Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Towing

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ridgeNH 
#1 ·
FYI,

Just spent the last two wekends Towing a Baja Islander 208 that is about 3,040 pounds plus trailer of about 1,500 and had no problems at all.

This is one strong little truck , I was very impressed. The back up camera makes hitching up the trailer so easy it's awesome.

It easily handled a very steep wet, slick moss covered ramp that several others were sliding around on.

#4 ·
Empyrean said:
I am very interested in purchasing the backup camera but the install is scaring me. I plan on ordering it shortly and will hopefully get a mechanice friend to assist. If that seems too challenging, I guess I will take it to the dealer for install.
Check out the installation instructions here . They look pretty darn hard. I hope your mechanic friend is really good (or really adventurous); otherwise, I would take it to the dealership. I remember reading a post about someone who peeked in on the dealership when they were installing his rear-view camera and he said that it looked like they had disassembled the whole truck. Not work for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

#7 ·
I spent yesterday moving a friend's mother-in-law from upstate NY. The trek took me through the Berkshires and part of the Adirondacks. I was towing a 6'x12' U-Haul tandem axle trailer, which weighs 2,000 pounds empty. I added about 800 pounds of load. The terrain was very hilly. There were some serious thunderstorms all afternoon that brought travel down to a crawl, and there was a ton of traffic. The Ridgeline performed very well overall, and I got 13mpg going 70mph up/75 mph down when it was safe to do so. The engine was working, though, so I'd wonder how long it would last if this was the daily drive. I think a V-8 would be a better fit. But for occasional towing, it should be just fine. Now I have to remind myself to re-torque the hitch bolts.

#8 ·
ridgeNH, thanks for the report and the photo. We have a few things in common: both SBM, both pop-up tent (ours is a Rockwood), and both have a Jeep as a second vehicle. Oh, one other thing. We both found towing with the RL a joy.

#9 ·
While towing I average 16.8 miles / per gallon. The trip was 207.5 miles 140 of that towing. The road was mostly highway rt 93 to 89 to 202 and 31 to Pillsbury state park. Some hills, traffic light and moving.
Before I leaving I put 4.7 Gallons of 93 octane when I remember something about it in the manual.
The truck was great, felt solid, power seemed find very smooth.

Next week I take the camper out and test out the cooler at the same time

#10 ·
Its all good :)
I have no problems towing my 2000 Lbs boat/trailer package.
Ridge has a Lot more power and solid feel compare to my old Chev Astro with 4.3L Vortec V6.
I am very happy with its towing capabilities.
here is a pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.