LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RT
Model Year: 2014
Color: Sterling Gray Metallic
Do I pull the trigger?

Hello Ridgeline Owners!
First let me say that for the last 4 years I have thoroughly enjoyed our Ridgeline RT and this forum. The forum has not only saved me a ton of money, but has gotten me to know my vehicle and what it takes to keep it running smoothly over the years.

Here is my dilemma, if you could call it that. I have been looking to upgrade our 2008 RT with 91K. I have yet to do the 100K dreaded maintenance and the tire shop guys (while getting tires rotated and balanced @ Les Schwab) says we are in need of struts. The vehicle does shimmy a bit. I am thinking about a 3K bill coming my way at the dealer very soon.

The dealer where I purchased our Ridge has a very clean 2014 RL with 8K on it. I saw it today and the only real upgrade from our 2008 is a rear view camera, 85K less miles, and not so many scratches and dings, not to mention that new car smell is still there. First offer was 26K and 10K for ours plus taxes and other assorted docs. I was thinking of a counter 25K, you add the Honda wiring for the hitch, and 10K for ours. I have seen the preliminary 2016 Ridgeline views and it looks like a Tundra or F-150.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns? Or just what the hell are you waiting for man, 2016?

As always, my extended gratitude to those Ridgeline owners that know a whole hell of a lot more than I do.
John

All roads Nevada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Re: Do I pull the trigger?

Personally, I'd say DO it. I upgraded from my 06 to a 10. I was hoping to bring the gap to the new model. I might make it. But in your case, if you bump up to the 2014, you can at least wait out the first model year hiccups before you buy your next one.

Either way, best of luck.

Embo_9

Former owner '06 Ridgeline RTL Redrock Pearl
'10 Ridgeline RTL Crystal Black
'15 Toyota RAV4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Model: SE
Color: White/Black

No, there were many more changes in 2009.

Exterior Styling and Features

Grille (design)
Front bumper (design)
Rear bumper (design)
Integrated trailer hitch (standard for RT, RTS and RTL)
7-pin trailer wiring connector (new for RTS and RTL)
Fog lights (RTL)
18-inch alloy wheels (RTL)
Powertrain

Horsepower and torque (increased)
Transmission gear ratios (lower for better acceleration)
Interior Styling and Features

Steering-wheel design
3-D-look speedometer, tachometer and IP meter designs
New front-seat active head restraints
New trip computer
New MP3/WMA compatibility
Auxiliary audio input jack (RTS and RTL)
New black interior color
Power lumbar support (RTS)
New integrated rearview camera (RTL w/Navi)
New Bluetooth HandsFreeLink (RTL w/Navi)
Air conditioning controls (more ergonomic)
Air conditioning display (larger icons)

You will be disappointed going from a 2009 - 2014 to a pre 2009.

-Joe

Last edited by csimo; 02-12-2015 at 11:02 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 08:14 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model Year: 2012
Color: White/Grey
Garage

Here's my 2ct.

Go for it, you are unlikely to find another 2014 with only 8k miles.

Then wait till at least 2017 for all the glitches to get sorted out of the 2nd generation and then trade for a 2nd generation if you like it better.

Robert

2012 RTL/Navi
USA SPEC PA15-Hon2 iPod Adapter
Rear Splash Guards
Hertz D16 Dash Tweeters (used from ROC member)
JBL GT6-6 Speakers (4)
Dynamat added to doors
BedRug (floor and tailgate only)
BakFlip G2 (used from ROC member)
Weathertech Mats (front and rear)
DynoLock tailgate lock installed
Electric Pop&Lock replaced failed DynoLock
Figgs hood prop kit (NIB from ROC member)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model Year: 2006
Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige

If your 08 is paid for I'd keep it & pass on the 14.

