Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Towing

4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  # 1 hondaman 
#1 ·
I just got a travel trailer Jayco 19h. I drove it home two weeks ago on a full tank of gas and got 134 miles before the gas light came on. Give or take being that there is about 4 gallons in reserve that is about 7.4 mpg...Does anyone else have any insight on this, is this normal. It was just me driving and the dry weight is 3620 which it was dry...I drove between 60 and 70 miles per hour

#3 ·
Not sure if there was cross wind....I actually felt every now and then a little jerking in the back, kinda of like chugging..New to towing so don't know if that was normal...Any reccomendations on checking this out?

#5 ·
No, tugging should not be happening when cruising at a steady speed on level ground. Try jacking up the trailor wheels and see if the wheels turn freely. If so, have someone that knows what they are doing troubleshooting trailor issues look to see if there is some reason your trailor breaks could be engaging while driving down the road without your foot pushing on the brake pedal. You could check to see if you have the correct amount of transmission fluid in the transmission as well as checking the trucks brakes to verify that they are not dragging.

#8 ·
usually get about 275 miles out of a tank before the light comes on...Never got passed 300 miles on a tank

#14 ·
Is this all city (Stop light to stop light driving) or highway (Over 200 miles) or combo (some stop light to stop light with highway trips under 50 miles)?

I do not believe cruise control is your issue.

#9 ·
Is this all city (Stop light to stop light driving) or highway (Over 200 miles) or combo (some stop light to stop light with highway trips under 50 miles)?

What type of gasoline are you putting in and what is the ethonal rating of it?

#11 ·
#12 ·
Ha...Funny about the cruise control....I used the cruise control almost the whole trip cause I thought it would save me..You think that is the issue?

#15 ·
Usually it is mostly highway but a little city driving in there, stop and go. I do though have a heavy foot though when I am driving without a trailer

#17 ·
what is driveline drag (Possible hanging brakes) and how do I check or fix that. Is that something with the trailer or something with the truck?. I am gonna try premium next time I tow and see the results of that and not use the cruise control

#18 ·
I recommend that you take the truck and the trailor to a trusted service location (Where you purchased the trailor would be best, or the where you bought the truck) and have the entire package (Truck and trailor together) diagnosed. There could be brake, transmission, driver, or no issues. Also, have the trailor weighed on a scale and then weigh the truck and trailor on a scale to verify the weight of eack part of the package as you might be suprised how much the tow weight actually is.

#19 ·
Where were you towing?

This would make a huge difference. If you're towing in the Rockies I'd say 7mpg might be understandable. If towing on I-10 thru the flattest area of West Texas I'd expect 10 mpg.

#20 ·
I was towing on the NY State Thruway from Albany to Rockland County. Some things I have noticed based on the responses is. First I used cruise control. At first I was going between 60 and 65 then once I began feel comfortable I set the cruise to 70. I don't use a WDH and just use a sway bar. From what I am learning if I took off the cruise and maintained a speed of around 62 to max 65 then my mileage would have been a lot better. Checked my wheels and brake lines today and they are fine. I was told that no WDH, hitting bumps, wind etc can make the back end buck or feel like it is bucking. Apparantly with the weight I am going with that is normal. I guess my big thing is no cruise and maintaining about 60-65 which I plan on doing and giving a report back. Again any of you with hybrid trailers around 4000 dry I would appreciate feedback

#21 ·
I just towed a 96 Grand Am on my 16ft flatbed from Wichita Falls, TX back here to Cheyenne, WY and over the entire 800 mile trip, I averaged right arount 12 mpg. A couple of legs of the trip I got 15 because of a nice tailwind:), but overall 12 and that is with the cruise on and going around 70 mph until I got into Colorado and did the speed limit (75).

Sounds like you may have some issues with your set-up you might want to have checked out.

#22 ·
Hi Brian, Do not believe any of the published weights and drive it to a public scale to find the actual weight. Read all you can about proper loading of the camper once you do decide on a destination. There is tons of great travel trailer info here on the ROC and you can use the search feature to get more.
Most of our members who have travel trailers are more than willing to help.

ROC-On!, Happy camping and welcome to this great club.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Brian, What you are experiencing is not out of the ordinary. I have several threads regarding the same. Part of your issue is wind resistance of a higher trailer, part of it is the lack of low end torque of the Ridge. I average in the low nines and worse on that stretch of highway. I make the run from Jersey to Albany and all throughout upstate NY towing a 3500 lb enclosed high roof trailer. Welcome to the search for low end torque...

Definitely stay away from cruise control, and let her drop on the hills. Try to stay in OD or 4th gear; once you drop to third and start pushing 4,000 rpm you can hear the gas level dropping.

#24 ·
I agree to stay away from the cruise control when towing. However, if you use the cruise set it after you know the ridgy will stay on one gear and not search. Also, if you are not pushed to keep up with the traffic, then just slow down, save gas and the environment. You just may take in more sights!

#25 ·
You guys talk about gears and keeping in fourth or OD, confused on that...Should I basically be keeping it in the reg drive on the shifter? That is what I have been doing.

#27 ·
Egads, no! That button, labelled "D3", is strictly for engine braking when going down steep hills. If you leave it in D3 for long at highway speeds, you can overheat your transmission. This is explained in the owner's manual.

For towing, leave the transmission in D with no special setting. Some people have reported a lot of hunting between 4th and 5th, and sometimes down to 3rd gear. Mentioned above is that using cruise control can make this worse, hence the advice to avoid cruise control.

These issues may be reduced with the retuned engine and transmission for the 2009 model year. I won't be towing for some time, so hopefully someone else with a 2009 and who tows heavy can report.

#29 · (Edited)
I read the manual on this but when other posters talked about keeping certain gears I thought perhaps there was more. I did what the manual said and kept it in drive...I never touch the D3 on the side of the shifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.