88K views 146 replies 52 participants last post by  wjfyfe 
#1 ·
RIDGELINE Towing info
From the owners manual:
2 occupants, 5000 lb, 600 lb max tongue weight
3 occupants, 4750 lb, 600 lb max tongue weight
4 occupants, 4750 lb, 570 lb max tongue weight
5 occupants, 4500 lb, 516 lb max tongue weight

The corresponding weight limits assume occupants fill seats from the front of the vehicle to the back, each occupant weighs 150 lb and each has 15 lb of cargo in the cab, pickup bed, or in-Bed Trunk. Any additional weight, including cargo and accessories, reduces the maximum trailer weight and maximum tongue load. Never exceed the gross axle weight ratings.

My question....

If I had 4 occupants (lets assume the above statement about peoples weight and how much gear they each had) and was towing something that weighed 4750 lbs but only had a 250lb tongue weight....since I would be under the 570 lb tongue weight....will that allow me to use that addtional 320 lbs for other gear?? Of course I would never carry the max but was just wondering if by not using up all the max tongue weight on a trailer could I use the leftover capacity elsewhere.

Thanks....sorry if you guys think this is a stupid question.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Let's look at a Ridgeline RTS for example.

GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) is 10085 lbs.
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is 6050 lbs.
Curb Weight (with hitch): 4520 lbs.

So if you take the GCVWR - Curb Weight you end up with 5565 lbs. available for the trailer and additional vehicle cargo and passengers.

If we take that 5565 lbs. and subtract the maximum trailer weight of 5000 lbs. we end up with 565 lbs.

So when towing a 5000 lb. trailer you could have any combination of driver, passengers and/or cargo up to 565 lbs. in the Ridgeline.

As you reduce the trailer weight you can add more weight for passengers and cargo up to the 6050 lb. GVW. If we subtract the Curb Weight from the GVW we see that the RTS is capable of up to 1530 lbs. for the driver, passengers, and cargo if not pulling a trailer over 4035 lbs. (but still assuming the weight of the hitch is installed).

So the maximum load for a Ridgeline RTS is 1530 lbs. for the driver, passengers, and vehicle cargo, plus a 4035 lb. trailer. Reducing the trailer weight does not allow us to carry more than 1530 lbs. in the Ridgeline.

Hope this covers all the angles.

The tongue weight spec. is a maximum only... you don't add it to the trailer or vehicle weight.

The other models vary only slightly.

Hope this helps!

#13 ·
First, csimo, your information is always outstanding... I wanna say thank you.
Now for my question...

Let's look at a Ridgeline RTS for example.

GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) is 10085 lbs.
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is 6050 lbs.
Curb Weight (with hitch): 4520 lbs.

...The tongue weight spec. is a maximum only... you don't add it to the trailer or vehicle weight.

At the risk of embarrassing myself for missing something, I'm not gonna PM you... I'm gonna ask this here, in case other people (at least ONE person, lol!) are as confused as me.

:rolleyes:

My questions is about tongue weight. I find it a little confusing that you wrote "you don't add it to the vehicle or trailer weight"... For full clarification, do you subtract the tongue weight from GCVWR? When you pull onto the scales and figure out your tongue weight, do you subtract that from the overall number? I had figured it was included, because it's still weight that adds to the entire combined rig.

However, the math doesn't work out if that's the case (doesn't work out if it IS included). Your math above DOES work if it's not.

If it IS included:
10085 GCVWR minus
5000 Trailer GVW minus
600 Trailer tongue weight minus
4520 Ridgeline curb weight equals

That's a deficit of 35 lbs. And that's without a driver and 140ish lbs. of fuel. (forget clothes and anything else).

The reason I'm asking is because it doesn't make sense to me. Page 208 of the manual (2006 RTL) says:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
(GVWR) - The maximum
allowable weight of the vehicle, all
occupants, all cargo, and the tongue
load is 6,050 lbs (2,745 kg).

Please help me understand this. I'm trying to figure what I'm missing and where to make sense of it. Some websites I read that it DOES include tongue, others say (like you) that it does not. Most don't mention it and I'm going blind trying to work the math out on every one to deduce a consensus.

I want to drive and tow safely. My trailer weighed in at 4360 loaded (*and that's loaded a little more than it will be on most future trips due to circumstance). I was very happy with my tongue weight of 550 (towed beautifully and smoothly with just a friction sway bar - no WDH). Seemed reasonable that the Ridgeline weighed in at 5200 with me, gear, and a full fuel tank. It seemed like I fell into all of the right parameters. But, then I'm still a bit panicked, because the combined weight (10110) was 25 lbs. "over" the total (my manual actually says 10088 not 10085, but three lbs is neither here nor there in relative terms).

If people don't detach each time to figure out tongue weight to be able to subtract that from the total weight, do they then really know what the GCVWR they're working with actually is?

Forgive me if this is stupid, or if I misunderstood something. The more I think about it, the more it drives me nuts. So I finally had to ask. Just wanna be safe and responsible! Even if other folks might be giggling right now.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Joe, you should change the title and make this post a sticky.

#9 ·
New Ridgy owner, 2008 RT, w/OEM hitch and bug deflector. Have a Trail Lite Cruiser 3,485 lbs. travel trailer and loaded will be around 4,200 lbs. I will be heading west this summer from florida to the western mountains of colorado and oregon. Researched the truck extensively and feel very comfortable with my setup. Purchased for $20,500, less my Honda 2004 Element trade in of $7,100. Remember, "HONDA IS THE POWER OF DREAMS".

#12 ·
Great Information. Sticky Please!!!

#17 ·
One other consideration on tongue weight.

