LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2009
Color: Bali Blue Pearl
Should I pull the trigger?

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a certified pre-owned 2008/2009 Ridgeline and wanted to see if the collective here thinks I should pull the trigger or not.

I can either get a 2008 RTL (w/nav):
http://www.primehondacars.com/certif...61825ebd4b.htm

or a 2009 RTL (no nav):
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ealer_id=71749

The price is about the same for either, the first dealer will not budge on pricing (their policy, have tried). They are willing to throw in OEM 2 way remote start + OEM hitch + wiring harness for hitch for $900 addl. I don't need a hitch right now, but will in the near future. Unknown with the second dealer regarding negotiation - haven't went that far with them yet.

Working up KBB, based on options and addons, there is only a $1.3k difference between the two (with the 2009 being worth more). The 2008 was owned by a manager at the dealership and has a better service history and is flawless in all respects. The 2009 is a year newer and has more options (no nav though), but I haven't seen it in person yet. I could also hold off and pick one up in North Carolina, as I make trips down there every 60 days.

Advice?

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model: VP
Color: Sterling Gray Metallic
Re: Should I pull the trigger?

I got a 2009 at a time when 2008's were discounted. I wanted the revised engine and transmission because I knew that I'd occasionally be towing at the 5000 lb limit and wanted the advantage. It's probably also an improvement if you like to pass on the highway a lot.

I do not like the Ridgeline's steering wheel design, but the 2009 is better.

Production shifted from Alliston, Ontario to Lincoln, Alabama partway through the 2009 production year. More fit and finish issues have been reported for the late 2009 and the 2010 models, but it's unlikely that you'd hit a problem here (because the first owner probably would have had them fixed). Still, if you care, the origin can be seen on the sticker in the driver's door frame. If it has Canada mentioned several times, it's from before production moved.

Poor maintenance can hobble a great vehicle over time. It would be worth finding out if that 2009 has them available.

Other than the above issues, either of the choices will probably make you happy.

Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2008
Color: Billet Silver Metallic

Agreed. If you plan on towing, the 2009 will be marginally better with the revised engine and tranny ratio tweaks. In addition, the 2009 will have the full OEM towing harness and hitch factory installed. Nothing wrong with having it done later as long as the OEM harness is used.

The 2009 is listed at ~62k miles. I don't see any mileage on the 2008. You will have a rear camera on the 2008 since it has the NAV pkg. That might be useful for backing up to whatever you're towing.

Edit: I notice the 2008 has about 59k miles on it after looking at the pics.

Maintenance would be a large factor for me in the decision process. If I didn't have any confidence in the maintenance of the 2009, I would lean towards the known history on the 2008.

Have you driven them both yet?

Also, since you mention that you travel a lot, that expands your reasonable search area considerably.

I see they left the right rear seat down on the 2008. Check it when up to make sure the support leg lays flat against the seat bottom. If it sticks out, the pulley is broken and should be repaired using the metal pulleys that Honda now provides for this. Early fixes called for replacing the entire seat assembly for a 5 cent plastic pulley. Very pricey fix.

That might give you some wiggle room in the price too, if you consider fixing that on your own. Instructions can be found here at the ROC.

2008 Ridgeline RTS in BSM

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

1999 Civic LX 5 speed manual in metalflake black

2009 Corolla S

Last edited by speedlever; 01-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
You will have a rear camera on the 2008 since it has the NAV pkg. That might be useful for backing up to whatever you're towing.

Only if the previous owner added it on a 2008.

#567 HPD-Shut Up and Drive...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Oh. Thanks for that correction. I thought the rear camera was part of the NAV package.

2009 Corolla S
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Oh. Thanks for that correction. I thought the rear camera was part of the NAV package.
2009 was the first year.

#567 HPD-Shut Up and Drive...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Gotcha. Thanks.

2009 Corolla S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model Year: 2011

Welcome to the club...

aka Ron
U.S. Army (retired) , ASE Certified: Master automotive, Master Med/Heavy truck, Master School bus

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal, scratch and dents in the tailgate.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Cool Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Welcome to the ROCThe bullbar(OEM for show only) on the black one is plasticThe one the blue one has is after market and is metal Other than that there both nice looking rides

Moonroof & Nav,Roof Rack,Running Boards,Backup Camera,Hitch,Rear Mud Guards & Lady Decals,Pin Stripes & Decals(Ridgeline Extreme,4X4, names & owners club,2006 MotorTrend),Air Deflector,Underseat Storeage,Dog Deck,Retrax Cover,Vent Visors,Dash Plate & Mat,Tube Hitch Step ,XM,DR & W/W Trim,Side Mouldings,Full size spare,Bull Bar,Door Seals & license plate frame(by 5S)

I took the road less traveled, now I don't know where the hell I am See ya at the top of the mountain

Last edited by BIGGUY; 01-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

I did it

Decided to go with the blue 2009, as it was $4k under kbb. They were basically asking for loan value / trade-in for it (paid $24). Newer year than the other one, dealer seemed less shady, more addons (not just those the previous owner decided to leave behind/couldn't strip off ), and the ease of financing a vehicle being sold at loan value cinched the deal for me.

Thanks for the heads up on the fitment issues, this one was assembled in Alabama. The truck is absolutely flawless inside and out (not even a scratch in the bed of the truck), but the front and rear bumper covers did have some gaps/fitment issues present (on one side on the back, and at the corners of the headlights on the front). They are squaring these away as part of the deal though (will remove the covers and reattach/repair fitment issues).

I used the checklist from the forum, no issues with anything listed. The maintenance records that the dealership had were also more complete than what was listed on the carfax, so I'm comfortable there as well (plus it comes with a bumper to bumper 1yr/12k and 7yr/100k powertrain warranty)

Already signed off and insured, picking it up on Friday.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode