learned my lessons.

About 7 months ago I had an issue working with a straight blade xacto knife, 2nd time this happened to me, first time stitches on both sides of the finger being lucky not to have nerve damage, ant the last one, just a cut, I needed stitches and got sick from the shock but had no med insurance and I took care of it myself with superglue and it worked great, no noticeable scar,specially under where it hurts the most. I sure there will not be third time even though now I have insurance.

#11 ·
Ouch! Such is life in the school of hard knocks!

Hopefully, some of us are smart enough to learn from other's mistakes!

... note to self...

#14 ·
Well I have like a dent on my finger because it happened near the tip bottom of it.

The super glue goes over the cut after being cleaned,and not in between the skin though, just thought I should clear that up. It was a very clean but deep cut, glad It worked.

#18 ·
I use super glue when I have dry air skin cracks in my thumbs. I put it in the crack and hold it together for a short time. It works great! ;)

#16 ·
And to add insult to injury (literally), it sounds like the torque wrench slammed into the ground at the same 105 ft-lbs that your jaw took. Probably trashed the wrench, or at the very least, you'll need to get it calibrated as I'm sure it's no longer reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.