About to pull the trigger need some last minute advice - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

About to pull the trigger need some last minute advice

After weeks and weeks of research which consisted of YouTube videos, forum browsing on here, and test driving two different Ridgelines I've decided I'm going to purchase one on Thursday. This will be the second vehicle I've ever owned and I expect to take this one as long and as far as I can take it while keeping it maintained. I've decided on the RTL-E and the timing has worked out well as the dealer I was at last Friday had a RTL-E on its way that would arrive this week. So I put my deposit down for it and have been doing some last minute research before it arrives.

Like I said I've done a fair bit of research but some answers I could not find so I would like some input with the questions below:

1. The wiring harness recall. After looking at threads pertaining to the recall I've gathered a lot of information but can someone confirm to me if the Ridgelines that come out of production now have had this issue resolved? From what I could gather this issue affected the first batch of trucks that were produced in or before August 16. I just want to make sure I have the correct information.

2. The hesitation issue appears to only affect the front wheel drive models, is this accurate?

3. I have the pre delivery checklist that was posted here on the forums and will be looking for all of those stated issues. I'll also be driving the vehicle thoroughly before I commit to purchasing it and looking to see if there is hesitation or body rocking at stops. Any other input any new owners want to share with any additional issues to look for? Am I wrong in assuming that the more of these vehicles that are produced the less and less defects occur?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to having a good inspection of RTL-E on Thursday and hopefully driving it home that night as the new owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTL-T
Model Year: 2017
Color: Crystal Black Pearl
Re: About to pull the trigger need some last minute advice

I bought my RL the beginning of December. A friend recommended I join this site. I kept hearing these horror stories and thought what am I getting into. Apparently nothing because I have had none of the issues described.

Mine was beyond the wiring harness issue. That little cable thingy you need for towing was in the glove box. No odd sounds, nothing, I love this truck as much or more than the day we drove it home. Every machine has the ability to have something go wrong but remember for every one person who says they have this issue or that, there are probably hundreds that will never have those issues or any issues at all.

I can say my RL has never hesitated but I do have the AWD.
Haymoose likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: BLACK
Color: Crystal Black Pearl

Yes, the recall was for early trucks so any being built now are not subject to the recall. I haven't read of any hesitation problems on AWD RLs & not everyone with FWD experienced hesitation. Theoretically & ideally any vehicle will see fewer problems as more are built but mechanical things being what they are sometimes things go wrong & defects slip through. Don't over think this - if you've made up your mind enjoy the experience. Good luck & congrats!
Haymoose likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Model: RT
Color: Modern Steel Metalic

I'm pretty sure anything you're buying now is well past the recall. I purchased a RT in November...no recall.

Yeah, it has the post brake shake. Not a deal breaker.

No hesitation...ever. I do have an AWD model.

Really, it's a fantastic truck.
Haymoose and JoWoodburn like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Bali Blue Pearl

There well always be bugs in any new vehicle . No matter what price point.
Many many years ago (I will not admit to). I was complaining about my car and he said this.
Cars are mechanical devices. Put together by human hands (sorta now a days) Has 2 strikes out of three before we get our hands on it.😂😂

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
JoWoodburn likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2010
Color: Bali Blue Pearl

This was to my dad

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Haymoose likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Model: RTL-T
Color: Lunar Silver Metalic

RTL-T FWD here with no issues regarding hesitation. I'm excited for you!
Haymoose likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Model: RTL-E
Color: Deep Scarlet Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWoodburn View Post
I bought my RL the beginning of December. A friend recommended I join this site. I kept hearing these horror stories and thought what am I getting into. Apparently nothing because I have had none of the issues described.

Mine was beyond the wiring harness issue. That little cable thingy you need for towing was in the glove box. No odd sounds, nothing, I love this truck as much or more than the day we drove it home. Every machine has the ability to have something go wrong but remember for every one person who says they have this issue or that, there are probably hundreds that will never have those issues or any issues at all.

I can say my RL has never hesitated but I do have the AWD.
ditto!!
Haymoose likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies, I feel much better and more confident that things will go very smooth come Thursday. Appreciate all the good feedback on the hesitation and recall issues. I'm excited to buy this truck as it really fits my families needs to a T. It's almost like they designed the truck around what I and my family needs lol

Also Tidewater BE hit the nail on the head with me, I need to not overthink this and just enjoy the experience. Damn anxiety makes me overthink things but I'm getting much better with it.

I look forward to updating this post Friday with how my buying experience went and my first impressions of the RL.
DSERVIT likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 PM

Model: RTS
Color: White Diamond Pearl

I think all RL's have the "shake" if you look for it. Also see if you like the brake pedal feel. Not sure about the hesitation. I think it exists. I also notice it in my Accord and I think the RL (AWD) but you have to be getting on the gas kind of hard out of a corner. It's rare IMO. Most importantly, your build date on the sticker by the driver's rocker panel should be a fairly recent within the last month or so. Although minor, when I picked mine up there were "body plugs" in the console as well as a cover for the shift lock. These items were checked off as addressed on the pre delivery inspection list which I signed. Obviously my dealer just checked all of the items off and who knows what they really did. There was a razor blade on the floor and the positive battery terminal cover was in the up position. The forum helped me out on the body plugs I had no idea what they were but I just installed myself. A month or so after I got the RL, the H on the tailgate was loose. It's held in by pins and double sided tape. I took it off removed the tape and purchased some of the same size double sided tape and reinstalled. It wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer for the navi code and radio code. The actual codes and not how to get them. I'm not sure what the procedure is for an E. You should have 2 key fobs one of which will have a white attachment denoting a key code and the brake controller wire connector.

Paint imperfections, panel gaps/fit leaks. If you find any issue don't let the dealer explain it away. It may be an inconvenience but there will always be another RL. Small chance that you will have any issues with the truck itself and you know what to look for so good luck to you and enjoy the E.
Shineaholic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode