Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Towing

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FL240 
#1 ·
I am considering buying either a 07 or 06 Ridgeline. I would like some input from any users that use this truck to tow a boat, or trailer. I have a older ski boat and will be using this truck to pull it. I want to know how the V6 pulls, if it struggles up hills and the like. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

#2 ·
By "older ski boat", I take that you mean one of those under-2000-lb items from yesteryear. That's not a problem at all.

I occasionally tow a wakeboarding boat and trailer that combine (with fuel and gear) to be right at the Ridgeline's 5000 weight limit. The handling is good -- about the same as my father's late 1990's Silverado. That's not a surprise, as the Ridgline is almost the same weight as this older Silverado.

As for power, I have no qualms about the hour-long drives through modestly hilly cottage country. Before buying the RL, I also checked this forum for other users who had similar loads for much longer time and difficult situations. Opinions vary, with some people having no difficulty and others wanting a V8. I think that the main difference is simply expectations. If you are used to a V8, it can feel unfamiliar to send a V6 to higher RPM's when you need the extra power. However, there is no need to worry about the RL's engine being able to handle it. The VTEC kick doesn't even engage until abut 4500 RPM.

The most important items to know are your boat/trailer/fuel/gear's total weight and tongue weight. Also, does your trailer have brakes?

#3 ·
Joe--although there's been plenty of grumbling from the "full size" crowd, the RL can haul more confidently than anything I've towed with. We have hauled our 17' Hi-Lo around, and loaded up it weighs around 3200 pounds. Instead of inter-states, I look for the narrow twisties, ha ha ha. Do a search around here in the towing section and you'll see some pretty amazing accounts of the Ridgeline's towing abilities.

#4 ·
Hey thanks for the replies. As far as my boat goes it's an 89 Supra. It's right around 3000 lbs, minus the trailer which is single axle. (I am not sure as to the weight of the trailer. I currently pull it with a pathfinder which does the job....but is slugglish on hills. (Dont even think about passing another car). I really like the Ridgeline...I just dont want the same lack of power I have from my current vehicle. Thanks again for the input.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.