LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: SPORT
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Question heavy tongue weight towing

Hi,
I was looking for information into the owner manual for the towing of 500lbs+ of tongue weight. If I understand correctly I can go up to 600lbs. how about weight distribution unit. I am looking for a Rv that will have 500lbs on the tongue. Just want to make sure the setup will be ok.

before testing it, is there any way I can make sure I need a weight distribution unit ?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Re: heavy tongue weight towing

According to the manual, no WDH is needed. It says that if you do decide to use a WDH, make sure it is installed/operated correctly.

On the G1 Ridgeline, a WDH was not recommended at all.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

well, the first sentence isn't clear enought for me... how do I interpret that ?

thanks

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM

You do not need a WDH however if you use one make sure it is properly installed.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2011
Color: White/Grey

This should be obvious but just in case ... you need to be concerned with the LOADED WEIGHT of the trailer, not the unloaded weight.

2014 F250 XLT, 6.7L, 4x4, CC, LB
pulls Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Bali Blue Pearl

Have the trailer dealership install and adjust correctly. And then teach you to use it correctly@
I towed a 4000 pound pop up with a Dodge Dakota. Equipped with a weight distributing hitch. It was not the chain style it was a spring bar setup. At the same time it was weight distributing it also had a anti-sway brake system that worked very well. You attach trailer to vehicle and raised it as far as you could with the tongue support way past where it would normally be. You attach the spring bars to the receiver and then pull them up and set them down on top of the brake pads that were on the trailer itself. At that point you lowered the tongue wheel. when doing so that put tension on the trailer and the hitch. The setup was amazing to use. experienced relatively little or no trailer sway even with high winds.
I did have an experience where a sudden swift gust of wind started the trailer to sway very badly to the point where the back of the truck was being jerked back and forth. Hit trailer brake nothing happened. Had to accelerate to pull the trailer straight again. When I got home I found that the trailer brake controller wire had been pulled out during the weekend so it was not connected. If the anti-sway part of the weight distributing hitch that I had was not on I would have had a serious accident.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I understand all thoses thoerical statement, however, no one at RV dealer know the ridgeline. I would like to just follow what is already written somewhere

how come a weight distribution unit can be badly installed ? that look pretty simple

how about once I put the RV with LOADED capacity if I see the back of the truck going bad and front going up..

not sure why manual say that I don't need a weight distribution unit. from my understanding, you have to put this when there is a lot of tongue weight and so, the back of the truck is low and the front is up. once installed and binded correctly according to the manual of the weight distribution unit, you will see the back of the truck going up, and the front going down.

thanks
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTL
Color: Bali Blue Pearl

I quess you can do what you want. It's yours.
But they may not know much about the RL, they will know about the hitch and which one you should buy and how it should be adjusted to work correctly each and every time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:46 PM

I am very interested in this also because I am considering buying a TT with a dry weight of 3700lbs and hitch weight of 320lbs. Everyone I have talked to recommends getting the weight distribution hitch with sway bars for safer towing. I have never towed before and do not know if this is true or not but I have heard horror stories with travel trailer towing.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Model: *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Color: White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siffleu View Post
Hi,
I was looking for information into the owner manual for the towing of 500lbs+ of tongue weight. If I understand correctly I can go up to 600lbs. how about weight distribution unit. I am looking for a Rv that will have 500lbs on the tongue. Just want to make sure the setup will be ok.

before testing it, is there any way I can make sure I need a weight distribution unit ?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siffleu View Post
I understand all thoses thoerical statement, however, no one at RV dealer know the ridgeline. I would like to just follow what is already written somewhere

how come a weight distribution unit can be badly installed ? that look pretty simple

how about once I put the RV with LOADED capacity if I see the back of the truck going bad and front going up..

not sure why manual say that I don't need a weight distribution unit. from my understanding, you have to put this when there is a lot of tongue weight and so, the back of the truck is low and the front is up. once installed and binded correctly according to the manual of the weight distribution unit, you will see the back of the truck going up, and the front going down.

thanks
Don't base the tongue weight by what the RV manufacturer is providing as that is based on a base model empty unit without options generally. For RVs the tongue weight needs to be between 10% - 15% of the total weight of the trailer and most that I have towed over the last 20 years have been around the 12% mark. To answer your question of if you need a weight distribution hitch (WD) at 500lbs of tongue weight I can almost guarantee you that the front axle of the vehicle is being unloaded (front end going up as you state), meaning less weight over the steering which could become a problem when towing. If you unload the front axle enough you can end up under steering off the road very easily while towing and I have seen this actualy happen and have spoken to people that have experienced this and the common factor was no WD hitch with a heavy load behind. Almost all cases were full size tucks or SUVs as they felt I have 1/2T or 3/4T why do I need a WD hitch for a 1000lbs of tongue weight.

The only way that you can know 100% would be to hook up the RV you want at weight scales and see how much weight is being unloaded from the front axle. Problem is that no RV dealer will allow you to do this before you buy the unit. A good RV dealer will know if you should be using one or not based on previous experience with similar sized vehicles.

Our last trailer that we just sold weighed full loaded for a trip right at 4480lbs and the tongue wight was 560lbs (all weighed at a certified CAT scale) which is 12.5% so right within specs. We used a WD hitch with 1000lb bars on it and it worked like a dream never an issue. I am probably a bit biased as I will never tow a full height trailer without a WD hitch and have always used one in the 20 years and 120K+ mi of RV towing. By the way the trailer was towed by a Toyota Sienna minivan all over the US and Canada but that is another story all together.

As why the manuals sometimes have those statements to me they are CYA (cover your butt ) by the manufacturer in case someone sets up the WD system incorrectly (and yes it can be) that they will not be held liable.

Here is a good video for any one towing trailers and deciding if they should go with airbags or WD system, that shows what the difference is. This will show you how much weight is being unloaded from the front axle on a full size truck. Hope the link works and this helps someone trying to decide which way to go.

Sorry for the long winded post but hope this helps out.

Maybe there needs to be a towing section for the G2 like the G1 has that all the towing post can be under so it is easier to find answers. Over to you mods / admin staff .

Last edited by gbusuk; 02-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Tags
towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode