Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

coming over

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  scram1 
#1 ·
hey everyone,

I'm the owner of a 2005 honda Element, which I love, but circumstances have changed (read: new addition to the family coming in about 7-8 more months). the Element only seats two in the back, and we're gonna need three. So...I'm coming over to the dark side.

Honestly, I've always really liked the Ridgeline, and I'll be buying used. just wondering what are the must-do-mods, and are there any red flags I should look out for in terms of gremlins specific top models/years? I think the truck looks great in stock form, but I like what some of you have done with your wheel/tire combos. I won't be going off-roading (not by plan, right now anyway) so I doubt I'll be getting lifted, I live in nyc and I think the truck will do well on our crappy roads.

This is a great site, from what I can tell so far, and I'll be keeping this thread updated about my potential vehicle. Thanks!

Marc

#2 ·
dark side? looks like the bright side to me :)

there is not much different btwn models from 06 to present...they just have more features the newer the year.

there are no red flags that im aware of but you should get plenty of responses here very shortly.

#3 ·
Marc,
Welcome to the club and good luck with the search. I find that side steps or running boards always help especially for the wife and kids but is up to you what look you want. Search around there is plenty on the forum to find.
John

#7 ·
thanks StoneRidge. I was wondering that, as I felt steps/running boards would have been a help even on my Element. which do you prefer?

Welcome to the ROC, Come on over...
there is quite a few mods for the ridge with lots of options for each, so take your time and mod to suite your style, and you'll get lots of help on here so ask away
Thanks Stewie!

Hey Marc,

As a previous '03 Element owner myself, I can only tell you that it gets better from the day you drive-off in your Ridgeline leaving your Element behind. Go for it!

Truthfully, the Element was a blast to drive with plenty of room to spare but in the end, the Ridgeline wins overall hands down.:)
hey Andy, thats great to hear.

#5 ·
Hey Marc,

As a previous '03 Element owner myself, I can only tell you that it gets better from the day you drive-off in your Ridgeline leaving your Element behind. Go for it!

Truthfully, the Element was a blast to drive with plenty of room to spare but in the end, the Ridgeline wins overall hands down.:)

#8 ·
Marc, welcome to the ROC, and I hope you can find a great Ridgeline in the price range you want. I'm a big fan of the Element, but I chose the Ridgeline because of its versatility. Just depends on what you want a vehicle for.

As far as accessories, I'd sure recommend running boards, as others have suggested. Just helps with others getting into and out of your vehicle. The other mod I'd strongly suggest is a bed cover. When you're traveling, it's just nice to have a place to store your belongings out of the weather. (NOTE...none of the bed covers are completely waterproof....but most all of them are 95-99.5%). I chose the Retrax, and couldn't be more pleased with it. And I'd sure recommend the Pop n' Lock for a tailgate lock. You can lock the Retrax, but without the Pop 'n Lock...or other tailgate lock (like DynoLock), you can't fully secure the bed.

Best of luck with your RL shopping. Some great deals out there now. Hope you find a great one. Please let us know what you decide.
Tom

#9 ·
Tom, thanks for the welcome. A bed cover is definitely on my list of equipment to get, and I was wondering about the waterproof-ability of the ones I've seen on the forum. As far as the tailgate locks, can any of them be made to lock/unlock using the remote? (I'm probably reaching here, but it would be cool)

#19 ·
yeah, that's a great idea r, I know the RTX has the hitch receiver stock, do any of the others? (not counting the new ones)

If I lived in NYC, I would not change the stock wheels and tires. You will need all the tire meat you can get to deal with the road conditions, and if you trash a wheel, finding a used replacement is easy and inexpensive.

The first mod you should get is a full sized spare.
yeah, I was thinking of keeping the stockers shovelhd, maybe painting the rims, depending on the color I get. will a full sized spare fit in the stock compartment?

Good luck in your quest.

I see someone mentioned you are from NY. Perhaps this is not too far from you and would work for both?

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28719
thanks speed. I actually came across that yesterday and sent him a PM. still waiting to hear back. my brother knows a car dealer and says I could probably do well there. I bought my Element that way and it is great.

#17 ·
If I lived in NYC, I would not change the stock wheels and tires. You will need all the tire meat you can get to deal with the road conditions, and if you trash a wheel, finding a used replacement is easy and inexpensive.

The first mod you should get is a full sized spare.

#18 ·
#22 · (Edited)
I have had no regrets...until I saw my Element on the road about 2 months ago....9 months after I traded it in. It would be different if did know it was mine...but how many Elements look exactly like this (below). Anyways, the only thing I miss about the Element was...it was paid off!!....oh and my gadgets. Other than that...Having a four door truck that sits five was enough to have me get rid of the Element. The suicide doors drove me crazy. LOL. I cannot recall how many times a passenger in the back of Element would open the suicide door.... while I still have my seatbelt on!!

The iSimple for the iPod was my first mod...and the most important. I gotta have my tunes!!

Good Luck on the purchase!

Attachments

#23 ·
Wow, that's a pretty sweet lookin Element! yeah, the suicide doors have their plusses and minuses, but only seating 2 in the back was the killer, BizzKit.

I'm hoping to jump into the carputer scene like crimson(I think that's his tag) and his RL, so I can have my entire iTunes library at my disposal.

thanks for the luck!

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.