If the tongue weight is too light you will have less control on the trailer, and the trailer hitch will bounce around more. The weight must be sufficient to prevent this and to prevent the trailer from trying to jump off the ball going over bumps, etc.

On the other hand, too much tongue weight puts excessive strain on the truck and consumes its carrying capacity.

So it is a balanceing act, enough to safely tow, not to much to damage truck.

Walter

#23 ·
I think it would depend on how far the rack protrudes. You cold get a lot of leverage on the hitch with a 450lb bike if it hangs off the back 3 feet. I would imagine that if you hit a big bump, you could put a lot more than 500 lbs down pressure. OTOH, one would think the hitch has that factored in on the load limit because a trailer would have a similar effect over bumps. If you already have the carrier, throw it on and drive around slowly and see how it feels/looks.

#25 ·
This sounds like a sport bike by the weight. I use my Ridgeline (bought it, actually) to take my bike(s) to the track, and they work very well inside the bed. I'd spend the money on a good set of ramps instead of a carrier. More of a pain, but I really don't like the dynamics of those hitch carriers. But you are technically within spec with the setup you describe. Barely.

KeS

#28 ·
^ Kevin is that an S1000rr on the bed? I got the Ridgeline for the same reason, mainly for bike transport to the track. Northeast area. My buddies 3 of them also have Ridgelines,you can fit both bikes in the ridgeline.

My question on the wiring harness, the Ridgeline I got had a Curt Class 3 hitch installed but no wiring harness. I was thinking of getting the Honda OEM version. If you're trailering with brakes, how are the brakes applied on the trailer. Does pressing the Ridgeline brakes activate the trailer brakes as well? Do you need any separate brake controller or is the OEM included.

Also is it safe to tap into the hitch to install the OEM bracket for the hitch harness plug since the Curt doesn't have anywhere to attach the bracket to?

#29 ·
Yes, that's my now-ex S1000RR. The biggest bike I've seen pics of back there was an ST1x00.

You can tap into the hitch for the OEM bracket, but I found it neater to buy an L-bracket from E-trailer, mount it with the supplied hose clamps, and remount the factory connectors onto it. Looks very clean.

The OEM wiring provides a relayed, plugin connection point for a 3rd party brake controller such as a Prodigy, but doesn't include a controller in the package. If you choose to go with tail/brake light wiring, you'd have to figure out a way to tap into it to power a controller.

KeS

#33 ·
Actually, I believe it's the last one in that list. I'm pretty sure that's the one I used... and i used your suggestion of that L bracket for my installation.

Kevin, if this is your installation thread, I don't find your parts list:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40177&highlight=kevin_stevens

Unfortunately, your pics are still MIA.

Here's your post in another thread where you mention the bracket:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=589053&postcount=34

Ah yes... the tie wraps. Such a great idea for a solo install! I just used my feet and legs to do two other solo installs before you invented that method. So much easier!

#34 ·
I have read all of this and assume I'm okay, but before I write a check for $36,000 for a new SE, can I have a little encouragement? My biggest concern is rearend sag on the Ridgeland.
People: 350 lbs.
Luggage: 100 lbs.
Gear in bed: 200 lbs.
Fuel: 150 lbs.
Total: 800 lbs.
Tongue wt.: 400 lbs.
Trailer weight: 3,000 lbs.
Ridgeline: 4600 lbs.
Am I going to be okay with this at 5,000 ft. elev.?

#37 ·
On the technical side you're within the capabilities of the Ridgeline.

On the realistic side you will have significant rear end sag with 200 lbs. in the bed and 400 lbs. tongue weight.

5000 ft. elevation has a significant negative effects on any vehicle... the Ridgeline will tow what you describe but it won't be much fun and fuel mileage will be very low.

If that configuration is a regular part of your driving plans I would consider a different vehicle. If that configuration is a once or twice a year occurrence then you'll be fine.

#35 ·
Steve, I can't answer your question about sag, but would refer you to search out the many threads here on towing.. many of which are towing far more than you. There was a member here at one time who was towing a very heavy (way beyond spec) trailer all over the southeast. I would certainly not advise that.

IAC, I sense that you are comfy with the tow capacity of the RL, but are unsure of the sag when fully loaded. Again, all I know to tell you is to look at the various threads on towing here and ask some of those members.

Now, just out of curiosity, where 'bouts in Louisiana do you find 5000 ft elevations? :D

#36 ·
We have relatives in Colorado and Arizona, in fact some as high as 7,000 ft. Most of our towing will be below 500 ft., but I just wanted to include the worst scenario.
My 3.4 Toyota T100 V6 with 220 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3600 rpms can handle it, but it has pretty stout leaf springs on the rear, so not much sag. I'm not sure about the Ridgeline's coil springs.

#38 ·
With about 200lbs of gear in the bed and 525 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch, I get about 1.5" of sag. It's enough that if I were to do it at night, I'd make myself familiar with adjusting the headlights.

Frankly, judging from a recent discussion of other "real trucks" on my boating forum, this amount of sag is not much for a half-ton with no levelling air bags. It's also consistent with a head-to-head comparison that I did with an late 1990's Silverado 1500 when my Ridgeline was new.

#39 ·
That's encouraging news. It seems to me that coil spring spacers would correct your sag if they were available.
I'll bet Honda puts elec. adjustable headlights on the next Ridgeline.
My T100 sags at least an inch with 400 lb. tongue weight and 200 lbs. more or less in the bed. My T100 is about the same overall size as the Ridgeline, but weighs 900 lbs. less.
I'm amazed at how beefy the Ridgeline is. At 4,570 lbs., it is rather porky, so must be fairly robust. The Ridgeline's 1,480 lb. payload capacity is close to that of big pickups.
Hey, you are in Ontario. What elev. are you towing at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.