Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Towing Help

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  firefighter3666 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a trailer to assist in my move from NC back NJ. What I am really looking for are some answers to hopefully simple questions.

- Is a 6x10 enclosed trailer to big to pull?
- will i need a brake controller for the trailer?
- How do I measure tongue weight?

- I have a Drawtight hitch installed.

#2 ·
6x10 should be fine. The truck can handle 5000 pounds towing and the tongue weight needs to be less than 600 pounds. Most 6x10 trailers will be about 1800-2000 pounds when empty, so, depending on the GVWR of the trailer, you should be able to load up to 3000 pounds or so.

If the trailer doesn't have brakes (7-way round connector), you won't need a brake controller. Federal law allows up to 3000 pounds GVWR without the need for trailer brakes. Personally, I much prefer to have the brakes when towing more than 1500 pounds or so.

To measure tongue weight, see this article: http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/tongueweight.html

Good luck!

#3 ·
Check your state law. Calif. has a 1500# limit w/o brakes.
I just towed a 16X7 trailer for 2400 mi. loaded with ~2500#, half the way. The truck had no problems at all. It does have electric brakes, so I used the Tekonsha P3 I use for my travel trailer.
The trailer was borrowed from a friend, and the bearings were pretty dry. Make sure that they are well greased before starting off.

#6 ·
That $275 must have been one way, because the 6x12 tandem axle is only $29.95/day if you take it back empty.

BTW my Ridgeline has towed that big, heavy, ugly, wind trap 6x12 tandem axle U-Haul countless times, without a brake controller, but with the proper OEM hitch and harness, and as long as it is loaded correctly, it tows like a dream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.