91K miles aren't anything for these trucks, just getting started in life. I've got 210K plus miles on mine with the factory struts. It's probably not absolutely necessary to replace your struts now. Mine aren't like new but still get the job done & I've beat my truck pretty hard off-road most weekends hunting, fishing, camping ect...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2012
Color: Polished Metal Metallic

Hard to argue with any one person's rationale when the new car (truck) bug bites. If you want the new one, this is the USA...go for it.

Just economically speaking, you will take a pretty good $$ hit on the 2014 once the Gen2 hits next year. I would not do the trade unless you plan to keep the 2014 for 4-6 years. That would put you out to 2020. Again we are talking economics.

Along the same line, if you put 3K into your truck and get another 100k miles from it, you will not be able to match that economically speaking with anything else out there. I drove my 2006 for 7 years (3 of those with no payments) and about 200k miles with all original suspension and drive train until it was traded for a new 2012 model. The only service to the engine/tranny was regular fluid changes and the TB/waterpump change at 100k.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: EX-L
Model Year: 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRider View Post
Hello Ridgeline Owners!
First let me say that for the last 4 years I have thoroughly enjoyed our Ridgeline RT and this forum. The forum has not only saved me a ton of money, but has gotten me to know my vehicle and what it takes to keep it running smoothly over the years.

Here is my dilemma, if you could call it that. I have been looking to upgrade our 2008 RT with 91K. I have yet to do the 100K dreaded maintenance and the tire shop guys (while getting tires rotated and balanced @ Les Schwab) says we are in need of struts. The vehicle does shimmy a bit. I am thinking about a 3K bill coming my way at the dealer very soon.

The dealer where I purchased our Ridge has a very clean 2014 RL with 8K on it. I saw it today and the only real upgrade from our 2008 is a rear view camera, 85K less miles, and not so many scratches and dings, not to mention that new car smell is still there. First offer was 26K and 10K for ours plus taxes and other assorted docs. I was thinking of a counter 25K, you add the Honda wiring for the hitch, and 10K for ours. I have seen the preliminary 2016 Ridgeline views and it looks like a Tundra or F-150.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns? Or just what the hell are you waiting for man, 2016?

As always, my extended gratitude to those Ridgeline owners that know a whole hell of a lot more than I do.
John
Put the money into the old one and save up for the 2017 model.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Model Year: 2006
Color: Amazon Green / Olive

if you're existing truck still looks good, I agree you just maintain it & move ahead until you need to refresh, and by then you can be looking at the G2, or if you don't like it, you can get a 2014 for much less at that time.
You're just getting started at 91K miles.

Dnick :0
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Well, I went ahead and did it.

The 'new' 2014 RT RL with 8K was $15,600 with my 08 RT RL in trade that had 91K. I weighed both pros and cons and went with it. I get all the upgrades from an 08 without the upcoming 100K maintenance plus I needed tires.
First 300 miles, BIG difference in sound and engine performance.
I forgot to switch out my Fumoto valve, so now I have to order a new one. Damn!
I was prepared for the 'buy the extended warranty' pitch by the finance guy thanks to the ROC forum! Gave it a miss, but can reconsider before 36K.
Now I need to get all the goodies that I put on the last one. First up is the OEM wiring harness for the hitch. Great instructions on the Towing forum!
My thanks to all!
John

All roads Nevada.

Last edited by NVRider; 02-16-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add photo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 PM

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2011
Color: White/Grey

On the surface that doesn't sound like a terrible deal, but ...

A timing belt ($1K all the other related stuff) plus struts (seek a second opinion) will be a whole lot cheaper than car payments - and would last you for another 90K+ miles. Add in the insurance and sales tax/ registration differences and you're golden; plus keep in mind, the dealer will still make a goodly profit.

Today, 200K miles is no problem on most vehicles.

EDIT: Due to page breaks I missed the part where it's a done deal. Now just enjoy it.

2014 F250 XLT, 6.7L, 4x4, CC, LB
pulls Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel

Last edited by Wrascal; 02-16-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: EDIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode